More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

DaVo

Did I just miss this but did ZZZ moved?

Post by DaVo » Tue May 19, 2009 4:37 pm

I was driving down Ingersol Sunday Night and saw this ZZZ records sign. Did they move or open a new location? If so I think it's the same building that Vinyl Fetish moved to before it closed.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Re: Did I just miss this but did ZZZ moved?

Post by Joe » Tue May 19, 2009 4:42 pm

They moved months ago.
Still no good records.

-Joe.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue May 19, 2009 5:23 pm

yes they moved months ago. next to audio labs.

joe- im glad you say no good records. more for me.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Tue May 19, 2009 5:49 pm

Joe wrote:They moved months ago.
Still no good records.

-Joe.
Well, I might in fact go in more often but then if their stock still sucks, maybe not. Funny how I never heard a thing about it.

See one of the best record stores Des Moines ever had was called Vinyl Fetish. They were located next to Taste of Thailand on the east side. They decided to move to Ingersol and then shortly folded. Music Circuit also moved from 24th and University(where the guitar store is now) to Ingersol and then shortly folded. I hope as one of what 3 indy record stores they break the curse of Ingersol even if I rarely find anything there.

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Tue May 19, 2009 5:57 pm

I'm surprised ZZZ is still open. Not that I want them to close, but Des Moines seems to love running record stores out of business.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue May 19, 2009 5:59 pm

i dont get it. everytime i go there i could easily spend a hundred bucks. sure theres not much in the new release stuff that i actually like but there isnt really that much being released that ill buy without hearing it first.

i dont see anything wrong with zzz and i think the internet makes everybody a bbay.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Tue May 19, 2009 6:28 pm

I'm just not interested in anything ZZZ has to offer. Record Collector has everything I want when it comes to punk and metal, and Sweet Living has all the 50s doowop and 60s folk and rock and roll I could ever want. There's absolutely no reason at all for me to go to ZZZ since I'm done buying shit that MIGHT be good on first look... I just get shit now that I know is going to be good, and, well, I can't find that much shit at ZZZ that I know is going to be good.

-Joe.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue May 19, 2009 6:33 pm

joseph wrote:i dont get it. everytime i go there i could easily spend a hundred bucks..
This tells me you have questionable tastes.

I would like to patronize ZZZ more, but the last few times I went there I ended up buying something uninteresting just because I felt bad going in there and not buying anything. I've picked up a lot of things from there when it first opened, but not so much anymore.

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Tue May 19, 2009 6:38 pm

It was about a thousand years and twenty-five locations ago when I last went, but have ZZZ cleaned up their used vinyl organization? Like, organized by genre and not just alphabetically? And by genre, I don't mean just Rock, R&B, Country. A good record store will break it down to Metal, Indie, Punk, Folk, Funk, Soul, Hip Hop, House, etc...

It seemed like they had to have some great stuff hidden there, but I don't feel like dedicating a whole day to flipping through every last record when I'm shopping..

Also, they had only a tiny selection of new vinyl. Maybe it's better now, this was like seven years ago...
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue May 19, 2009 6:44 pm

robdigi wrote:It was about a thousand years and twenty-five locations ago when I last went, but have ZZZ cleaned up their used vinyl organization? Like, organized by genre and not just alphabetically? And by genre, I don't mean just Rock, R&B, Country. A good record store will break it down to Metal, Indie, Punk, Folk, Funk, Soul, Hip Hop, House, etc...

It seemed like they had to have some great stuff hidden there, but I don't feel like dedicating a whole day to flipping through every last record when I'm shopping..

Also, they had only a tiny selection of new vinyl. Maybe it's better now, this was like seven years ago...
If I remember right, it's not broken down all that specifically by genre, but it works. The new vinyl selection is good sized, it just seems like it's all fagz with keyboards and indie rock.

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Tue May 19, 2009 8:48 pm

Last time they didn't have nearly -enough- of that, so maybe things are headed in the right direction.

I like it when I see very specific genre separation at a music store because it gives me confidence that the people working there are enthusiastic about music of all kinds, and keep up with things.

