More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

joseph

Re: Let's talk about punk.

Post by joseph » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:14 pm

DARKBASS wrote:I don't take any prescription drugs, I would if I was sick, but I wouldn't take any mood or mind balance altering drugs or anything like that.
just asking cause you randomly postpostpostpost post and then you disappear for a while

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:20 pm

lol, It's because I don't have an internet connection at my current residence. So I either have to try to "borrow" someones wi fi, or walk down the road to the Mars Cafe, or use it during downtime at work.
MARK'O'WAR

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:39 pm

inx515xhell wrote:
DaVo wrote:Slayer, Metallic(a), Black Sabbath, every black or death metal band. The metal loves the Satan, the Dragons and the Wizards.
none of those bands have songs about dragons.
DaVo wrote:The one thing that makes Hardcore stand out from metal is the fact the fucking lyrics usually have some meaning before them.
lol stfu. that's a weak fucking statement. all of the songs on show no mercy have more lyrical content than most hardcore band's lyrics from that time.

"You think you can destroy me? You'd better think again
I am eternal terror my quest will never end
I'll trap you in the pentagram
And seal your battered tomb
Your life is just another game
For Satan's night of doom"

VS.

"KILL A COMMIE
KILL A COMMIE
I DON'T WANT TO DIE
KILL A COMMIE
KILL A COMMIE
I DON'T WANT TO GO TO WAR"
Like I said usually. There are exceptions to every rule.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:54 pm

DaVo wrote:Like I said usually. There are exceptions to every rule.
...the thing is, that's not an exception. i understand bands like later black flag and scream had some awesome lyrical content, but to say that hardcore lyrics had more meaning behind them is foolish.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:14 pm

inx515xhell wrote:
...the thing is, that's not an exception. i understand bands like later black flag and scream had some awesome lyrical content, but to say that hardcore lyrics had more meaning behind them is foolish.
I'm not talking about 80s hardcore. Most of Black Flags later lyrics were fucking dumb. "I bang my fist into the wall and this is good and this is good and this is good."

Scream? what from the Bang on the Drum record? That is a strange reference. I wouldn't call their last record a hardcore record if anything it fit more into the DC emo/post hardcore scene of the late 80s. On a side note, they were great live and I still love that first record Still Screaming.

I'm talking about currently the lyrics of "Hardcore" bands tend to be more social and political meaning then the average metal or pop song. In my opinion, the music still sucks but at least they have something to say.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:25 pm

DaVo wrote:
inx515xhell wrote:
I'm not talking about 80s hardcore. Most of Black Flags later lyrics were fucking dumb. "I bang my fist into the wall and this is good and this is good and this is good."

Scream? what from the Bang on the Drum record? That is a strange reference. I wouldn't call their last record a hardcore record if anything it fit more into the DC emo/post hardcore scene of the late 80s. On a side note, they were great live and I still love that first record Still Screaming.

I'm talking about currently the lyrics of "Hardcore" bands tend to be more social and political meaning then the average metal or pop song. In my opinion, the music still sucks but at least they have something to say.
i fucking LOVE this is good.
i see what your saying, but you don't listen to enough metal to make that call (sad truth, sorry). i can think of TONS of lyrics with meaning behind them, but this is the first you've said anything about political or social meaning. even so, plenty of metal bands with political lyrics, which is a pretty broad description of lyrical content.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:36 pm

inx515xhell wrote:i fucking LOVE this is good.
i see what your saying, but you don't listen to enough metal to make that call (sad truth, sorry). i can think of TONS of lyrics with meaning behind them, but this is the first you've said anything about political or social meaning. even so, plenty of metal bands with political lyrics, which is a pretty broad description of lyrical content.
TYLER VS DAVO=
tyler wins. for the first sentence alone.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:42 pm

for real dude, such good shit. i'm the one is my favorite jam from loose nut. best one yet is a close second.

"I'm a son of a son
I'm the son of the sun
My death trip
Has just begun "

let's start a black flag cover band, i want to sing.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:49 pm

Sounds to me like all y'all needs to zip it and listen to some real hardcore shit!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d49m6G9v ... re=related
I poop on Petland!

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:51 pm

inx515xhell wrote:
this has been discussed for the last 6 months in a very serious manner. its also been agonizing thinking of playing ginns parts. if it happens itll be called BLACK COFFEE

jonnyROCKET

Post by jonnyROCKET » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:08 pm

THE BRONX
SATURDAY APRIL 11th
THE PICADOR
IOWA CITY

just announced

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:21 pm

joseph wrote:
inx515xhell wrote:
this has been discussed for the last 6 months in a very serious manner. its also been agonizing thinking of playing ginns parts. if it happens itll be called BLACK COFFEE
I think if you stuck to just the first 4 years it wouldn't be a problem.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:19 pm

DaVo wrote:
joseph wrote:this has been discussed for the last 6 months in a very serious manner. its also been agonizing thinking of playing ginns parts. if it happens itll be called BLACK COFFEE
its more of the absolute have to play songs that ruins that idea. and mimicking ginn is damn near impossible no matter what album. hes kinda the guitar equivalent to H.R. s singing sounds easier than it is

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:22 pm

inx515xhell wrote: i fucking LOVE this is good.
I'm sorry but I'm not going to go out of my way to listen to metal. I find most of it really, really boring. I will proudly be stuck with being labeled as closed minded.

