top movies/records of the year

Post by jason » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:24 pm

POST 'EM.

films:
1 the spirit (frank miller/will eisner)
2 synechdoche, ny (charlie kaufman)
3 the fall (shot 2006, tarsem)
4 milk (gus van sant)
5 religulous (larry charles, bill maher)
6 mister lonely (harmony korine)
7 encounters at the end of the world (werner herzog)
8 frost/nixon (ron howard)
9 my winnipeg (guy maddin)
10 burn after reading (coen brothers)

JAMS:
1 max tundra - parallax error beheads you (domino uk)
Max Tundra is a pseudonym for this UK guy who's been making electronic music since I lived in Burge at UI in early 2001. His first album, "Some Best Friend You Turned Out To Be," was named for himself. He actually stole his best friend's girlfriend, who we now found him to have left on Parallax opener Gun Chimes: "I split up with my girl todayher inconsistency made me go astray. I felt left out when she took drugs, I hope that I can survive without her hugs." The lyrics get quite absurd, but remain cute and playful but nonetheless confessional, which is strange; his first album was straight up µ-ziq/aphex style electrtonica, the second began his foray into bizarro pop, then he went away for six years while remixing Missy Elliot now this?! seriously genius, people! he is reinventing pop music and it's not being done with a mac or a pc but old fashioned circuits, nothing of this century. incredible, boundary-smashing album that is being made out to be far less accessible than it should be by the press. my personal favorite is the yes-like record-closing "until we die" in which max sings: "have you ever seen the holy mountain on ice? thirty tons of frogs and blood cascading like dice. […] and the clean-up operation wasn't nice!"
I must insist you go check this album out immediately or at least his *vurp* MySpace page! He's quite savvy, but seriously wonderful and sincere. The new record has really struck a chord with me.

2 The Shivers - Beaks To The Moon
Keith and Jo of the Shivers in NYC have been making music for a while, Keith long before that, but Beaks To The Moon is their most fully realized work to date. The newly recorded version of "I Wish I Was Never Born" makes it clear that it's an anti-war song. However, I'll always miss his lyric he had to remove to reach his current status, where he sells his own music on iTunes, plays at NYC bars and tours by night but by day is actually selling real estate. He said, as I remember: "I hate my mother for ever bringing me into this world. She never even wanted me, she wished I'd been a girl. And goddamn my father, thinking I'm a punching bag. When the bastard was in town he'd nothing better to do then to call his son a fag and what's a boy to do but go and die or fight someone else's war? I wish I was never born. I wish I was never born. It's alright if you don't want to talk about it on these sort of days, but it's the only way things are ever going to change. And I don't expect you to be an expert on these Saturdays, you know I've never felt so estranged. Something's wrong, inside me, cold and old, yet I'm still so angry. Don't want love, don't want no kids - something's wrong - but I don't know what it is! And I know it's insane, you can't quantify pain, we all suffer, from Paris Hilton, to Kurt Cobain. So let's have a toast, to those with the most, and shed a tear for all the queers. What's a boy to do to go and die?"

*ahem*
http://www.theshiversnyc.com
Sunday Feb 8 Vaudeville Mews 6 PM $6 with Derek Lambert and hopefully the Twelve Canons

3 Blank Dogs - On Both Sides (Troubleman)
This came way out of left-field this year. First took the internet by storm, then by tape by way of Fuck It and vinyl from TMU and CD from yet another label even still I think, though what made Mr. Blank Dog soar so high this year is by making almost all his music available for free on blogspot! Most of my friends compare his tunes to the Cure. He's a mysterious one-man band, but doesn't sound onimous or particuarly like an outsider, but can be joyful, mysterious, rocking, and blissfully lyrical. However, I think i've about had my full. I am eager to hear his new album in 2009, but this album and the Diana 12" are about all I need.
http://blankdogs.blogspot.com/

4 Vampire Hands - Me And You Cherry Red (Modern-Radio)
Best band in the Twin Cities. From their incredible live show to their incredibly well produced recordings, the Sparks-like falsetto vocals and psychedelic tinge of the rock unit Vampire Hands makes for an entertaining listen that is pretty rewarding. "No Fun" was my champagne jam of the summer. Best. Midwest. Band. Right. Now. You. Guys. Seriously.
http://www.myspace.com/vampirehands

5 Spiritualized® - Songs In A&E
J. Spaceman went away for a bit the past few years due to pneumonia. Wasn't looking good. Eh, his last record sucked, anyhow, right?

