More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Nick

How good is Tumea & Sons

Post by Nick » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:25 am

Best Fettucini Alfredo I've ever had. That creamy parmeasan dressing is pretty unfuckwithable too.

Mama Lacona's still has the better rolls though. And the best fried chicken in Des Moines.

joseph

Re: How good is Tumea & Sons

Post by joseph » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:28 pm

meh

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:47 pm

Very good.

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:19 pm

Their meatball sandwich is overwhelming. Good stuff.

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Riccellis is the best Italian food in DSM, hands down.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:39 am

Riccelli's? I haven't been there in about ten years but from what I recall, not so much.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:17 am

El Rhino wrote:Riccelli's? I haven't been there in about ten years but from what I recall, not so much.
agreed.

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:14 pm

If you like Cockroaches in your food, its the place to go.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:07 pm

joseph wrote:
El Rhino wrote:Riccelli's? I haven't been there in about ten years but from what I recall, not so much.
agreed.
Ate there back in August. Still the same menu they have had since the 80s and some of the same wait staff. The food is average but better then Mama's. They were always known for their onion rings in my family and the fact they were about the only Italian Restaurant that was open on Sundays.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:05 pm

There's about a million places to get really good onion rings in Des Moines.

I haven't been to Mama Lacona's since... hmmmm.....1993 or so. It used to be pretty much at the corner of SW 9th and Army Post. I remember their bread being very good but I don't remember what anything else was like. I know my family went there all the time for dinner. Never been to the new location out in Urbandale or where ever it is. Sellouts.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:33 pm

El Rhino wrote:There's about a million places to get really good onion rings in Des Moines.

I haven't been to Mama Lacona's since... hmmmm.....1993 or so. It used to be pretty much at the corner of SW 9th and Army Post. I remember their bread being very good but I don't remember what anything else was like. I know my family went there all the time for dinner. Never been to the new location out in Urbandale or where ever it is. Sellouts.
ketchup.
it was fun to watch mama lacona when she was around. yelling and slapping employees hands. actually reminded me of sunday dinners at home.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:59 pm

El Rhino wrote:There's about a million places to get really good onion rings in Des Moines.

Yes there are. I'm talking back in the day. They were the only place that had those shoe string ones. It was one of the few places that my family would travel to the southside to eat at. There was also Reeds on Armypost, La Pizza house for the Meatball sandwich and the Mr Steak on SE 14th and Armypost for the deep fried Mushrooms.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:23 pm

Dude, shoe string onion rings are pretty much a given throughout Des Moines. Pretty much every Italian place has them.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:56 am

El Rhino wrote:Dude, shoe string onion rings are pretty much a given throughout Des Moines. Pretty much every Italian place has them.
Yes now, but not back then.

By the way the best pizza was at Babe's. The closest is got to be either Chuck's or Noah's.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:08 am

DaVo wrote:
El Rhino wrote:Dude, shoe string onion rings are pretty much a given throughout Des Moines. Pretty much every Italian place has them.
youre really not that much older. scornos, la pizza house, hilltop, chucks... pretty much anywhere that had any kind of "italian cuisine" had the thin onion rings. my complaint is most of them now have those damn tempura type breaded bastards.

crow

Post by crow » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:21 am

fuck all that. i'd rather have a blooming onion anyways.
"boobiez and buttz"
- u-god of the wu tang clan

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:10 am

Just ate La Pizza House this weekend. There onion rings are not stringy any more but big thick orange fuckers. Still good, but doesnt compare to say Scornos or even Ted's rings for that matter. Pizza still kicks dick, but its too expensive. 30$ for a large (not that large as we all know) and an order of rings. Its cheaper going with a large group.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:42 am

Beaver wrote:Just ate La Pizza House this weekend. There onion rings are not stringy any more but big thick orange fuckers. Still good, but doesnt compare to say Scornos or even Ted's rings for that matter. Pizza still kicks dick, but its too expensive. 30$ for a large (not that large as we all know) and an order of rings. Its cheaper going with a large group.
I SAID USED TOO

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:30 pm

joseph wrote:
DaVo wrote:
youre really not that much older. scornos, la pizza house, hilltop, chucks... pretty much anywhere that had any kind of "italian cuisine" had the thin onion rings. my complaint is most of them now have those damn tempura type breaded bastards.
LPH, Hilltop and Chucks.... all had thick cut.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:28 pm

DaVo wrote:
joseph wrote:
DaVo wrote: Yes now, but not back then.
LPH, Hilltop and Chucks.... all had thick cut.
fine. about as far back as i can date myself with other "family" events, in 1980 they did. but tevs youre right.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:23 pm

lo