The metal lyric with any real content are not the majority of lyrics. You can read into the satan image as some kind of anti-establishment stand but the fact is too often it was an attempt to selling the cartoon Alice Cooper satanist to sell records and shock parents.

Maybe I should have focused on the effect of the metal scene on their fans. Fact is that Megadeaths anti-war songs had little or no effect on their fan base. Just like Rage Against the Machine(though I really wouldn't call them metal) didn't cause their listeners to suddenly give a shit about Mexican human rights or AIM. Unlike most hardcore and punk bands effected their fan base.

Sure they are simple that is part of the overall style. I'll be the first to admit that there are a lot of dumb hardcore and punk lyrics. However, there was a message behind it and the crowd got it.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:31 pm

joseph wrote:
DaVo wrote:
joseph wrote:this has been discussed for the last 6 months in a very serious manner. its also been agonizing thinking of playing ginns parts. if it happens itll be called BLACK COFFEE
its more of the absolute have to play songs that ruins that idea. and mimicking ginn is damn near impossible no matter what album. hes kinda the guitar equivalent to H.R. s singing sounds easier than it is
Yeah I can see that. I've often wondered if he played it the same every time. It always seemed that the live footage was always a little different. Then again I've heard a number of Jealous Again covers that sounded right on.

Maybe the Circle Jerks would be easier and they were always kind of like the clone of Black Flag.

jonnyROCKET

Post by jonnyROCKET » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:17 am

I guess Fat Wreck Chords just signed Teenage Bottlerocket.

big day for me in this thread

Crumpty Williams
Spatula Spam

Post by Crumpty Williams » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:37 am

Actually i almost forgot. Gogol Bordello has pretty much everything I could ever want in a punk band and more. Again, they're a bit outside the lines of punk rock straight up and plain ramones style or whatever, but i think they deserve some props in the thread.

On a sidenote, fuck yeah to that Hawkwind avatar.
i fucking rule.

Thom

Post by Thom » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:22 am

This is the dumbest thread ever.

that being said I would like to go over a few facts.

1) black flag cover band would rule. do it. now.

2) stop fucking arguing about the lyrical content of metal vs. punk.

case in point:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFUqrzCZOuo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcaiFjXpZ3M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68SgQLKnlYM

3) Davo...I think you might have hardcore confused with metalcore. There are tons of good hardcore bands around today. Step outside your house and come to a show. Just because kids today are playing shit that you heard 1 million years ago doesn't mean the meaning is lost.

4) Seriously. Black Flag Cover Band.

I think this thread is over. Stop getting your ancient pussies full of sand.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:07 am

My favorite punk lyric is by a band called Bloody Crucifix. These are pretty deep, so don't read them unless your down wit dat.

Nailed to the cross
Nailed to the cross
I'm about to die from all the blood I lost

Nailed to the cross
Nailed to the cross
I'm paying the cost to be the boss
I poop on Petland!

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:08 am

DaVo wrote:You can read into the satan image as some kind of anti-establishment stand but the fact is too often it was an attempt to selling the cartoon Alice Cooper satanist to sell records and shock parents.
Alice Cooper never had ANY satanistic ... leanings
Maybe I should have focused on the effect of the metal scene on their fans. Fact is that Megadeaths anti-war songs had little or no effect on their fan base. Just like Rage Against the Machine(though I really wouldn't call them metal) didn't cause their listeners to suddenly give a shit about Mexican human rights or AIM. Unlike most hardcore and punk bands effected their fan base.
do you not know any metalheads? metal bands lyrics are like scripture to the fans.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:14 am

DaVo wrote:Yeah I can see that. I've often wondered if he played it the same every time. It always seemed that the live footage was always a little different. Then again I've heard a number of Jealous Again covers that sounded right on.

Maybe the Circle Jerks would be easier and they were always kind of like the clone of Black Flag.
thats the deal. almost anybody thinks ginn just fakes his way through his own songs. example- slip it in solo in the beginning thats just weird and fucked up. every bootleg/live recording ive heard its the exact fucking notes and bends. his timing is flawless. he might be the most underrated "hardcore" "punk" musician.

Oh- i fucking hate the circle jerks. much rather listen to blast! or young ginns for a wanna be Black Flag

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:26 pm

I would pay money to see a black flag cover band.

two.....

back to the topic.....punk

if you try to be punk, I think you have already failed.

just like trying to be metal, or pop, or anything.

