More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

jjjsXe

Attn Masked Mac Information Technician

Post by jjjsXe » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:25 am

Sorry to use your real name.

So you are known around these parts to be a Mac information center. Are there any free programs that you are aware of that you can use to transfer information such as music and photos from your ipod to a Mac? I have seen many that you have to pay for...but paying for shit sucks when you spend a thousand dollars on a computer. I don't see why this kind of technology isn't just something that is provided with the itunes/ipod/Mac software. Thanks.
Last edited by jjjsXe on Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

robdigi

Re: Attn Robert Gray

Post by robdigi » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:55 am

That functionality isn't included with iTunes because of record industry politics. It's not as relevant now than it used to be, now that Apple is one of the world's largest music retailers, but when the iPod first came out (and there was no such thing as an iTunes music store) Apple had to prove to the record industry that they weren't releasing a device designed to pirate music. If you could use iTunes to pull music from an iPod Apple would have been explicitly facilitating music piracy (on the scale of entire record collections, rather than individual albums), in the record industry's eyes.

Anyway, most people I talk to use Senuti. I've never had the need to pull anything from an iPod, so I haven't used it myself... but it has a 30 day free trial.

Can you edit this post to remove my full name? Thanks..
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

robdigi

Re: Attn Robert Gray

Post by robdigi » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:21 pm

Jordan or a mod-

Please delete my last name from this thread. I can't have my full name attached to any google-searchable comments referring to the fruit company.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

Thom

Re: Attn Masked Mac Information Technician

Post by Thom » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:50 pm

senuti is alright. I use it very very occasionally. it gets the job done, and it isn't terrible.

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:40 pm

For photos if you click 'import full resolution photos' it should work. It's something like that when your iPod is plugged in.
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

inflaymes

Post by inflaymes » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:11 pm

Senuti works well and can be dl'ed free and can find a serial # for it if you want to.
This works too.
http://www.cnet.com/1990-7899_1-6488385-1.html

Gotta love the terminal utility!

Thom

Post by Thom » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:07 pm

WHOA