More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Nick

Juicy Lucy

Post by Nick » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:27 am

There was a guy at work the other day that said there is a restaurant in Des Moines that makes Juicy Lucy (burgers). I can't fucking remember what the place was called, but I want to try it. Anyone know?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jucy_Lucy

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Re: Juicy Lucy

Post by Big Fat Retard » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:42 pm

The Jucy Lucy was apparently invented at Matt's Bar in South Minneapolis, Minnesota, though this is disputed. The 5-8 Club, a short distance south of Matt's, also claims to have invented the sandwich; this establishment uses the "Juicy Lucy" spelling.[1] Concerning the spelling, Matt's Bar boasts on posters that "if it's spelled correctly, you're at the wrong place", while shirts worn by employees at the 5-8 Club bear the legend "if it's spelled right, it's done right."

Jucy Lucys are fuckin' awesome!That brought back some memories When I used to live in South Minneapolis, I went to Matt's all the time for Jucy Lucys. They go great with a cold bottle of High Life.

I sometimes make my own Jucy Lucys with weed in the cheese.
I poop on Petland!

Nick

Post by Nick » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:38 pm

Big Fat Retard wrote:Jucy Lucys are fuckin' awesome!That brought back some memories When I used to live in South Minneapolis, I went to Matt's all the time for Jucy Lucys. They go great with a cold bottle of High Life.

I sometimes make my own Jucy Lucys with weed in the cheese.
I agree. Juicy Lucy's do rule and I actually was up in the Twin Cities last weekend and went a mini-Jucy Lucy tour (which is why I am now craving another and wondered if there was any place in Des Moines to get one, other than making one at home?)

Anyway, here are my photos of the tour and my ranking:

Friday evening: Matt's Bar (unfortunately we forgot the camera at the hotel and didn't get pictures of this epic lucy, but I did get some photos off their website). :(

Matt's is regarded by many locals to be the best place in the Twin Cities to get a Jucy Lucy. They are not the "originator" of the burger, but most will tell you they have perfected it. They have many "Best of" Awards that tell the same story.

This place is tiny. I mean like a total of 10 booths and that's it. We went on Friday evening about 7p..m. and didn't get seated until a little before 9p.m., that's how popular this place is. Good thing the place is also a bar (though more known for their burgers), so at least I could get a beer while we waited (Grain Belt of course). Here is a picture of the outside.

The menu here is pretty much burgers and if you order anything but a Jucy, you get looked at funny.

There are cool, vintage adversitments all over the place describing the awesome Jucy the place has.

And like I said, they also have awards on the walls, so you know they are good.

This was my first burger of the weekend, so I was really, really stoked to finally try it and see if the claim was as good as everyone said. This burger was big, greasy and full of awesome, melty American cheese. The burger meat itself was excellent. Perfectly done and fucking moist as shit, with a nice "crispy" coating on the outside. The cheese was a little more "runny" than the others I tried this weekend and it sort of melded together with the meat. It was a lot different than the other two, but I think that was what sets it apart from the pack. The fries here was pretty boss as well. Overall, I give this burger a 9/10.

Saturday Night: The Nook

Not as talked about as Matt's or The 5-8 Club (Sunday's visit), but this place was super popular as well. We went here Saturday. Another "bar" that is more a restaurant than anything else. Also, like Matt's it is very small with very limited seating. We got there around 6p.m. and got seated around 6:45p.m., so the wait wasn't as bad.

The menu here is a lot more diverse, but of course I ordered their Jucy Lucy. They also have a TON of other burgers on their menu (most of which are very unique and sounded awesome). I ordered my Jucy here with grilled onions (which was a great choice). When it arrived, I almost jizzed my pants.

There was so much goddamn cheese dripping off the burger. It was awesome. The grilled onions were perfect and I added the side of pickles on top the burger. I then took my first bite. Instantly a huge stream of oozing, hot cheese shot out of the middle of the burger. There was so much cheese, it actually shot up my arm, across the table, on to the seat next to my buddy and down on the the floor. I laughed my ass off and continued.

The cheese here was different than the rest of the places. It was more like velveeta or something, but that was definitely a good thing. It was just fucking amazing. The burger was also a perfect medium and the meat had good flavor.

I should have ordered another one, because this was one of the best burgers I have ever had in my life.

Overall, I give this burger a 10/10. Nothing wrong with it at all. Perfectly grilled bun, tons of cheese, grilled onions, pickles. and a great meat. Just epic. The fries were "fresh cut" and excellent as well. Crispy on the outside and nice and soft on the inside.

Sunday afternoon: The 5-8 Club

This was our final stop on the Jucy Lucy tour. We went here for lunch before heading home on Sunday. They opened at 11a.m. and we got there shortly after. No wait, as we were some of the first people there. This place is an actual restaurant they claim to be the originator of the Jucy Lucy. So this is where it all began....over 80 years ago.

Again, a more diverse menu here. They had a few different burger choices here as well, but not nearly as many as The Nook. I of course opted for the Jucy Lucy. Since I enjoyed the grilled onions so much on my burger the night before, I ordered them again on this burger. The onions here were more stringy and a little "over done" and mushy. Still added a nice bit of extra to the burger though. Again, added the pickles that came on the side.

This burger had a nice amount of cheese in it. I liked the consistency of the cheese in this one the best, but he flavor was a little more "bland." Don't get me wrong, it was still great, but not as "cheesy" as the others.