POW! J. Spaceman returns with this incredible concept record. Screw the harmonies, though. From "Sweet Talk" to the especially chilling "Death Take Your Fiddle" - this record turned me onto Spiritualized. "You Lie You Cheat" was even performed on Letterman! Remember how this guy defined psychedelic music for the masses in Spacemen 3? Transparent Radiation wasn't exactly accessible, but this is! I can't believe how much I loved this record.

6 Woods Family Creeps - S/T
Jeremy Earl from Fuck It Tapes and Meneguar's main outfit doing their outdoorsy thing, but definitely not 'woodsy' - *shudder* - worst term of 2008 guys! STFU. seriously.
anyhow, my man jarvis plays on this record, too, and it's their best batch of tunes yet. incredibly delicate pop tunes. wiry, even, but framed with wonderful harmonies and field recordings, delicate guitars without being too 'jeweled antlery' - this is more informed by sentridoh, amps for christ and things of that nature but of course with these guys the lyrics are incredible. loved it.
http://www.fuckittapes.com/

7 weather is happening - young country (nail in the coffin)
dan davis, casey from rickyfitts and joe ross from swing by seven sounded like a great idea, and sounded even better when they got giant cabs and amps.
jesus, this record is just massive. just simply huge. dan screams, but just like how his brother roared, it may as well be another instrument in a layered wall of sound for this album. it's pretty phenomenal. "get the fuck out" is my main jam, but it's all really solid.
http://www.myspace.com/weatherishappening

8 fire on fire - the orchard (young god records)
didn't immediately blow me away like caleb, collen's other recordings did or like micah's live show or album did earlier this year, but this record is really incredible, and it's wonderful to hear chriss sutherland sing again outside of his quite good solo album released on digitalis this year. anyhow, i just don't want it to become one big ol mess'o'maine to me! this album hasn't, but i've pulled the lyric sheet out and read along. it's chicken soup for the soul, and colleen kinsella's artwork is a huge part of that picture, and the closing "haystack" which is currently singing me off to sleep. what a band.
http://www.younggodrecords.com/

9 scott tuma - not for nobody (digitalis)
scott tuma was a founding member of souled american, earnest american folk outfit that wooden wand/james toth certainly worshiped at the altar of, and he was really the 'vanishing voice' to their 'wooden wand' i suppose you would say. it's not a great comparison, but he only sings once here, and though it's repeated in a sort of epilogue, it's a piercing, greyed-out whisper of a voice. it sounds like tiny icicles in an otherwise perfect, serene soundscape built for winter, in tight compact and dry, cold spaces where only sound can warm you!
http://www.myspace.com/scotttuma

10 alastair galbraith - orb (nextbestway)
i will always remember alastair for "stone" - the closing song on my favorite album of his. it's an incredibly lyrical track, one which is unlike his recent work, until now! orb is full of song fragments, which alastair is known for, but in this case he starts with a fuller version of something he used for his collaboration with alex neilson and richard youngs, which is hymn-like, really, as his music should be.

i want to see alastair perform in a church, because it seems to be the only suitable venue for someone who bares their soul naked for all to see with nothing but a guitar, some pedals and a frailed, aging voice that couldn't sound more human. or scottish, is it? i don't even know, but this is great ambient, creative and not entirely too noisy music. y'all iowa city noise-heads need to take notes on this one.

also loved:
windy & carl - songs for the broken hearted
grouper - dragging a dead deer up a hill
gudrun gut - i put a record on
larkin grimm - parplar
secret abuse - new lp
pocahaunted - (some)things
no things - live in grinnell
alan and richard bishop live in iowa city
w-s burn and weird weeds live in iowa
starting to book shows again in ames and 2009 gonna do it in des moines!

also loved justin timberlake - mr. timberlake, kanye west - 808s and heartbreak, cassie - everything, the rub - brooklyn radio podcasts, dj eleven - i heart soul, ayres - drugs vol 1 and 2, justice - DANCE, santogold - the whole LP, seriously hot summer record.

kurtis
Represent!

