Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Re: So who was there?

Post by Joey Chaos » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:29 pm

Aye.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:58 pm

Yeah I'm working on recording all the footage I have. After that I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:06 pm

what is this? im blocked

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:19 pm

joseph wrote:
what is this? im blocked
Strange you should be able to see it. I choose the everyone can view it option. Try signing into Facebook.

It's footage of Agent Orange playing Safari in 1997,

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:29 pm

DaVo wrote:
joseph wrote:
what is this? im blocked
Strange you should be able to see it. I choose the everyone can view it option. Try signing into Facebook.

It's footage of Agent Orange playing Safari in 1997,
no, im blocked from work from going to facebook. and no. i was not there.

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:13 pm

Have footage of SNFU playing Hairy Mary's in '99?

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:24 pm

Nick wrote:Have footage of SNFU playing Hairy Mary's in '99?
I would like to see that. I had to work that night and missed it. SNFI is a great and forgotten band.

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:27 pm

I definitely saw that show. At that time, I went to see any band that was on Epitaph or whatever big punk labels back then, even if I didn't like them very much. That would be the case with SNFU.

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:28 pm

DaVo wrote:
I would like to see that. I had to work that night and missed it. SNFI is a great and forgotten band.
It was a good show. Probably only about 30 people there. I played a game of pinball with Mr. Chi Pig.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:33 pm

Nick wrote:
DaVo wrote:
It was a good show. Probably only about 30 people there. I played a game of pinball with Mr. Chi Pig.
Yeah I think I had a bunch of over shows that week and had already closed the shop for a couple of them and just couldn't for that one. I always booking a band that I wanted to see and not being able to get down there to see them.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:39 pm

Man, this is a show i'm so pissed i missed.......and i think it was because of a girl.
Heard they wouldn't play "The Bomb" though.
Joni Mitchell Tapes?

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:57 pm

Hank Fist wrote:
Man, this is a show i'm so pissed i missed.......and i think it was because of a girl.
Heard they wouldn't play "The Bomb" though.
Joni Mitchell Tapes?
I'm pretty sure I remember them playing "Joni Mitchell Tapes." I know off that album they definitely played "Reality Is A Ride On A Bus", because I went nuts when they started playing it. Same with "Rusty Rake." Fuck....they used to be a great band.

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:59 pm

I remember talking about this show with andy schaller at school. But I didn't go. Snfu, not agent orange. I didn't start really going to shows until 98.
First show was either on valentines day or the day before in 98 at the safari. The bands were smakdab and the rejects. The next day I decided I wanted to start a band.
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

crow

Post by crow » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:26 pm

jordan, what was the band that chris and i assume you went to see and then he wanted me to write our songs exactly like theirs?
"boobiez and buttz"
- u-god of the wu tang clan

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:58 pm

I think my first "punk" show was in like late '96 or early '97 at the Safari (I was 16 at the time). It was Suicide Machines + Apocalyspe Hoboken. I was pretty big into both bands at the time. It wasn't too long after "Destruction By Definition" came out. That was still probably the largest crowd I've seen at any punk show in Des Moines since. Still one of the best shows I've ever been to in my life, but maybe because it was my first?

I saw Apocalypse Hoboken again like 3-4 years later at Hairy Mary's. It was right after "Micro Stars" came out. They had just added a new guitarist and he didn't know how to play any of the old songs. I kept shouting out old songs for them to play and the lead singer would say...."he doesn't know that song" and point at the guitarist. I remember he was also sitting on a bar stool, which at one point, he lit on fire. I was drunk off my ass and sining all the songs I knew right up by the stage. It seemed like I was probably one of the only people into the band that was there (out of 20 or so). Afterwards, I was looking at the merch table and they appreciated that I was so into their band that they just gave me the Apoclaypse Hoboken/Oblivion 7", a Pale Imcompetence 7", a T-Shirt, a patch and some stickers all for free. Swell guys, but a pretty shitty show.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:25 pm

Nick wrote:I think my first "punk" show was in like late '96 or early '97 at the Safari (I was 16 at the time). It was Suicide Machines + Apocalyspe Hoboken. I was pretty big into both bands at the time. It wasn't too long after "Destruction By Definition" came out. That was still probably the largest crowd I've seen at any punk show in Des Moines since. Still one of the best shows I've ever been to in my life, but maybe because it was my first?

