More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Mother's Pub.........?

Post by Hank Fist » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:56 pm

Ames people,
heard they changed Le Boheme into something called Mother's Pub. Heard they were doing shows there or something, what's up? Hopefully new owner.

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Re: Mother's Pub.........?

Post by servo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:29 pm

it suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks
Tu vir nunc es, canis

jonnyROCKET

Post by jonnyROCKET » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:03 pm

I've never heard anything...positive or negative...about it. I guess that means none of my friends who used to go to the Boheme go there.

rob

Post by rob » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:40 am

I tried going there once with Darrin, when he still lived here, but long line to see the one-man-Dave-Matthews-cover-band dissuaded us. I went back a couple of other times for work, it sucks pretty bad. It is a generic yuppie sports bar now. The new owners even wall-papered over the brick walls. I forget who, but one of the managers from the Ames People's is running it. Fuggit.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:24 am

i always kind of liked that little west street area, seemed kind of like a little get-away from all the frat douches, sounds like they have finally taken over. Just need a digital version of "Bags" at Thumbs and The Douchebag Special at West Street Deli.

jonnyROCKET

Post by jonnyROCKET » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:42 pm

West Street Deli is still pretty unknown among the Doucheoisie.
Gotta get myself a reuben one of these days.

moltar

Post by moltar » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:01 pm

The apartment complex across the street finished off the amplified bands thing when it was Boheme, at least as far as I know. But hey there's always the M Shop, Blinks, Papa's Corner, and Bali House.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:37 pm

moltar wrote:The apartment complex across the street finished off the amplified bands thing when it was Boheme, at least as far as I know. But hey there's always the M Shop, Blinks, Papa's Corner, and Bali House.
yeah, pete was alway nervous about the cops. pete sucked. it used to be a sweet open mic night because any band and anyone could play (this is like 2001 and before), there was some real shit up there.

beejwins
Ex-Hippy

Post by beejwins » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:27 pm

i live in ames now. i never got a chance to really hang at the boheme while it was cool. doesn't seem like they really had all that much live music up to the time before it closed anyways. ppl up here really loved the boheme, though.. it seems like it was the only place any cool people hung out regularly, plus i think james finch bartended there till the end.

when it closed, the new owners (rumored to be the thumbs/people's owners) gutted the whole place and even went so far as to paint over the big cool circle sculpture or whatever it was that was on the side of the building. i've been in there and it's just a real weak bare walled giant tv'd sports bar. if they have live music it's most likely wack.

long story short besides hanging with audrey, kristy, derek, bryon & i at our pad and chomping mad veggie & vegan food, or having a beer with some of us at london underground, (aud and i bartend there) ames is bullshit and worth avoiding.

oh i heard theres a place in boone called the elefungun or some shit they're having shows. haven't checked it out yet.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:30 pm

AMES. Ugh.
Wasted 2 and a half years of my life there.

The few basement shows that Darrin had before he moved were really fun though.

kristy

Post by kristy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:35 pm

The few times I looked in my basement and it was full of a million spiders was pretty fun.

jonnyROCKET

Post by jonnyROCKET » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:41 pm

beejwins wrote:...or having a beer with some of us at london underground, (aud and i bartend there)...
oh i heard theres a place in boone called the elefungun or some shit they're having shows. haven't checked it out yet.
Where's the London Underground? I happen to recently be of legal age and I would like to visit a cool bar.

oh and, http://www.myspace.com/elephungeon

kristy

Post by kristy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:49 pm

london underground is on main, 213 main? there's no sign telling you that it's the london underground... just a red door.

kristy

Post by kristy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:49 pm

london underground is on main, 213 main? there's no sign telling you that it's the london underground... just a red door.

aeon grey

Post by aeon grey » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:15 am

beejwins wrote:oh i heard theres a place in boone called the elefungun or some shit they're having shows. haven't checked it out yet.
basement type shows... someone told me the shows are pretty fun actually.

beejwins
Ex-Hippy

Post by beejwins » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:07 am

london underground: we have about 70 beers, mostly british imports, kostritzer, fuller's esb & franziskaner weissbier (as well as some crappy beer..) on tap.

audrey and i bartend there as well as kyle maxwell (former owner of beggar's banquet), james finch (dot coma), and a few other rad peeps.

i'm probably biased, but i think it's the best bar in ames. at least i don't run into a zillion college kids and sports nuts (we have no tv's) every time i'm there.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:51 pm

i think i once molested greg rice outside the bohem in front of a ton of sweaty frat dudes.