More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Re: vegan question...

Post by ilikehorses » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:44 pm

Nick wrote:I sometimes wonder how most vegans feel about abortion. Than't not a condescending question either. I honestly wonder. I mean it seems a lot of the reasons why people choose to become vegan is because of how animals are treated and used like a "product" for consumption by humans. But then a lot of those same people I have met are also pro-choice. To me, it is sort of hypocritical to say say it is wrong to kill an animal for ethical or moral reasons, yet alright to take the life of a human fetus.
only if you believe a "fetus" of ten weeks is a living creature and not just a group of unidentifiable cells.
Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:45 am

I'm personally against abortion but I'm also against legislation banning it

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:16 am

I try to remove every form of exploitation from my life that I can. Some are easier (veganism) than others (oil dependence and whatnot), and this has absolutely nothing at all to do with me being vegan. I do what I can do to reduce my dependence on exploitation in day to day life because I actually think about how shit makes its way into my life. No one will ever in their life be free of all exploitation, no matter what... but we all do what we can.

You don't have to be vegan to care about how the world works... but caring about how the world works and being vegan usually go hand in hand.

-Joe.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:27 am

well put

Nam

Post by Nam » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:54 am

Nick wrote:I sometimes wonder how most vegans feel about abortion. Than't not a condescending question either. I honestly wonder. I mean it seems a lot of the reasons why people choose to become vegan is because of how animals are treated and used like a "product" for consumption by humans. But then a lot of those same people I have met are also pro-choice. To me, it is sort of hypocritical to say say it is wrong to kill an animal for ethical or moral reasons, yet alright to take the life of a human fetus.
like i said: veganism(the caring of animal abuse and mistreatment) and human rights are different subject matters. embrios are tiny babies! EMBRIOS ARE TINY BABIES!.. whatever way you see it

i still want the placenta... seriously

and if noone lived exploitation free we would all have health insurance and i could go to get stiches instead of using superglue at home.

...is gas vegan?
blah

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:47 am

ilikehorses wrote:
only if you believe a "fetus" of ten weeks is a living creature and not just a group of unidentifiable cells.
If this was the argument of the vegan, then why do those who believe that way not eat eggs? I mean aren't eggs techniclly just a "group of unidentifiable cells?"

crow

Post by crow » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:56 am

Nick wrote:
ilikehorses wrote:
If this was the argument of the vegan, then why do those who believe that way not eat eggs? I mean aren't eggs techniclly just a "group of unidentifiable cells?"

probably has to do with the treatment of the chicken who laid the egg.
"boobiez and buttz"
- u-god of the wu tang clan

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:05 am

crow wrote:probably has to do with the treatment of the chicken who laid the egg.
Valid point if the eggs were acquired from a "factory farm", but what if the eggs waid laid naturally by a free range hen? Egg laying is a natural process of all hens and there is noting inhumane about gathering their eggs for consumption if done outside of a "factory farm." It could be equated to gathering and harvesting the caps of a morel mushroom I guess.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:30 am

Thom wrote:But what the fuck do I know, I became vegan for all the hot pussy.
for the win.

Thom

Post by Thom » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:36 am

I might be way off base here, but isn't it true that the USDA has no restrictions on the definition of "free range"? So for instance, as long as the animal is allowed "free range" time for part of the day, no matter what happens the rest of the day, its still labeled and packaged as such.

Besides, if you are going to end your dependency on certain animal products it seems like a half-hearted effort to continue consuming others. For me at least.

Tampa Josh
Keepin it Real, Hatin Herb

Post by Tampa Josh » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:44 am

Here is a serious ? for vegan people:

Why on internet message boards in "What are you eating" threads instead of just saying what you are eating you have to describe everything as fake or by the vegan brand name IE:

"I am eating a Morningstar double cheeseburger with fake cheese, tofu bacon, fake mayo topped off with some organic tomato ketchup"

Seriously, I get it you are a vegan, why must you ensure to everyone every bit of your food is "Vegan Friendly" are you looking for approval or attention?

Please answer this for me.

Thanks.

Hail the Order.
Thom wrote: At least assholes like tampa josh know they hate people.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:49 am

Thom wrote:I might be way off base here, but isn't it true that the USDA has no restrictions on the definition of "free range"?
they do have regulations but they are incredibly vague and easy to get around.

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:59 am

inx515xhell wrote:
Thom wrote:I might be way off base here, but isn't it true that the USDA has no restrictions on the definition of "free range"?
they do have regulations but they are incredibly vague and easy to get around.
i watched some show on "local foods" and they went to a free range chicken farm where 4 chickens were in a wire cage 4Lx4Wx2'H that they moved around once a day. funny

Walking Thunder

Post by Walking Thunder » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:49 pm

Tampa Josh wrote:Here is a serious ? for vegan people:

Why on internet message boards in "What are you eating" threads instead of just saying what you are eating you have to describe everything as fake or by the vegan brand name IE:

"I am eating a Morningstar double cheeseburger with fake cheese, tofu bacon, fake mayo topped off with some organic tomato ketchup"
Most of that crap isn't vegan. Certainly not Morningstar, and it depends on what kind of fake cheese it is. But I don't trust any of them The rest of the mentioned stuff I don't care about; it's gross.

I know what you're getting at--sorry about being a stickler.