Re: top movies/records of the year

Post by kurtis » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:13 pm

blank dogs is boring as shit. no

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:29 pm

10. Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Dig!!! Lazarus, Dig!!!
http://www.mediafire.com/?o2m0ne3ywm1

Though it's not very probable, I hope I can be as awesome as Nick Cave when I'm 51, because he has got it going on in a big and bad way. The 14th studio album from the Bad Seeds is a scorcher, not just when it's rocking, but when it's slow and brooding too. They continue to explore mournful depths with viola, organ and other methods of sadness, always with songs nothing short of riveting. Cave is the star of the show, starting the album off with the title track that features mostly spoken word imagining the life of Lazarus as a rock star. Cave's lyrics stay brilliant for the rest of the album, and they have the ability to creep you out but also win your heart.

9. Torche - Meanderthal
http://www.mediafire.com/?mm5mwfnwznx

Concentrating less on being disgustingly heavy, Torche has carved their own niche that they can really call their own with Meanderthal. The big riffs and thick rhythm section are still there, but Steve Brooks is full-on singing the whole way, and his guitar is doing some singing too with shining melodies that sometimes take on a friendlier, warmer tone. And just when you think they may have gone soft, they finish out the album with the dirgy title track, guaranteed to rupture speakers when cranked. I'd like to indulge myself and claim Rick and Jon, drummer and bassist, as friends of mine, and I'm so glad that everyone is going nuts over this album and that they are experiencing some success. They deserve it.

8. Young Widows - Old Wounds
http://www.mediafire.com/?cjb9ao3irr0

When people are writing you off as Jesus Lizard copycats, what do you do? If you're Young Widows, you take a few steps forward and crank out Old Wounds, a tightly constructed slew of noise as melody that doesn't quite sound like anyone. Any doubters of this band should be silenced with such unique rhythms and placement of instrumentation, and a neat idea that finds almost half the album being recorded live at select shows, with the resulting tracks then brought into the studio and finished out there. New drummer Jeremy McMonigle holds his own, and Evan Patterson's vocals are much more listenable now, especially since he gives it over to bassist Nick Thieneman more often. A great leap forward for a great band.

7. AC/DC - Black Ice
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng0yitmyozk

One of the greatest bands of all time released an album, so naturally it's gonna be on my top 10, right? Well, it wouldn't be on here if it wasn't solid, but since we're dealing with AC/DC here, it is exactly that. Some might say they're just re-writing the same song over and over again, but here's my argument for that: Let's say you stumble upon the perfect recipe for pizza. And it's the best pizza you or anyone else has ever tasted. Are you going to try it a different way next time? No! You're going to make that pizza the same way, every time. AC/DC's pizza is hot and fresh, with tight licks all over the place, and they see no reason to do it differently. And there are even new touches, like the ripping slide guitar on "Stormy May Day." Brian Johnson declares "I need rock'n'roll every day." So do I.

6. Teenage Bottlerocket - Warning Device
http://www.mediafire.com/?tteyykqiqmd

These guys don't just wear their influences on their sleeves. It's the only thing they wear. And even though they relentlessly rip off The Ramones and Screeching Weasel while barely trying to forge an identity, I am enamored with them. From the very listen, I felt transported back to 1998, when catchy punk rock ruled my life and I had a crush on every girl that spoke a single sentence to me. Anyone who has lived that, or maybe just anyone who loves a good pop hook, will play Warning Device over and over again. I am addicted to this album. Yes, it's essentially "Blitzkrieg Bop" played 13 times. It's a formula that Teenage Bottlerocket has perfected and just like AC/DC, they'll never find a reason to change it.

5. Off With Their Heads - From the Bottom
http://www.mediafire.com/?2dhhj0zhjqy

If there's one message Ryan Young is hammering on From the Bottom, it's that no matter how hard you try, you will fail. A great hopelessness is heaped on you here, but it's all bolstered by a rollicking barrage of bouncy pop-punk, with the punk turned up much higher than the pop. Young's hugely anthemic choruses are tailor-made for a roomful of people to poorly sing along with, celebrating the ugliness of living. And it's an ugliness that Young is committed to sharing. When he sings, "Until the day I die, I Fucking swear I'm gonna make your life as miserable as mine," he's not just blowing hot air. He means every word of it. The misery exhibitied in this album is genuine without being mopey, which means that while Young may hate himself, there could be some hope for him just yet.

