More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

DaVo

Re: 2011 Mixie Awards

Post by DaVo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:02 pm

joseph wrote:i enjoy bushmills quite a lot. i have no idea what lannys problem is with it though.
guinness ill drink because it tastes like water and milk mixed together(to me) but i dont really want more than one every six months or so. id much rather have a sam smith or murphys or something else. im not that much of a beer person and isnt guinness like 4%? and budweiser closer to 4.5%? i like booze in my booze.
I've moved him in the other direction on the Bushmills vs Jameson. There was a standard belief that since Bushmills ws distilled in Northern Ireland that it was Protestant thus supported the Orange and Jameson was distilled in the Republic and was thus pro Irish Independence. In fact, I've been in a couple of pubs that you could order it that was Protestant(Bushmills) or Catholic(Jameson). This is a completely American thing. Fact is that Jameson was founded by a Scotchman who was more than likely Catholic and the company is now owned by the French. While Bushmills is older and claims the master distiller was Catholic but is owned by an English company.

Taste wise I like the Bushmills mainly cause it's lighter and smoother. Jameson tends to have that "burning kick to the balls and this going to give you heartburn" effect that I tend to think of when I think of Wild Turkey and Jack(I think I just threw up a little in my throat) Daniels.

Guinness has been my Milk for close to 20 years. Murphy's too me has always tasted like flat Guinness. Sam Smith has some great brews and a wonderful history behind them. Also like the Milk Stout, Mackeson stout but I haven't had one in years and don't even know who still stocks it.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

Darrin

Post by Darrin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:28 pm

Wild Turkey is a top choice of mine at bars because everyone has it and it's actually pretty good.

I think those styles of stouts are either too creamy and just boring/weak in general. There are a lot of really great microbrewed imperial stouts from American breweries though. So good in the winter.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:43 pm

Darrin wrote:Wild Turkey is a top choice of mine at bars because everyone has it and it's actually pretty good.

I think those styles of stouts are either too creamy and just boring/weak in general. There are a lot of really great microbrewed imperial stouts from American breweries though. So good in the winter.
See don't really care for most of the Micro Brew stouts because of the over powering sweet flavor and nuttiness that covers up the bitterness that I like in a stout. It's kind of like sweet tea or sugar in your coffee, you either like it or you don't. There is nothing I hate more than asking of a Guinness and having some waiter tell me they have this micro stout that is just fabulous and then getting served this dark milk shake.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:56 pm

the bushmills jameson protestant catholic bullshit is just bullshit. and they were both owned by the same company for a while. diego i think,...

the lanny confusion i have is he stopped serving me "irish" whiskey with ice or club soda. hell give me 2 glasses. one with whiskey and one with ice and club. i dont get it. and he gives me an odd look when i order it. weve had plenty of discussions about our love for bushmills. about waking up in bed cuddling up to a near empty bottle

i like turkey. i learned to like jack. never ever with pop though.

guinness is like the schlitz of stouts to me. but every once in a while a schlitz is pretty damn good.

Darrin

Post by Darrin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:56 pm

Either we're posting about two different things or you live in some bizarro world. Actually I find myself thinking that pretty often on this board...you said you liked milk stouts one post earlier.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:06 pm

joseph wrote:the bushmills jameson protestant catholic bullshit is just bullshit. and they were both owned by the same company for a while. diego i think,...

the lanny confusion i have is he stopped serving me "irish" whiskey with ice or club soda. hell give me 2 glasses. one with whiskey and one with ice and club. i dont get it. and he gives me an odd look when i order it. weve had plenty of discussions about our love for bushmills. about waking up in bed cuddling up to a near empty bottle

guinness is like the schlitz of stouts to me. but every once in a while a schlitz is pretty damn good.
Oh you are that guy. It's a purest thing. Irish whiskey is not to be mixed. It's kind of like ordering a Martini and bitching cause it's Gin instead of Vodka or asking to mix 12year scotch with soda pop. It's like wearing white after labor day, elbows on the table and spitting on the sidewalk. It's something a well rounded person just doesn't do and I'm guessing he just doesn't want to be a part of it.

But hey it's not as bad as ordering Bubble Gum flavored Vodka.

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:15 pm

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:20 pm

Darrin wrote:Either we're posting about two different things or you live in some bizarro world. Actually I find myself thinking that pretty often on this board...you said you liked milk stouts one post earlier.
I like one or two milk stouts but not that often. I made the reference to Guinness and Milk as more of a stable in my drinking than a reference to it's taste.