If you're dire to be vegan you'd think you'd drop the idea of wanting to eat something that resembles beef, dairy, and pork. That's the way I look at it. I eat vegan pizza and burriots, but the food I eat hardly resembles food derived from animal products. It's different and absent of substitution. I don't know, a vegan's diet should change and not simply become a collection of substitutes for the real thing.
-John
Doomed to endure and prevail.

Tampa Josh

Post by Tampa Josh » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:07 pm

Walking Thunder wrote:

Most of that crap isn't vegan. Certainly not Morningstar, and it depends on what kind of fake cheese it is. But I don't trust any of them The rest of the mentioned stuff I don't care about; it's gross.

If you're dire to be vegan you'd think you'd drop the idea of wanting to eat something that resembles beef, dairy, and pork. That's the way I look at it. I eat vegan pizza and burriots, but the food I eat hardly resembles food derived from animal products. It's different and absent of substitution. I don't know, a vegan's diet should change and not simply become a collection of substitutes for the real thing.
I don't know if that shit is vegan or not, I was just listing crap that "sounded vegan" maybe. Don't get caught in semantics, I was asking why some people feel it is necessary to mention every ingredient in their meal is "meat-free" is it for attention or asking for approval?

Of course not everyone is like this, but the ones that do it boggle my mind.

And I agree with you about the whole "Idea of eating meat" thing, but hey it ain't my life so I don't care, until they start burning down the Altoona Sonic or some shit.

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:48 pm

Nick wrote:
crow wrote:probably has to do with the treatment of the chicken who laid the egg.
Valid point if the eggs were acquired from a "factory farm", but what if the eggs waid laid naturally by a free range hen? Egg laying is a natural process of all hens and there is noting inhumane about gathering their eggs for consumption if done outside of a "factory farm." It could be equated to gathering and harvesting the caps of a morel mushroom I guess.
as stated, most "free range" egg farms are little better than factory farms.
my dad, though, has a farm where his chickens run free throughout the farm and aren't caged up. they have a building they can go in and out of. that's a real free range farm. but doing it that way, it's nearly impossible to sell enough eggs to make a profit.
Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:50 pm

Walking Thunder wrote:

we grow up with our culture's foods as a staple of our diet. as we grow older, these same foods are seen as desirable or comfortable. even after going vegetarian or vegan, these foods are still seen that way. so for some (many), a fake chicken sandwich or a fake hamburger or fake ice cream triggers these learned behaviors and memories and are pleasing.
if you don't eat fake chicken or fake cheese, i don't see any problem with that, but i also don't see a problem with someone who does.

UGH I SUCK

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:58 pm

I like to use eggs right out of the chickens ass for egging houses. For some reason they look grosser when splattered over somebody's siding.
I poop on Petland!

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:01 pm

Seriously, I get it you are a vegan, why must you ensure to everyone every bit of your food is "Vegan Friendly" are you looking for approval or attention?

Thanks.

Hail the Order.
in my experience, if i don't say "fake chicken, blah blah blah," i get a reaction like this:

me: "i had a chik'n sandwich..."
coworker: "OH MY GOD, YOU ATE MEAT!" (as if it's a celebration or great event)
me: "no, you see, i had a morningstar chick'n sandwich, which is actually soy...blahblahblah."

if i don't clarify it right away, i spend the next ten minutes explaining it to (usually) my coworkers. when you dont eat meat, your diet is consistently scrutinized by everyone you know, generally.

UGH I SUCK

Tampa Josh

Post by Tampa Josh » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:20 pm

ilikehorses wrote:

Thanks.

Hail the Order.
in my experience, if i don't say "fake chicken, blah blah blah," i get a reaction like this:

me: "no, you see, i had a morningstar chick'n sandwich, which is actually soy...blahblahblah."

if i don't clarify it right away, i spend the next ten minutes explaining it to (usually) my coworkers. when you dont eat meat, your diet is consistently scrutinized by everyone you know, generally.
Fair answer, I can see where that would get annoying, probably as annoying as it is for me to hear that everything is "fake this" and "fake that"

They should know you don't eat meat and just realize automatically when you say you are eating "chicken" it really isn't chicken.

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:25 pm

Tampa Josh wrote:
ilikehorses wrote:

Thanks.

Hail the Order.

Fair answer, I can see where that would get annoying, probably as annoying as it is for me to hear that everything is "fake this" and "fake that"

They should know you don't eat meat and just realize automatically when you say you are eating "chicken" it really isn't chicken.
i'm waiting for that day!

UGH I SUCK

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:42 pm

Does anybody here but me eat meat? Seems a lot of you are vegan/vegetarian.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:47 pm

trust me, your in the majority

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:47 pm

take a poll

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:49 pm

No, don't.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:54 pm

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:01 pm

TooManyHumyns wrote:trust me, your in the majority
I guess the majority of people who are vegan are gonna be posting in a thread that has a question poised toward them, eh? So I guess my inclination was/is probably off a bit.

Tampa Josh

Post by Tampa Josh » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:42 pm

I will be eating tons of meat pie in Russia in May

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:12 pm

Tampa Josh wrote:I will be eating tons of hair pie in Russia in May

Tampa Josh

Post by Tampa Josh » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:21 pm

El Rhino wrote:
Tampa Josh wrote:I will be detained by the FSB in Russia in May