Does ZZZ have a big dance music section? It seems that's a great way for small operations like that to stay in business... wanna-be basement DJs buy more records than just about anyone, and I know Des Moines has a large supply of them. In other cities I see a lot of shops with a "store-within-a-store" set aside for dance and hip hop... I think they do that so the DJ kids don't drive away the other customers. hah.
Last edited by robdigi on Tue May 19, 2009 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Tue May 19, 2009 8:57 pm

El Rhino wrote:
robdigi wrote:It was about a thousand years and twenty-five locations ago when I last went, but have ZZZ cleaned up their used vinyl organization? Like, organized by genre and not just alphabetically? And by genre, I don't mean just Rock, R&B, Country. A good record store will break it down to Metal, Indie, Punk, Folk, Funk, Soul, Hip Hop, House, etc...

If I remember right, it's not broken down all that specifically by genre, but it works. The new vinyl selection is good sized, it just seems like it's all fagz with keyboards and indie rock.
I don't remember ever going to a used record store that didn't have everything all mixed in. The new stuff yes but half of the fun of the hunt was wading through countless shitty records to find that one jewel.

It's been a while since I've really been there. I think the last time, there was a new release and it was a rather bigger band. So, I got up early on a Tuesday and figured I'd support the local record store and go to ZZZ. Not only did they not have it or plan on stocking it, I didn't find anything and I mean anything but a few token CDs and records that I already had. So I ended up going to Best Buy and they had it. I remember asking myself questions like "Are their really this many Boys Vs Girls fans in Des Moines?" and "I can get this online or somewhere else for $5 less."

The thing I can't believe that they haven't figured out that to make as a record store in this day in age, you have to sell something you aren't going to find somewhere else. I mean otherwise they might as well, make more money by dump their stock and just sell I-Tune gift cards.

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Tue May 19, 2009 10:58 pm

you know you can take your criticisms of ZZZ and talk to them about it and maybe make it a place you would frequent, just sayin. i'm sure they're open for constructive criticism that would make their business improve.
Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Tue May 19, 2009 11:05 pm

Yeah, I've done that.

-Joe.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Tue May 19, 2009 11:12 pm

isn't nate phillips ordering shit for them as of recent?

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Tue May 19, 2009 11:17 pm

Wiggins said he just works there, he doesn't order anything...
...which means everything cool coming in will get snapped up before I get a chance to see it.

-Joe.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Tue May 19, 2009 11:18 pm

i think dustin told me last night, that he just started being able to have some say in the ordering...idk, i'll go in a week and find out...

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Tue May 19, 2009 11:18 pm

That'd be really fucking cool if he is actually ordering stuff for the shop now.

-Joe.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Tue May 19, 2009 11:19 pm

your telling me.

aeon grey

Post by aeon grey » Wed May 20, 2009 8:33 am

I talked to Nate (owner) a couple of weeks ago, and he said that he has actually been doing a lot better at the new location than he was in the east village. Lower overhead cost on rent and utilities, and it seems that a lot more of his clientele is in that area than the east village area.

The basement used to be filled with a lot of really good stuff, but the flood wiped everything out. New store is cool though, and the couple of times I have been in there I have found quite a bit of good stuff. If you stop in once a week and check the new arrivals you can usually find one or two good things.

And he used to hold a lot of dance music records and things like that, but they honestly never sold. Serato, and the overall lack of interest for dj's here to play anything but the same 15 songs did not make this worth it.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed May 20, 2009 11:11 am

I have questionable taste?! well, i do like jazz, country, folk, classic rock, rock, rockabilly, metal, punk, punkrock, heavy stuff, quiet stuff, slooow stuff, weird japanese music, fusion, hardcore and just about anything else. i do not buy or rarely buy rap( i own the diabolical biz markie and wu tang 36 chambers which was given to me and an afroman burnd cdr) i do not have any ska unless you count op ivy and citizen fish? i as a generality despise ska. i dont listen to pop punk it bores the shit outta me i had a phase when i was 16 that lasted about a month. crustcore bugs me for the same reason.

last time i was there i bought a woody guthrie folkways box set, zenigeva, 2 mahavishnu orchestra albums, billy cobham, joe walsh, sara vaughn and a waylon jennings cassette.

nate fetus works there and hes been going thru all the old stuff that was never put out and hes arranging(coordinating) the stuff thats out.

i see no reason not to at least go there monthly and flip thru everything. it takes less than an hour and i always find something im glad i found.

shit thats a long reply.