More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Cityview's Best Of.... B-Bops?

Post by El Rhino » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:45 pm

Seriously, WTF? How does this win "Best Burger" 20 years in a row or whatever they're up to now. I mean, it's not bad but it's pretty much nothing but Burger King made a little closer to home. Definitely no Drake Diner....or even Hardee's for that matter. Certainly not a roquefort burger from Django either. Honestly, I'd imagine that pretty much anywhere that makes a burger with real meat beats B-Bops or at least gives it a run for it's money.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Re: Cityview's Best Of.... B-Bops?

Post by Big Fat Retard » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:14 pm

Agreed. If you have to settle for a fast food burger, B-Bops or Hardees are the best in the area, but in no way are they the best burger in town. There are probaby 50 bars in town that make way better burgers. I think they win every year simply because most of the people voting are too dumb to know better.
I poop on Petland!

KY Jelly Belly

Post by KY Jelly Belly » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:20 pm

I fuckin HATE this list! Every year best french fries goes to McDonalds! i mean C'mon there are a million other places with much better fries!!

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:24 pm

rhino- i have no idea what youre talking about. B-Bops is by far the best. drake diner is ... its just ... it doesnt have a balance. hardees is nasty, its like a slimeburger with some loose meat made into a patty with shortening.

im really confused by your quandry

Crumpty Williams
Spatula Spam

Post by Crumpty Williams » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:31 pm

i don't eat meat anymore... but from what i remember b-bops really is almost EXACTLY like burger king. which made it among the best for a fast food burger. but yeah, that's probably not saying too much. and i'm guessing that meat is processed as hell...
i fucking rule.

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:43 pm

bbops is one of the few fast food chains that actually has a real fire(not a microwave) that the meat actually goes over. their secret ingredient is liquid smoke though which is kinda weird

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:05 pm

Maybe everyone who votes thinks that Best Burger means Best Fast Food Burger. That's my only explanation, because obviously there are lots of restaurants with better burgers.

I'd like to voice my love for Culver's. Everything there is excellent, every single time.

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:17 pm

B-Bop's is SIMILAR to Burger King, but only in that the burger is flame broiled. The burgers taste way better, and you can tell that they are cooked to order on the spot.

B-Bops is one of the things I miss most about Des Moines. What's key is that they shred their lettuce, which allows the lettuce to better soak up the condiments creating a tasty layer of ketchup, lettuce and mayonnaise which then mingles with the grease from the burger. It's perfect. Fucking old school. Plus they use styrofoam which I view as sticking proudly to their guns in a time when the far left is trying harder than ever to destroy the American Burger Experience through pressure on environmental issues.

There really should be two categories, fast food and sit-down burger. The quintessential burger will always be the fast food burger, though... ordering a burger in a sit-down restaurant is bush league unless you are in a restaurant that specializes in burgers, in which case you are at Fuddruckers and I feel sorry for you.

Bar burgers are usually pretty whack (with a few exceptions of course) and you are better off ordering something chicken finger based.

McDonalds winning the fry category is really sad. Freaking B-Bop's has better fries.

*when all is said and done I still think B-Bop's should give up the throne from time to time to showcase another local burger joint, even if they are the best.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:45 pm

Single w/ cheese
small fries
cola
burgers.fries.cola

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:10 am

I love B-Bops.. I choose it over most any fast food place(aside from Taco John's). If I am getting fast food(that isn't Taco John's) I'm either eating B-Bops or Hardee's. If those two aren't an option I go to Wendy's. Can't do McDonald's or Burger King anymore. But, as much shit food that I eat, I don't eat a lot of fast food. It is either Hy Vee Chinese, or other grocery store cafe food to go.

I will give a shout out to the Village Inn Ultimate Double Burger-Bacon. Amazing.
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

ginx86

Post by ginx86 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:56 am

When I first moved here I went to B-Bops specifically because they'd won best burger of Des Moines umpteen times in a row. Got the styrofoam clam shell and thought, it must be good if they're still serving them in these. Didn't blow me away but it was still better than most fast food burgers. They really should have two categories like was mentioned earlier with fast food burgers and sit down restaurant burgers being judged separately.

Walking Thunder

Post by Walking Thunder » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:18 pm

When I did eat meat The Big Steer had awesome burgers. They grind and pack their own sirloin (used to work there). When the kitchen would cut too much meat, and therefore too much grinding, the owners let employees take huge bags of meat home. On the nights that this occurred I'd walk out with about 50 lbs. of fresh ground sirloin.

