More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Can anyone fix a laptop (I'll pay you)?

Post by Joey Chaos » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:35 pm

Someone tripped over the cord to my step daughters Toshiba Satellite laptop. Now the jack on the comp is loose and it doesn't charge. I called a place in Marshalltown and was told it would cost me $200 (that's half the price of the computer new). If anyone here can do it, I'll buy the jack and pay you whats fair. Let me know.

Shane

Re: Can anyone fix a laptop (I'll pay you)?

Post by Shane » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:15 pm

I'm assuming it's just an issue with the solder joints, but I really have no idea. Also, repairing laptops is hard because everything is jammed in there so tightly. I suppose I could take a look at it if no one else more qualified is willing.
Joey Chaos wrote:Shane's gonna find out the hard way.

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:27 am

It appears that there's a sleeve missing on the outside of the jack. I know nothing of laptops, but I do know a bit about electronics. Is there a ground sleeve that could've been knocked out?

moltar

Post by moltar » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:07 pm

Same boat as Shane here. The most you should need is the ability to solder tight and maybe a replacement jack. Jacks can just become loose or disconnected from use, just like on a guitar. My dell jack causes shorts sometimes when it's being plugged in.

Are there external stand alone chargers you can buy?

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:22 pm

The two shops I called both said you have to take almost every component out of the laptop to replace the jack, not true?

Shane

Post by Shane » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:49 pm

It actually wouldn't surprise me to be honest. Laptop boards are constructed in such a way to utilize every available space in order to make it compact enough to fit in the enclosure, so it's entirely possible that this component is inaccessible. It's impossible to make any assertions without actually seeing it, but I wouldn't recommend taking the computer apart to take pictures to post here.
Joey Chaos wrote:Shane's gonna find out the hard way.

noel_nothing

Post by noel_nothing » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:48 am

a little story that might help out.

a friend of mine bought a guitar amp from a pwan shop & when we got it home it tipped over. the removable ac cord had been pushed into its input & they would not connect. we opened the top of the amp & got the inlet back in place but the cord wouldn't stay in. we fixed it by wrapping the end of the cord that went in with electrical tape a few times & then put it in. it worked fine after that.