More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

joseph

Re: 2011 Mixie Awards

Post by joseph » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:54 pm

for ryes
is my favorite. taught to me by my first bartender.

gins-
gordons- stocking cheap good. best buy
beefeater- want it straight and hard like a good boy.
bombay DRY- prefereable over sapphire(too sweet)
tanq ten is decent but not really worth the price tag.

im really into bitters. and licorice.
ouzo. pernod.
pernod into a peroni is so damn good.
really want to find some pimms cup bars

Darrin

Post by Darrin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:16 pm

I'll look for that rye for sure. For the past year I've really just had a few standbys:

Old Crow (whatever, it's dirt cheap and just good enough that you can drink it neat)
Ancient Age (same as Old Crow)
Buffalo Trace (I enjoy it, though it does seem to be getting more expensive)
Bulleit (same as Buffalo Trace)

I'll order a glass of nice liquor once in awhile at bars but really just keep cheap stuff at home to have on hand for days I don't have beer, or want to go to the store.

kurtis
Represent!

Post by kurtis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:49 pm

Darrin wrote: Bulleit

mmmm

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:00 pm

joseph wrote:i like french beers.
Faggot.

Darrin

Post by Darrin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:27 pm

I wish Brizzi posted here more so we could have a beer nerd thread.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:04 am

joseph wrote:no no no
i hate the fact that they market it as an iowa product. it does not come from here. it is not made here. it can fuck right off.

i understand the sweetness of booze. rye SHOULD be sweaty not sweet. so obviously that recipe sucks.

its called tempelton because some big wig lawyer rich daddies boy didnt want to get a real job so he stole or bought some families recipe and hoodwinked a whole town into believing his hype and now he sells their wares that theyre proud of in other states. fuck that mother fucker with jailbreaks dick.
Since when? Last I heard they were still distilling and aging the batches here. So even if they did move, whatever is on the shelves now was casted 4 years ago. In fact a majority of the batch was being sold to the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division. Something like 80%.

It is slightly sweeter then most Ryes but I have to say that Timpleton added to the flavor of an Old Fashion.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

Shane

Post by Shane » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:14 am

http://www.templetonrye.com/contact/

Says it's still being produced in Templeton, Iowa. You can take a tour of the facility if you don't believe me or this website.
Joey Chaos wrote:Shane's gonna find out the hard way.

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:59 am

I went to an hour long seminar at Bacon Fest this year that was given by that one-armed President douchebag that runs the company. Templeton is distilled at a distillery in Indiana. It has been since the very first batch. It is then shipped back to Iowa to age and be bottled. Most of the grain he said comes from other states or even Europe. Only a very, very small portion of Iowa grains ever make it into their whiskey.

Joseph is right. Though the recipe being used is the original recipe from the bootlegging days and it does come from Templeton, basically nothing else about this whiskey makes it an Iowa whiskey. It's all marketing and they are doing a very good job at hyping this shit (around the Midwest anyway). Other than that, it's a pretty damn good whiskey though!

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:45 am

Shane wrote:http://www.templetonrye.com/contact/

Says it's still being produced in Templeton, Iowa. You can take a tour of the facility if you don't believe me or this website.
Yeah that is kind of strange if it isn't distilled here because the tour page of the site states -

"We typically hold open tours a couple of times per month on dates when guests can see all aspects of our operation: fermentation, distillation and bottling."

However if they only age and bottle this this would make sense -"Templeton Rye distillery tours include a guided walk through our production area, barrel warehouse, bottling line and tasting room."

The only reference I could find to Indiana was on a message board - http://www.bourbonenthusiast.com/forum/ ... =13&t=1498
"This product has been available for some time, and apparently is rye whiskey distilled at Lawrenceburg, Indiana (formerly a Seagram facility as many here know). The company has, apparently again, released this while its own-distilled stocks are aging." from 2008.

This may have been the case at the beginning which wouldn't surprise me. They just didn't have the capitol to run a legal distillery right off the bat and out sourced it. Then did the aging and bottling in Templeton. Much in the same way a lot of micro brewers where in fact brewed and bottled at Dubuque Star. I don't think the town had the work force either. Since then they have built a 12,000 sq foot distillery. http://www.templetonrye.com/blog/notes- ... n-process/

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:49 am

Nick wrote: Joseph is right. Though the recipe being used is the original recipe from the bootlegging days and it does come from Templeton, basically nothing else about this whiskey makes it an Iowa whiskey. It's all marketing and they are doing a very good job at hyping this shit (around the Midwest anyway). Other than that, it's a pretty damn good whiskey though!
yes i am dont fuck with me about alcohol. music you all can spout your opinions but fucking alcohol? shiiiit.
dont you read the fucking paper? you just swallow a FUCKING MARKETING PROGRAM BY A FUCKING OUTSIDER THAT IS NOT FROM FUCKING IOWA TELLING ME WHAT IS IOWA?
FUCK THAT

"Templeton Rye is distilled and aged at Lawrenceburg Distillers, Lawrenceburg, Indiana and shipped to Iowa by tanker truck. It is then bottled at the Iowa facility. Lawrenceburg Distillers is a wholly owned subsidiary of CL Financial, an international corporation located in Trinidad and Tobago."- from one fucking google search learn how to use the internet noob

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:50 am

Beaver wrote:
joseph wrote:i like french beers.
Faggot.
bend over ill drive you to dallas

kurtis
Represent!

Post by kurtis » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:26 am

Darrin wrote:I wish Brizzi posted here more so we could have a beer nerd thread.
f brizzi and his fairy beers.