4. The Gaslight Anthem - The '59 Sound
http://www.mediafire.com/?n3ejrzmewzz

I initially had some trouble with this one, because for all the Gaslight Anthem does right, they sure aren't creative. Many of these songs have similar chord progressions and structures, to the point where they had to know they were recycling ideas. But even with those failings, I couldn't help but fall in love with The '59 Sound. The obvious influence is Bruce Springsteen, and others have heard traces of Against Me and Alkaline Trio in there, but all I hear is authentic blue collar tunes. Not in the righteous Dropkick Murphys sense, but in the humble, good-natured, wishing-to-kiss-the-prettiest-girl sense. A real winner of an album that you should take a chance on.

3. These Arms Are Snakes - Tail Swallower and Dove
http://www.mediafire.com/?mirjimgi2j0

The best part of being into These Arms Are Snakes is the complete freedom from disappointment. It's not possible to be let down when the standard they've set for themselves is always to develop, never to stagnate. Tail Swallower and Dove, despite its awkward title, is a fully satisfying document of a band so confident in their abilities that they might not even be trying to create such blistered, tuneful post-hardcore. Whenever they get into a room, the songs probably just make themselves, like a flawless assembly line of rock that consistently gets better with age. If TAAS keeps going at this pace, they'll end up being international superstars, at least in my tiny world.

2. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
http://www.mediafire.com/?gyjyrkjiiuj

Any research into Bon Iver would normally trigger some leeriness for me, hearing about the feverish critical acclaim from outlets such as Pitchfork and eventual inclusion in an episode of Grey's Anatomy. And if you're the same way as me, please fight those doubts, because this album is nothing short of stunning. For Emma, Forever Ago was recorded in a cabin over a three-month period during a Wisconsin winter by Justin Vernon, who played all the instruments himself and did the recording with no one's help. Under the name Bon Iver, he has made an album that totally washes over you with tense acoustic arrangements and multi-tracked vocals, often falsetto and overdriven with reverb. The beauty and warmth emerging out of these songs is something so strong that I have a hard time putting it into words, so all I'll really say is this: If you like music, you will love Bon Iver.

1. Dillinger Four - C I V I L W A R
http://www.mediafire.com/?9vkkqbgby79

Six years of anticipation is not good for the soul. Dillinger Four last graced us with 2002's Situationist Comedy, and they took their sweet damn time coming out with the follow-up. Once they did, and I finally heard the finished product, I was just barely underwhelmed. The production was so slick, and nothing jumped out as memorable. But mere moments into the second try, I fell back in love with Dillinger Four. Proof that guys in their mid-30's can still write brilliant, gritty pop-punk, C I V I L W A R is brimming over the top with excitement, anger, regret, mourning, and any other sensation that being involved in punk rock for nearly twenty years will get you. D4 has always banked on their lyrics as what separates them from every other pop punk band, so they naturally have given us 13 more incisive diatribes against society, never once proclaiming righteousness or superiority. And the one time they decide to get happy, with "Gainesville," they end up writing an instant classic. I could honestly see some people not understanding why I love this album so much. I don't care. To me, it is as strong a statement as I've heard from any band in my whole life. It inspires me to stay young even as I age, because as long as there are emotions to be explored and guitars to be blasted, you can be there to take part and enjoy it all.

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:58 pm

no mention of meneguar brizz?
i gotta finish my list...
Tu vir nunc es, canis

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:18 pm

movies.. uh.. uh... Iron Man

records ... Om- live at Jerusalem
Knife World- (on roaratorio)

jason

Post by jason » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:26 pm

i should have put meneguar in there. i wasn't as confident about #5-10, but i love them all. meneguar was solid. was also thinking of several friends' bands that didn't make the list that i felt crap about this morning, but i wrote that in the middle of the night.

i've been finding great stuff online and from friends lists so it's by no means complete. sort of impressed with the film and music this year, it didn't seem like it was going to be a great year, but it was.