I saw Apocalypse Hoboken again like 3-4 years later at Hairy Mary's. It was right after "Micro Stars" came out. They had just added a new guitarist and he didn't know how to play any of the old songs. I kept shouting out old songs for them to play and the lead singer would say...."he doesn't know that song" and point at the guitarist. I remember he was also sitting on a bar stool, which at one point, he lit on fire. I was drunk off my ass and sining all the songs I knew right up by the stage. It seemed like I was probably one of the only people into the band that was there (out of 20 or so). Afterwards, I was looking at the merch table and they appreciated that I was so into their band that they just gave me the Apoclaypse Hoboken/Oblivion 7", a Pale Imcompetence 7", a T-Shirt, a patch and some stickers all for free. Swell guys, but a pretty shitty show.
I'm pretty sure that Suicide Machine didn't play there until 98. I know that it was after Jake bought the bar from Shawn. That said it was over 10 years ago and I could be wrong.

AP played their first show in Des Moines with the Blue Meanies. I want to say that this might have been the same show cause I know the Blue Meanies played with Agent Orange at least once. I remember pushing the show by saying that the Blue Meanies were a Ska band cause I didn't know how many of the kids knew who Agent Orange was and the Ska shows at the time were drawing more. AP played a few times during the summer of 97. Including a 21 and over show with my band the Have Nots. I want to say it was thrown together at the last minute and there was 4 or 5 bands on the bill.

It's funny that you mentioned AP cause I've been recording my records and just did Date Rape Nation and Zep 3. I had kind of forgotten about them. Like so many Chicago bands they didn't get the notice they should have.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:29 pm

jjjsXe wrote:I remember talking about this show with andy schaller at school. But I didn't go. Snfu, not agent orange. I didn't start really going to shows until 98.
First show was either on valentines day or the day before in 98 at the safari. The bands were smakdab and the rejects. The next day I decided I wanted to start a band.
Is that the one that Ryan came out in DuBay's coffin?

That was back when most of the local bands would do an all ages show and then a 21 & over on the same day. No body does that anymore.

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:52 pm

DaVo wrote: Like so many Chicago bands they didn't get the notice they should have.
Truth. So many good punk bands out of Chicago that are underrated. Naked Raygun, Apocalyspe Hoboken, The Effigies, Articles of Faith (brutally underrated), 88 Fingers Louie, The Bollweevils.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:53 pm

DaVo wrote: That was back when most of the local bands would do an all ages show and then a 21 & over on the same day. No body does that anymore.
What an astute observation.

The Effigies suck.

-Joe.

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:56 pm

88 fingers louie was the best thing to come out of chicago in the 90s.

wait no, i meant veruca salt
Tu vir nunc es, canis

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:03 pm

LOS CRUDOS.

-Joe.

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:03 pm

^Yes.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:19 pm

Joe wrote:
DaVo wrote: That was back when most of the local bands would do an all ages show and then a 21 & over on the same day. No body does that anymore.

The Effigies suck.

-Joe.
It maybe the lack of demand for live music more than anything. There was a time when a local band could draw 100 to 200 at an all ages show and then do it again on a 21 & over show.

Well, we've already established that you have bad taste in music and I'm guessing that this is based on limited exposure. Body Bag was one of the best Hardcore singles to come out in the 80s.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:20 pm

Nick wrote:
DaVo wrote: Like so many Chicago bands they didn't get the notice they should have.
Truth. So many good punk bands out of Chicago that are underrated. Naked Raygun, Apocalyspe Hoboken, The Effigies, Articles of Faith (brutally underrated), 88 Fingers Louie, The Bollweevils.
Big Black

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:22 pm

DaVo wrote:Body Bag was one of the best Hardcore singles to come out in the 80s.
I'd agree with this. Although I personally liked The Bollweevils cover of it better than the original. Great song either way though.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:24 pm

DaVo wrote:Well, we've already established that you have bad taste in music and I'm guessing that this is based on limited exposure. Body Bag was one of the best Hardcore singles to come out in the 80s.
I have bad taste in music because I actually listen to punk bands that came around after December 31st, 1989?

lol, okay.

-Joe.

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:28 pm

DaVo wrote:
Joe wrote:

-Joe.
It maybe the lack of demand for live music more than anything. There was a time when a local band could draw 100 to 200 at an all ages show and then do it again on a 21 & over show.
locals dont really draw that many people and i dont think they ever really did. i think then it was more of an event to go to a show where now theres so many shows going on at once that people just go meh alot. look at last weekend. bishops,gdp and torche all at same time? 10, 15 years ago never woulda happened. i blame the internet.

and Crudos were way better than any other band in this thread.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:39 pm

Joe wrote:
DaVo wrote:Well, we've already established that you have bad taste in music and I'm guessing that this is based on limited exposure. Body Bag was one of the best Hardcore singles to come out in the 80s.
I have bad taste in music because I actually listen to punk bands that came around after December 31st, 1989?

lol, okay.

-Joe.
You really have no idea what I listen to. I only listen to bands that released material before December 31st, 1985. That was when punk was over. Duh.

You know that on December 31st, 1989 I was at the Outhouse in Lawrence, KS seeing D.I. Still 20 years later it was one of the best shows I've ever seen.