More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Re: So who was there?

Post by Joe » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:40 pm

And... you assume I only listen to metalcore.

-Joe.

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:46 pm

did they play richard hung himself?

i bet they did
Tu vir nunc es, canis

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:57 pm

joseph wrote:
DaVo wrote:
DaVo wrote:

It maybe the lack of demand for live music more than anything. There was a time when a local band could draw 100 to 200 at an all ages show and then do it again on a 21 & over show.
locals dont really draw that many people and i dont think they ever really did. i think then it was more of an event to go to a show where now theres so many shows going on at once that people just go meh alot. look at last weekend. bishops,gdp and torche all at same time? 10, 15 years ago never woulda happened. i blame the internet.

and Crudos were way better than any other band in this thread.
There were a few bands that could but you are completely right on shows being events. It's seems like there is tons of shows and very few events now.

I blame the internet for creating all these sub markets. It's great to the point that there is so much music that wouldn't have been available 10 years ago. Which is a good thing but with live music it has limited people's exposure to other styles of music. It used to be that most labels like punk, metal, ska, rockabillie, etc... were these huge umbrellas that covered a great deal of different styles. When words like "Hardcore" or "Skacore" or "Physcobillie" were used it was more to describe the band then to define their target audience. It used to be that you said you were Hardcore to separate your band from the new wave and Adam Ant bands and now it's to market your band. The internet has increased that.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:07 pm

Joe wrote:And... you assume I only listen to metalcore.

-Joe.
It's a majority of what you talk about on here. We are all music fans or we wouldn't be here. I don't think you are so one dimensional that you only listen to Metalcore but I have a feeling that your collection leans heavily that way.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:11 pm

servo wrote:did they play richard hung himself?

i bet they did
Yup and Johnny's Got a Problem, Weapons, Falling Out, Euthanasia and they covered DeVo's Uncontrollable Urge. It was the last show I remember gobbing and stage diving at.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:23 pm

You see, the thing is... I don't ever talk about or even listen to metalcore outside of Earth Crisis' Firestorm EP.

But, you know, keep putting words in my mouth if it helps you "establish" that I have bad taste in music.

-Joe.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:42 pm

Joe wrote:You see, the thing is... I don't ever talk about or even listen to metalcore outside of Earth Crisis' Firestorm EP.

But, you know, keep putting words in my mouth if it helps you "establish" that I have bad taste in music.

-Joe.
No we have been on the opposing sides of the Hardcore is Metal argument more then a few times. Not trying to put words in your mouth. Bringing up in the first place was the lazy way of responding your comment. If I wanted to really establish your bad taste in music, it would be the fact that you dismiss anything that isn't brand spanking new. The idea that it had to come out last week to be good is as stupid as thinking that only music from 20 years ago is of value. Or to think that a band from 20 years ago that puts out a new record is some how less important.

So then you are saying liking Earth Crisis and metalcore establishes that you have bad taste in music?

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:50 pm

DaVo wrote: No we have been on the opposing sides of the Hardcore is Metal argument more then a few times. Not trying to put words in your mouth.
What arguement is that, remind me, because I don't know what you're talking about. If you're saying that metal can have no hardcore elements and be influenced by and take on hardcore idealogies (and vice versa)... you're clearly wrong.
Bringing up in the first place was the lazy way of responding your comment. If I wanted to really establish your bad taste in music, it would be the fact that you dismiss anything that isn't brand spanking new.
Words in my mouth.
The majority of music I listen to is from the 80s and 90s.
The idea that it had to come out last week to be good is as stupid as thinking that only music from 20 years ago is of value.
Words in my mouth.
You, on the other hand, as you've shown time and time again, cannot get passed the 1980s.
Or to think that a band from 20 years ago that puts out a new record is some how less important.
Words in my mouth.
So then you are saying liking Earth Crisis and metalcore establishes that you have bad taste in music?
No, I'm not. And I have awesome taste in music.

-Joe.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:52 pm

Davo, a challenge: please list all the bands that you know I listen to that you consider bad and by me listening to them proves I have bad taste in music... and we'll see who on here agrees with you.

-Joe.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:10 pm

Joe wrote:Davo, a challenge: please list all the bands that you know I listen to that you consider bad and by me listening to them proves I have bad taste in music... and we'll see who on here agrees with you.

-Joe.
God, you tend to take general comment very, very personally.

I really don't care what you listen to. If you are mostly listening to music from over 10 years ago, maybe you should lay off the references to my age. Most of that music was made by people my age and in a lot of cases older.

By the way, 20 years ago was fun but I have to say that if Des Moines live music had a golden age it was the late 90s.

Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:12 pm

I AM A POT PUNK

/

LAFF OUT LOUD AT DAVO ASKING PEOPLE TO LAY OFF HIS AGE

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:13 am

DaVo wrote:
Is that the one that Ryan came out in DuBay's coffin?
yes, he came out in the coffin, it was rather impressive for a local act. i was truly inspired.

crow wrote:jordan, what was the band that chris and i assume you went to see and then he wanted me to write our songs exactly like theirs?
sure was, but Chris was there. I remember it was Chris, Parker, and I and...maybe someone else. I was wearing a Misfits t-shirt and some 'old' dude with a mohawk commented on it and showed me his Misfits tattoo. I felt way cool.
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others