So I work with this dude that has a girl up in Wisconsin and he goes up/she comes down like two or three times a month. Been bringing me back lots of Spotted Cow

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:28 am

Darrin wrote:I'll look for that rye for sure. For the past year I've really just had a few standbys:

Old Crow (whatever, it's dirt cheap and just good enough that you can drink it neat)

I'll order a glass of nice liquor once in awhile at bars but really just keep cheap stuff at home to have on hand for days I don't have beer, or want to go to the store.
i got a buddy thats really into the buffalo trace. i liked it.

at home i usually have powers for my stocking whiskey. since i cant get dickel #8 in iowa anymore. i rarely get good stuff in a bar. it costs too damn much and i never know how long the bottles been opened and i dont really enjoy good whiskey in bars. i reserve that for being at home with my own records in my rocking chair. sounds like you use old crow and ancient like i use jim beam. also i really dislike jameson. ill drink it but its too sweet for me.

i really like vodka as well. i prefer it straight. room temperature is fine as well.

Darrin

Post by Darrin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:54 pm

kurtis wrote:
Darrin wrote:I wish Brizzi posted here more so we could have a beer nerd thread.
f brizzi and his fairy beers.

So I work with this dude that has a girl up in Wisconsin and he goes up/she comes down like two or three times a month. Been bringing me back lots of Spotted Cow
Haha Brizzi has a pretty amazing beer cellar. Traded me some of New Glarus' Unplugged series, really good stuff. Spotted Cow is ok, you should try to get a bottle of their Smoked Rye Ale if they still have it up there.

Darrin

Post by Darrin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:00 pm

joseph wrote:
Darrin wrote:I'll look for that rye for sure. For the past year I've really just had a few standbys:

at home i usually have powers for my stocking whiskey. since i cant get dickel #8 in iowa anymore. i rarely get good stuff in a bar. it costs too damn much and i never know how long the bottles been opened and i dont really enjoy good whiskey in bars. i reserve that for being at home with my own records in my rocking chair. sounds like you use old crow and ancient like i use jim beam. also i really dislike jameson. ill drink it but its too sweet for me.

i really like vodka as well. i prefer it straight. room temperature is fine as well.
Old Crow and Jim Beam are so similar that I can't justify ever paying the premium for Beam. I'm not a big Jameson fan either.

Also calling Templeton and Makers girl drinks and really liking vodka does not compute for me.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:14 pm

Darrin wrote:
Also calling Templeton and Makers girl drinks and really liking vodka does not compute for me.
sugar content. sweet tasting. hiding the alcohol taste.
i said i like vodka room temp. not with fucking red bull or juice. or fruit. if i want fruit i will eat fruit. show me a woman that drinks vodka straight and i will get a boner.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:16 pm

Darrin wrote:Old Crow and Jim Beam are so similar that I can't justify ever paying the premium for Beam. I'm not a big Jameson fan either.
they dont have old crow at bars i go to here. i dont buy beam for home. i try to avoid ten high. beam is the next step here.

kurtis
Represent!

Post by kurtis » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:22 pm

joseph wrote:
Darrin wrote:
i said i like vodka room temp. not with fucking red bull or juice. or fruit. if i want fruit i will eat fruit. show me a woman that drinks vodka straight and i will get a boner.

my wife would give you a boner than!

seriously I hate vodka and its like the only thing she will drink.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:27 pm

kurtis wrote:
joseph wrote:
Darrin wrote:

my wife would give you a boner than!

seriously I hate vodka and its like the only thing she will drink.
WIVES ARE OFF LIMITS. what do you take me for a scooter person?

Darrin

Post by Darrin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:33 pm

joseph wrote:show me a woman that drinks vodka straight and i will get a boner.
If more girls are doings shots of Makers than vodka at shitty college parties, I will eat my hat.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:34 pm

i have never seen a female do a shot of vodka by choice.
im too old or sober at the moment for college parties

buck rotten

Post by buck rotten » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:22 pm

Hawkeye is made in Saint Louis. Is nothing sacred?
It's hard to pray with broken hands

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:23 pm

buck rotten wrote:Hawkeye is made in Saint Louis. Is nothing sacred?
bwahhhaaa. thank you.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:20 pm

Darrin wrote:
joseph wrote:

Old Crow and Jim Beam are so similar that I can't justify ever paying the premium for Beam. I'm not a big Jameson fan either.

The thing with Jim Beam is it isn't a premium, In fact it's mid level at best.

I'm with you on the Jameson. As I get older I find that Bushmills is a great deal more drinkable with a much better finish. Plus those Jameson ads are as stupid as the Guinness ads.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:30 pm

i enjoy bushmills quite a lot. i have no idea what lannys problem is with it though.
guinness ill drink because it tastes like water and milk mixed together(to me) but i dont really want more than one every six months or so. id much rather have a sam smith or murphys or something else. im not that much of a beer person and isnt guinness like 4%? and budweiser closer to 4.5%? i like booze in my booze.

Darrin

Post by Darrin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:30 pm

DaVo wrote:The thing with Jim Beam is it isn't a premium, In fact it's mid level at best.
Who are you arguing with? I was saying it costs more and isn't worth it to me.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:37 pm

Darrin wrote:
DaVo wrote:The thing with Jim Beam is it isn't a premium, In fact it's mid level at best.
Who are you arguing with? I was saying it costs more and isn't worth it to me.
Nope I was pointing out how silly the idea is that Jim Bean is considered a premium whiskey when in fact is usually only about 10% more than a well whiskey. I always felt that Templeton was trying to get into the market as the premium rye because it has always been considered the low end of whiskey.

KY Jelly Belly

Post by KY Jelly Belly » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:43 pm

8)
Attachments
FourLoko-Girls.jpg
FourLoko-Girls.jpg (66.98 KiB) Viewed 2613 times

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:47 pm

KY Jelly Belly wrote:8)