More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Stock up on the Grape Blunts

Post by Big Fat Retard » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:33 pm

Nobama just made flavored blunts illegal. I'm not into blunts myself, but if someone has one, I'll smoke it. I like weed to taste like weed.

Obama Signs Tough New Anti-Smoking Law
FDA gets the authority to regulate tobacco manufacturing and marketing

MONDAY, June 22 (HealthDay News) -- President Barack Obama signed into law Monday the nation's toughest anti-smoking law that gives the U.S. Food and Drug Administration unprecedented powers to regulate tobacco products.

Under the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, the FDA will be able to ban labels on cigarettes such as "low tar" and "light," outlaw candy and fruit flavorings, and order companies to reduce nicotine in tobacco products. The law also requires large graphic warnings on cartons of cigarettes, the Associated Press reported.

The FDA can now regulate what goes into tobacco products, make those ingredients public, and prohibit marketing campaigns, particularly those that target children.

"The decades-long effort to protect our children from the harmful effects of smoking has finally emerged victorious," Obama said during the signing ceremony at the White House.

Obama has often talked about his own struggles to quit smoking, and did so again Monday, while criticizing the tobacco industry for marketing its products to children and young adults, the AP reported.

"I know -- I was one of these teenagers," he said. "I know how difficult it is to break this habit."

After the House of Representative approved the bill earlier this month, FDA Commissioner Margaret A. Hamburg said the agency "welcomes the authority given to us by Congress to regulate tobacco products."

In a prepared statement, she added, "Because smoking and chewing tobacco cause serious public health problems, we view our new responsibilities as a logical extension of our public health mission to protect and to advance the health of Americans."

Numerous health agencies joined the chorus of approval after the Senate vote earlier this month; the law has been a decade in the making.

The legislation "will finally put an end to Big Tobacco's despicable marketing practices that are designed to addict children to its deadly products," said John R. Seffrin, chief executive officer of the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network.

"Senate passage of the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act has the potential to reduce the scourge of tobacco products, which kill more than 400,000 Americans every year," he added.

Speaking for the American Heart Association, CEO Nancy Brown said, "The U.S. Senate has taken a bold and courageous step to ensure a healthier future for our children.…The legislation will allow us to protect them from a dirty business that has infiltrated school grounds and homes for many generations."

"Too many graveyards are marked by the consequences of the industry's actions," she added. "With each puff of a cigarette, smokers increase their risk for heart disease, stroke and other cardiovascular diseases, and Big Tobacco's irresponsible marketing campaigns have made it increasingly difficult to break the cycle of addiction and save lives."
I poop on Petland!

Beaver

Re: Stock up on the Grape Blunts

Post by Beaver » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:59 pm

I don't smoke blunts very much, but I have friends who do. I love the grapes! THis is bullshyte! So does this also apply to tobacco related items ala' everything behind the counter at Daydreams? If so, I call bullshyte. Really though, it doesnt effect me because I smoke good shyte and do not need to waste it in doob form.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:33 pm

Beaver wrote:Really though, it doesnt effect me because I smoke good shyte and do not need to waste it in doob form.
x1000

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:44 pm

grape blunts are pretty gross. that particular flavor is overbearing, smells like it's toxic, and sticks to your fingers.

mango, peach, watermelon, sour apple. much more subtle and tasty.

I pretty much only smoke blunts unless I am in public and need to keep it concealed. I too smoke good shyte exclusively, I just like to smoke a lot at once. Can you even get crappy weed in Colorado? I haven't found it yet. I definitely could have benefited from it during my more impoverished days.

anyway, sucks if it's true. the law doesn't outlaw anything pertaining to flavor specifically, just empowers the FDA to do it. this law will probably be applied on a case-by-case basis... mainly towards cigarettes. I doubt cigars are on the radar, really. a finer detail is that the whole point of cigar smoking is enjoying unique flavors- not that phillies and swishers count as real cigars or anything, let's be real, but this seems like more of a grey area.

I support the law anyway. There are more important things than enjoying silly flavors when taking part in an act that's illegal to begin with.

now, seriously folks- the real question is how is Obama going to get reelected if he alienates his most loyal voting bloc?
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

Rooster

Post by Rooster » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:11 am

you just cant roll good blunts or dont use good blunt wraps
As time moves
There's no sound

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:27 am

So wait....there are no longer going to be Light cigarettes? There is a clear difference between the "strength" of a full flavor vs. light cigarette, so why can't they differentiate between the two? Are all cigarettes just going to be called by whatever brand they are now? Like, "Give me a pack of Marlboros" or some shit? WTF? This is more mind-boggling to me than getting rid of fruit or candy flavored tobacco.
Under the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, the FDA will be able to ban labels on cigarettes such as "low tar" and "light," outlaw candy and fruit flavorings, and order companies to reduce nicotine in tobacco products.