I mean you think I wanna like only balls to the wall heavy metal?

a good analogy to me liking only the purest of metal would be.......

say someone can only get off after they have done a line of blow off of a dead hooker........

well I can only "get off" too Black Sabbath playing sign of the southern cross loud as fuck.
MARK'O'WAR

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:28 pm

oh yeah, and I like Rollins black flag better........and I respect the hell out of the man.

(I am already braced for the verbal blows about to be received)

Got one chance,infiltrate them
Get it right,terminate them
The panzers will,permeate them
Break their pride,denigrate them
And their people,retrograde them
Typhus,detriate them
Epidemic,devastate them
Take no prisoners,cremate them

Going to war,giveem hell
D-day,next stop normandie
Beginning of the end
We know how to and sure as shit well win
War is peace sure man
A retreat for the damned
A playground for the demented
A heaven for those who walk this world
Bereft of heart and soul
Love and war they say all is fair
Take his life
But wont take his hair
Your body has parts your
Country can spare
By the way son heres
Your wheelchair

He once had to be all he could be
Now hes nothing for no one nowhere to see
Funny thing,hes like you & me
Its a funny thing,a funny thing
Tears streak his solemn stare
Abandoned for wreckage nobody cares
No one knew what would happen there
No one spoke no one even dared
Dont ask what you can do for your country
Ask what your country can do for you
Take no prisoners,take no shit
MARK'O'WAR

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:34 pm

Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

DARKBASS

Post by DARKBASS » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:38 pm

lol, I guess I always made them be what I wanted them to be. Somehow I got through college that way.
MARK'O'WAR

Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:52 pm

darkbass,

your posts are the trashiest things ive ever read

kylervk

Post by kylervk » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:01 pm

DARKBASS wrote:say someone can only get off after they have done a line of blow off of a dead hooker........
why else do you think im in the netherlands?

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:13 pm

joseph wrote:
DaVo wrote:You can read into the satan image as some kind of anti-establishment stand but the fact is too often it was an attempt to selling the cartoon Alice Cooper satanist to sell records and shock parents.
Alice Cooper never had ANY satanistic ... leanings
do you not know any metalheads? metal bands lyrics are like scripture to the fans.
I was saying a cartoon of Alice Cooper. Sorry if it came across as I was calling him a satanist. Though you have to admit he was kind of the prototype.

Yes they are selling to their fans. I've always felt that those that didn't and tried to say something must have been some of the most frustrated musicians on the planet.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:19 pm

joseph wrote:
DaVo wrote:Yeah I can see that. I've often wondered if he played it the same every time. It always seemed that the live footage was always a little different. Then again I've heard a number of Jealous Again covers that sounded right on.

thats the deal. almost anybody thinks ginn just fakes his way through his own songs. example- slip it in solo in the beginning thats just weird and fucked up. every bootleg/live recording ive heard its the exact fucking notes and bends. his timing is flawless. he might be the most underrated "hardcore" "punk" musician.

Oh- i fucking hate the circle jerks. much rather listen to blast! or young ginns for a wanna be Black Flag
It has been a while but there are some differences between the versions on Everything Went Black and the decline versions. It could have been equipment but they don't sound the same. I could be wrong. The only thing I need to point out here is that Black Flag practice 30 to 40 hours a week and I'm sure he could play those songs in his sleep.

I have to disagree, the Circle Jerks in 85 were shit loads better then Black Flag in 85. I'd much rather listen to anything after Wild in the Streets then anything after My War.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:25 pm

DARKBASS wrote:oh yeah, and I like Rollins black flag better........and I respect the hell out of the man.

(I am already braced for the verbal blows about to be received)

Got one chance,infiltrate them
Get it right,terminate them
The panzers will,permeate them
Break their pride,denigrate them
And their people,retrograde them
Typhus,detriate them
Epidemic,devastate them
Take no prisoners,cremate them

Going to war,giveem hell
D-day,next stop normandie
Beginning of the end
We know how to and sure as shit well win
War is peace sure man
A retreat for the damned
A playground for the demented
A heaven for those who walk this world
Bereft of heart and soul
Love and war they say all is fair
Take his life
But wont take his hair
Your body has parts your
Country can spare
By the way son heres
Your wheelchair

He once had to be all he could be
Now hes nothing for no one nowhere to see
Funny thing,hes like you & me
Its a funny thing,a funny thing
Tears streak his solemn stare
Abandoned for wreckage nobody cares
No one knew what would happen there
No one spoke no one even dared
Dont ask what you can do for your country
Ask what your country can do for you
Take no prisoners,take no shit
If you like Rollins listen to Nick Cave, Birthday Party and read some Falkner and Bukowski, cause that is where who he ripped off. Dez period of Black Flag is still and always be when they were at their best. Just listen to the No More version on Everything Went Black and then listen to the version on Damage.