Where this burger shined was in the quality of the meat itself. Fucking excellent. They must have really well seasoned grills too, as this had an awesome "crispy" coating on the outside. The meat so really tender and moist (and not just form the cheese inside).

Overall, I rank this burger a 9/10. The cheese was a little lacking in this one, so that what was holding it back. Also, this place had the worst fries of the 3 places (which is hard to do, as they all had really, really good fries).

After eating at these 3 places and trying all 3 places Jucy Lucy's, my final personal award for best Jucy Lucy goes to The Nook. If there was ever a perfect burger in the world, this is it. God bless this fine city. God bless cheeseburgers. God Bless the Jucy Lucy!!!

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:03 pm

God Bless this thread!

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:58 pm

This inspired me to get a giant three-cheese burger for lunch today. Thank you.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:47 am

Hank Fist wrote:God Bless this thread!
Amen! I really like the photos. I lived two blocks from Matt's, so I went there alot. A Jucy Lucy makes a great hangover breakfast.
I'm going up to Minneapolis in August so I'll have to check out 5-8 and the other place.
I poop on Petland!

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:22 pm

Big Fat Retard wrote:I'm going up to Minneapolis in August so I'll have to check out 5-8 and the other place.
Do NOT miss The Nook. It is near the corner of Randolph and Hamline in St. Paul.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:55 pm

I'm going to the Minnesota State Fair so I won't be too far from The Nook. I'll try to check it out before I go to the Fair. Probably save me alot of money going to the fair on a full stomach.

So have you ever found out the name of the place that makes them here?
I poop on Petland!

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:14 pm

I'm bored at work so I was checking out reviews of these places and found this: http://www.chow.com/places/98

The Jucy Lucy at this place has too much cheese, IMHO . However, the regular burgers are great. However again, I got their wings, supposedly Monster wings, and have never gotten a smaller portion or size anywhere. I was totally pissed, I won’t stop going there, but I would not be likely to try anything else on the menu again, and will just get water from now on just to get

How in the hell can you have "too much cheese"? This guy is a fuckin' retard.
I poop on Petland!

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:19 pm

you are what you eat, faggots.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:37 pm

inx515xhell wrote:you are what you eat, faggots.
then I should change my name to Big Fat Pussy.
I poop on Petland!

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:37 pm

Big Fat Retard wrote:So have you ever found out the name of the place that makes them here?
No. I haven't. I'm gonna ask around at work tomorrow. I think someone there is who told me there was a Jucy Lucy joint in Des Moines.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:37 pm

I'm gonna go to B & B Market sometime and ask them to make me one with pepper jack cheese. If anyone in Des Moines could make a good Jucy Lucy, it's B & B.
I poop on Petland!

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:51 am

I poop on Petland!

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:55 am

stasius is ne minneapolis has a great one. they spell it different like juicy lucey or something.
the nook is meh. its ok i prefer whiteys by the terminal for a cheeseburger. no loosey but wonderful. bandbox is great as well.

KY Jelly Belly

Post by KY Jelly Belly » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:35 pm

This thread makes me Hungry!!!
I'm gonna try to make these tonight on the grill, thanx!

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:01 pm

this thread makes me wonder just how many pictures of nick eating hamburgers the internet can hold
Tu vir nunc es, canis

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:57 pm

servo wrote:this thread makes me wonder just how many pictures of nick eating hamburgers the internet can hold
Dude, there are more. I am on a never ending search for the best cheeseburger in the world and along the way, I like to photograph my quest.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:03 am

Have you ever been to Nation's Big Burger in California?
I poop on Petland!

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:10 am

Big Fat Retard wrote:Have you ever been to Nation's Big Burger in California?
I have not. I have heard a buddy of mine that lived in the San Francisco area for a few years go on and on about that place though. I hope to try it one day.

weirdtaylor

Post by weirdtaylor » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:59 am

go to chefs kitchen and get their stuffed burger, you wont be dissapointed.
If I eat meat, and count sheep to sleep, will the sheep come to eat when I sleep?

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:06 pm

weirdtaylor wrote:go to chefs kitchen and get their stuffed burger, you wont be dissapointed.
Will do. I have eaten there a handful of times and have liked everything I've had so far. They have one of the best Muffalettas I have ever had. I am sure a burger from there would be great. Thanks for the suggestion.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:46 pm

tried to make my own last night on the grill. I looks better than it was. too much cheese escaped so it didn't squirt hot cheese all over like it should on the fitst bite. I need to close the ends tighyter to keep the cheese in. I may attempt another one tonight.

I poop on Petland!

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:49 pm

ive had better luck with a cube of cheese than slices. but the key is to seal the outside. so use your meatball skills

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:00 pm

Big Fat Retard wrote:tried to make my own last night on the grill. I looks better than it was. too much cheese escaped so it didn't squirt hot cheese all over like it should on the fitst bite. I need to close the ends tighyter to keep the cheese in. I may attempt another one tonight.

Looks good, dude! I have heard from others that the key to making them at home is actually using a flat-top/skillet to cook them rather than a grill?

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:06 pm

Nick wrote:Looks good, dude! I have heard from others that the key to making them at home is actually using a flat-top/skillet to cook them rather than a grill?
if your burger falls apart or opens on the grill then you need lessons on making a patty. cast iron is always a plus. for the looseys ive always had better luck with proper heat regulation but the cheese shouldnt ooze until bitten into. unless youre lazy and then you might as well just put it on top

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:12 pm

I could see cast iron working great, as you can get it really hot and get a nice crispy coating on the burger to seal in the cheese. I've gotta try this sometime soon.