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:58 pm

uh, no. they will just have to change the name. I'm thinking along the lines of "I'd like a pack of Marlboro for Pussies please"
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:46 pm

"1984" and "Atlas Shrugged" are starting to seem more and more prophetic everyday.
I poop on Petland!

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:01 pm

make your own, they will taste better...you know, like the classic "honey blunt".

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:24 pm

robdigi wrote: now, seriously folks- the real question is how is Obama going to get reelected if he alienates his most loyal voting bloc?

That's kind of what I was thinking. I'm no expert on the subject, but I would imagine that grape blunts are used in disproportionately high numbers among his most loyal voting bloc.

What an Uncle Tom.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:40 pm

Interesting. I quit about 3 weeks ago but this wouldn't have effected me at all. The uses of Light, Ultra Light, etc... have been mislead and are all throw backs to the dots being connected between smoking and cancer. It's always been a marketing plan to make some cigarettes seem more healthy than others with the uses of filters that do nothing beyond cooling the smoke and putting holes in the sides of the filters. It's interesting that they found smokers tended to smoke more or covered the holes with their fingers.

The biggest question is, if they start reducing the nicotine and other stimulates in cigarettes will see an increase in cigarette sales with smokers smoking more to get their fix? I guess that's more tax money and stimulation of the economy. So win win, all except of the whole poor tax thing.

Is this going to effect menthol and the nastiest of all smelling tobacco, clove cigarettes?

I really doubt this is going to do anything to reduce the number of people that start smoking or keep smoking. The fact is there is always going to be a section of the public that smokes.

One big advantages will be, I won't be stuck behind another of those assholes at QT that can't decide what flavor they want or buys one cigar with pennies and nickels cause they are stoned out of their tiny little minds and spent all their money on weed.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:48 am

no way, you quit? how's that going? Hacking up a lot of shit? I know i did.

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:19 am

Oh, well. There's always embalming fluid.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:57 am

Hank Fist wrote:no way, you quit? how's that going? Hacking up a lot of shit? I know i did.
Yeah I decided that I've had enough. Not really that bad been on the nicotine lozenges. You know I really haven't hacked up much of anything after the first week but I never really had that even when I was smoking 2 1/2 pack a day.

My breathing is better and now have to remind myself to take breaks. The biggest thing for me is avoiding situations and not buying a pack. Once I do that it's all over.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:19 am

i got friends who always do the "this is my last pack thing". annoying.
davo, i know you work indoors, so this might not be conducive, but when i quit 6 years ago i started chewing sunflower seeds constantly. really helped with the oral fixation thing. also, my old roommates used flavored toothpicks and said that worked really well.
either way, good luck.

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:10 pm

The hardest for me is wanting to smoke while I drinkerin'. Hardest thing EVER! I usually end up bumming 1 or 2 on a night out.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:30 pm

good call man. i loved smoking when drunk and right after getting high. i totally forgot about that.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:36 am

Beaver wrote:The hardest for me is wanting to smoke while I drinkerin'. Hardest thing EVER! I usually end up bumming 1 or 2 on a night out.
Yeah haven't been going out drinking for this reason. I've had about 2 and they were both when I was drinking.

I've used the patch, gum and I have to say the Lozenges last longer and really help with the whole oral thing. One of the biggest thing with cravings at work is that I have to get up and get out of my station and walk around. That and as silly as it sounds doing deep breath exercises.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:33 pm

DaVo wrote:
Beaver wrote:The hardest for me is wanting to smoke while I drinkerin'. Hardest thing EVER! I usually end up bumming 1 or 2 on a night out.
Yeah haven't been going out drinking for this reason. I've had about 2 and they were both when I was drinking.

I've used the patch, gum and I have to say the Lozenges last longer and really help with the whole oral thing. One of the biggest thing with cravings at work is that I have to get up and get out of my station and walk around. That and as silly as it sounds doing deep breath exercises.
you should do Tai Chi. We also do Chi Chung breathing exercises. After i started doing this for a couple of months, a cigarette was like poison to my system and i'd get really sick.
my instructor does classes over the noon hour at the Des Moines Social Club.