More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Nick

Hey Davo

Post by Nick » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:29 am

Did you end up getting the Pre' last weekend? Has it been living up to all the hype? From what I hear, it has and that the multi-tasking/cards feature is the shiz.

robdigi

Re: Hey Davo

Post by robdigi » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:20 pm

I played with one yesterday.

It's a good try, but doesn't live up to the iPhone. Feels cheap, OS is too gimmicky. OS X for iPhone is kind of gimmicky, but the gimmicks are aimed at usefulness rather than flashiness. Plus, keyboards are for n00bs.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

crow

Post by crow » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:30 pm

i have a 3g iphone and i just hate the no multitasking. i have it jailbroke with backgrounder but that always fucks up and exits my backgrounded program (slacker or IM clients). at&t also seems to be making a big mistake with thier 3gs upgrade policy. right now they are making it cheaper for me to drop my contract with them and get a pre than it would be to get the 16gb 3gs. so much for the precedent they set last summer.
"boobiez and buttz"
- u-god of the wu tang clan

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:49 pm

You don't need to run IM clients in the background with push notifications. That service isn't live yet, but I've tested it with AIM and it works really well.

I'm in the same boat with upgrade pricing, but what do you expect... they paid $300+ dollars towards your current phone and haven't made that money back yet. Just insist to get your 3G swapped out under warranty at an Apple store, sell the new shiny one on ebay or criagslist for way more than you originally paid for it, then buy the 3Gs. As long as you have a cheapo phone to get you by in the meantime, it's a good plan.

You didn't hear that from me.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

crow

Post by crow » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:10 pm

push doesn't help with running streaming music in the background though. like slacker, pandora, etc. my new job is super bandwidth conscious so i need the phone to be able to do more and right now it can't.
"boobiez and buttz"
- u-god of the wu tang clan

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:00 pm

Yup had it for a week now and other than a few minor things I don't like it's great. For the first time ever I don't have to sign into 5 or 6 web sites to get contact info and e-mail. The only thing is missing is Skype and yahoo support and I'm sure they will be coming along soon. Oh and the touchstone wireless charger is really convenient.

Multi-taskiing works like a charm though it can eat the battery. Had the music app, calendar, gps navigation, google maps, contacts, messaging and the browser open at one time. It was so nice to jump back and forth while planning this trip to Chicago in a little over a week. Just jump back and forth and then flick them off when you don't need them. There was a little bit of a lag but about the same as you would have on a computer if you had that many windows open.

Love the way the notification just pop up in the bottom instead of jumping to the middle of the screen and making you address them before getting back to what you are doing. The calendar sync with gmail and facebook works great.

Over all media playback quality has been really good. In fact the Youtube app videos play better on pre then on my laptop over the same connection.

I've been hearing about the phone feeling cheap since the first hands on reviews. The fact is that the phone is lighter and smaller then the iPhone which is limited in shape and style by the glass and the metal frame. I've always hated the fact that the iphone is a brick like candy bar phone. I want something compact that doesn't take up a bunch of space. Playing with one at the store doesn't give the same feel as working with it in your hand it fits well. The keyboard is small but I have average size hands and can type a lot faster then I have ever had on a touch keyboard. Granted it not as easy as a sidekick style but you can in fact type without looking and it doesn't take up half the screen while your doing it.

There has been a lot of comparison to the iPhone but it isn't the same phone. The iPhone is a play thing in the vain of an iPod touch or a DS. The Pre is more like a work tool. It fits nicely between the iPhone and the Blackberry. I can stay a great deal more connected on a business and social level then I could ever do on iPhone but it doesn't wear a suit like a Blackberry or a Windows Mobile. . Though I could see some of the functions of both coming along as the Pre evolves. The Pre is a better all around phone that could be used for serious businesses but is still an entertainment and social platform.

It's funny but at this point the only thing that iPhone has that the Pre doesn't is shitty Apps, forced ties to iTunes, Video, auto focus camera, a compass(nothing like 2nd century technology, very cutting edge) and those AT&T restrictions like still no MMS or 3g boardband in some areas. Oh and don't forget that iPhone users get to pay on average $50 or more than Sprint customers using the Pre. While the Pre is smaller, lighter, can truly multi-task, and has a keyboard and a camera flash.

Oh and I had to laugh when I heard about there being no price break for current AT&T customers upgrading to 3Gs but I did even harder when they did given in on upgrade discounts they are still $100 more than new customers. Let's face their plans suck and the only thing that has kept them going is the iPhone. The Pre will be released to other carriers after the first of the year and I think we are going to see some pricing wars from carriers next year. Which is good for us, too bad we will never see that happen with the iPhone but it is in the tradition of Apple, one button, one way to do something, one program choice and only one shitty carrier. I remember the first Mac ads in the 80s that were based on 1984, funny but it seems that all along Apple is about not giving you a choice.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:06 pm

crow wrote:i have a 3g iphone and i just hate the no multitasking. i have it jailbroke with backgrounder but that always fucks up and exits my backgrounded program (slacker or IM clients). at&t also seems to be making a big mistake with thier 3gs upgrade policy. right now they are making it cheaper for me to drop my contract with them and get a pre than it would be to get the 16gb 3gs. so much for the precedent they set last summer.
You know that Palm has been more open to hackers then any company that I've come across. The forced upgrades is a little scary but they seem very supportive of people finding out what they can do with the phone. Check out http://predev.wikidot.com/. Palm even stated do what you want but don't post a teether hacks cause then Sprint will makes take action. Otherwise have phone. Can you imagine Apple doing that?

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:11 pm

DAVO YOUR KID HAS A SUBHUMANS SHIRT ON
CONFIRM/DENY

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:14 pm

inx515xhell wrote:DAVO YOUR KID HAS A SUBHUMANS SHIRT ON
CONFIRM/DENY
Hold on let me pull up another photo from the day.

That would be a yes. In fact it's one of his favorite shirts, that and the US Bombs or TSOL one.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:17 pm

that is awesome.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:21 pm

inx515xhell wrote:that is awesome.
Well, he is awesome, I just bought the t-shirt