B-Bops used to be the love of my life! But I was pampered living in Altoona--having the first dine-in Bops. I used to eat there weekly. Twice a week was not uncommon. But I got tired of the burgers and moved to the chicken sandwich. I think the last time I was there was when a friend visited and we ate there for nostalgic purposes, during the summer.

EDIT: In summation, B-Bops' throne must be usurped.
-John
Doomed to endure and prevail.

kristy

Post by kristy » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Here's what I remember about B-bops hamburgers... they were the saltiest things EVER. I love salt. I couldn't handle those patty shaped salt licks.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:59 pm

This is going to sound fucking stupid to the bloodmouths, but, order a B-Bops sandwich without the meat and the mayonnaise, order fries, remove top bun of burger, put fries on burger, replace top bun, VEGAN B-BOPS.

-Joe.

jonnyROCKET

Post by jonnyROCKET » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:09 pm

I only got B-Bops tenderloins...haven't been there in a while.

hate hate HATE their fries.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:06 am

Hardee's has the best fries.
I poop on Petland!

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:31 am

Joe wrote:This is going to sound fucking stupid to the bloodmouths, but, order a B-Bops sandwich without the meat and the mayonnaise, order fries, remove top bun of burger, put fries on burger, replace top bun, VEGAN B-BOPS.

-Joe.

Nah, this captures the essence. Which is salt, glorious salt.

I drop at least one kidney stone every time I go there.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:46 pm

Joe wrote:This is going to sound fucking stupid to the bloodmouths, but, order a B-Bops sandwich without the meat and the mayonnaise, order fries, remove top bun of burger, put fries on burger, replace top bun, VEGAN B-BOPS.

-Joe.
truth. i've been doing this for years.
zack krook owes me two of these.

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:52 pm

inx515xhell wrote:

-Joe.

Why pay $5+ for a bun and some lettuce and fries?
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:56 pm

jjjsXe wrote:
inx515xhell wrote:

-Joe.

Why pay $5+ for a bun and some lettuce and fries?
49 cents bro.

beejwins
Ex-Hippy

Post by beejwins » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:01 pm

omg and they're only like 40 cents. I fill mine with shitloads of ranch cause somehow they have the best ranch ever. I worked for bbops forever when i was younger and it was awesome. we smoked weed in the outside bathroom and ate like 5 burgers a night. i miss bbops burgers but i suppose ive had my fair share.

jonnyROCKET

Post by jonnyROCKET » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:42 pm

how are these only 40 cents?
what do you ask for?

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:44 pm

a veggie, no che, no mayo, and a small fries.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:21 am

inx515xhell wrote:a veggie, no che, no mayo, and a small fries.
Sounds gay to me, but what the fuck do I know?
I poop on Petland!

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:26 am

beejwins wrote:
omg and they're only like 40 cents. I fill mine with shitloads of ranch cause somehow they have the best ranch ever. I worked for bbops forever when i was younger and it was awesome. we smoked weed in the outside bathroom and ate like 5 burgers a night. i miss bbops burgers but i suppose ive had my fair share.
when you used to bring me home bops with no ketchup or mayo but with mustard. i would just wait and wait for you to get off. that was magical

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:53 am

im kinda disappointed nobodys mentioned little johns yet. that place is great

crow

Post by crow » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:55 am

the bops is probably the thing i miss most about des moines. i try to eat it twice every time i come back for the weekend.
"boobiez and buttz"
- u-god of the wu tang clan

Crumpty Williams
Spatula Spam

Post by Crumpty Williams » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:12 pm

Big Fat Retard wrote:
inx515xhell wrote:a veggie, no che, no mayo, and a small fries.
Sounds gay to me, but what the fuck do I know?
agreed.

If you're gonna be a veggie person and you want fast food, i say just go get the veggie burger from bk. maybe its not vegan but im not speaking for the vegans.

fries and lettuce on a bun? wtf that just sounds terrible. not to mention that yeah, as others have said before me, b-bops fries are pretty crappy.
i fucking rule.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:32 pm

joseph wrote:im kinda disappointed nobodys mentioned little johns yet. that place is great
word. that place is great. haven't been there in awhile, but now that you brought it up....
I poop on Petland!

carlixpike

Post by carlixpike » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:36 pm

I wish every day that AZ had B-Bops!