I find that most of the Micro stuff have more of a relationship with a porter than a stout. Guinness is a completely different animal from all the other stouts on the market because of the roasted unmalted barely. Which gives it a different flavor.

Then again we are trying to describe flavors which are different for everyone. Like the whole wine thing it always comes down to person experience and tastes. You could line up 12 people and have each sample the same thing and come up with 12 different answers to what it tastes like.

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:04 am

DaVo wrote:
joseph wrote:the bushmills jameson protestant catholic bullshit is just bullshit. and they were both owned by the same company for a while. diego i think,...

Oh you are that guy. It's a purest thing. Irish whiskey is not to be mixed. It's kind of like ordering a Martini and bitching cause it's Gin instead of Vodka or asking to mix 12year scotch with soda pop. It's like wearing white after labor day, elbows on the table and spitting on the sidewalk. It's something a well rounded person just doesn't do and I'm guessing he just doesn't want to be a part of it.

But hey it's not as bad as ordering Bubble Gum flavored Vodka.
hahaha i got called "that guy"
its fucking whiskey. i like a splash of soda water. literally a splash. i drink so much that if i drink straight all the time my guts hurt. club soda helps me. if im at home i just walk around with the bottle i only use a glass if i feel like being fancy. my club soda fetish has nothing to do with pop it has to do with digestion. he used to make it then he quit doing it and never explained. hes a bartender thats his job. tevs.

irish aint nothing but a bunch of mongrels anyway.

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:47 am

this is one of my favorite beers

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:52 am

joseph wrote:WIVES ARE OFF LIMITS. what do you take me for a scooter person?
HAHAHA subtle

kurtis
Represent!

Post by kurtis » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:25 pm

joseph wrote: i drink so much that if i drink straight all the time my guts hurt. club soda helps me.

only I dont drink a lot. at least not spirits

kurtis
Represent!

Post by kurtis » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:36 pm

Darrin wrote:
kurtis wrote:
Darrin wrote:I wish Brizzi posted here more so we could have a beer nerd thread.
f brizzi and his fairy beers.

So I work with this dude that has a girl up in Wisconsin and he goes up/she comes down like two or three times a month. Been bringing me back lots of Spotted Cow
Haha Brizzi has a pretty amazing beer cellar. Traded me some of New Glarus' Unplugged series, really good stuff. Spotted Cow is ok, you should try to get a bottle of their Smoked Rye Ale if they still have it up there.

Dude I craved Spotted Cow ever since spring break 2005

Darrin

Post by Darrin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:17 pm

Haha was that what you were drinking on your 21st birthday? I just remember lots of high life.

Also just the other day I was thinking about that dine and dash we did at that diner in the middle of nowhere. Met you outside at the car and you were talking to some old lady who wanted to hitchhike with us.

kurtis
Represent!

Post by kurtis » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:33 pm

Darrin wrote:Haha was that what you were drinking on your 21st birthday? I just remember lots of high life.

Also just the other day I was thinking about that dine and dash we did at that diner in the middle of nowhere. Met you outside at the car and you were talking to some old lady who wanted to hitchhike with us.
yes it was. after my shot of tequila. pitchers were like $3 or something.

I wanted that fat lady in the car when you guys came out but she was all being slow and didn't trust me.

Darrin

Post by Darrin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:18 pm

That would have been hilarious except for my having to sit by her.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:42 pm

just to go back to darrin asking me why i brought up cedar ridge in comparison to templeton....simply because of the superiority it has over templeton as an 'iowa whiskey' not to compare burboun to rye or anything like that...i enjoy the read though and the compare and contrast...good stuff..excuse the spelling errors...

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:48 pm

cedar ridge, buffalo trace, and jim beam white label has been my rotation for several months now...love buffalo trace...templeton is too spicey for me...not really into makers either...they both kinda remind me of jack daniels...not into it....however....i am looking to try a scotch though...opinions? i may have seen a post a couple pages back, maybe i should go look....

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:07 am

TooManyHumyns wrote:cedar ridge, buffalo trace, and jim beam white label has been my rotation for several months now...love buffalo trace...templeton is too spicey for me...not really into makers either...they both kinda remind me of jack daniels...not into it....however....i am looking to try a scotch though...opinions? i may have seen a post a couple pages back, maybe i should go look....
blended scotch isnt terrible either. dewars, glenlivet, j&b is a little harsh, scoresbys is nasty but its better than passport, red label always makes me think of jack daniels for some reason. id still drink any of them.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:51 pm

that living social groupon type website has the deal today of 10 bucks for a 20 dollar voucher for central city if youre interested

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:44 pm

joseph wrote:pop
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:55 pm

yeah, i said that.