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:27 pm

you also left out the Black Market Fetus/ In Defense 7''
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

kylervk

Post by kylervk » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:36 pm

this is probably the 4th site ive seen elliots list on

jonnyROCKET

Post by jonnyROCKET » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:42 pm

Driver F - Chase The White Whale
House of Heroes - The End Is Not The End
Take It Back - Can't Fight Robots
The Gaslight Anthem - The '59 Sound
The Envy Corps - Dwell
The Riot Before - Fists Buried In Pockets
Less Than Jake - GNV FLA
The Myriad - With Arrows, With Poise
Showbread - Nervosa
Paint It Black - New Lexicon

EPs:
The Gaslight Anthem - Senor and the Queen
Deas Vail - White Lights
Hearts of Palm - The Bridge
Iron Chic - demo

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:10 pm

I'm not going to write reviews for these, you'll just have to trust that everything I like enough to put in a list is awesome by default.

Best records of this year (no particular order):

Plants & Animals - Parc Avenue
Department of Eagles - In Ear Park **My favorite, this year**
Hot Chip - Made in the Dark
Fujiya & Miyagi - Lightbulbs
Deerhunter - Microcastle
The Dodos - Visiter
Starfucker - Starfucker
Harlem - Free Drugs
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
No Age - Nouns

I have to say that the Spiritualized album mentioned above is straight doo-doo. Spiritualized are one of my all time favorites and are still worth seeing live, but it's been 10 years since the last good record... dude kind of lost it when the songs stopped sounding like epic bad trips and started sounding like gospel-tinged elevator music in a rehab center.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:34 pm

haha wowww dudes

we need to talk some stuff out but in the meantime

tj has some good stuff on his list id agree with

take the pocahaunted off for sure tho brother

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:39 pm

Captain Caveman wrote:haha wowww dudes

we need to talk some stuff out but in the meantime

tj has some good stuff on his list id agree with

take the pocahaunted off for sure tho brother
Honestly, fuck off. No one here calls you out on your shitty, shitty taste in music and worthless opinion on everything, so just play nice and we'll all get along.

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:12 am

dude, elliot, have you HEARD pocahaunted
Tu vir nunc es, canis

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:11 am

servo wrote:dude, elliot, have you HEARD pocahaunted
-Joe.

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:13 pm

My album picks:

1. Day without Dawn – Understanding consequences
2. Mars Volta – Bedlam in Goliath
3. NIN – The Slip
4. The Bronx - III
5. The Giraffes – Prime Motivator
6. United Nations – s/t
7. Portishead – Third
8. Ladle/Gush split – Hooker Sludge Blast Chamber
9. Me First and the Gimme Gimmes- Have Another Ball
10. Norma Jean – The Anti Mother

maxxwell
Always Touring

Post by maxxwell » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:29 pm

antimother...really man?
iON TOUR MOSSSSSST OF THE TIME - http://www.myspace.com/senderreceiver

ImageImage

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:25 pm

Trapped Under Ice/ Dirty Money split.
http://www.myspace.com/underdaice

GEMINIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

& I would like to add Trash Talk - Plagues.
So heavy, so angry, so good.
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

Walking Thunder

Post by Walking Thunder » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:02 am

Movies:

The Dark Knight

Burn After Reading

Uhhh. . . shit I don't know.

Albums:

A Silver Mt. Zion - 13 Blues for Thirteen Moons

Hands down my favorite release of the year. I'm still soar I missed them when they played at the Mews this past spring.

Black Market Fetus/In Defence - 7" Split

Two great bands, one great seven inch.

Honorable Mention:

Cross Examination - Menace II Sobriety

Too soon?

I can't think of any other '08 releases. I kind of lag by a couples years.
-John
Doomed to endure and prevail.

Shane

Post by Shane » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:52 am

Movies:
I thought Religulous was pretty good.

Music, in no particular order:
Followed By Ghosts - Dear Monsters, Be Patient
My favorite band right now. The emotions expressed throughout this album are intense and varied, making listening cathartic.

Shai Hulud - Misanthropy Pure
The new vocalist isn't Geert, but he does a good job. The lyrics are just as meaningful and issue-oriented as before. I saw this band twice and both times ruled.

Carry The Torch - Dead Weather
These guys came through Iowa and only like 8 people showed up. Their music is expressive and complex, with passion in every song.

Mooncake - Lagrange Points
I'm not going to explain this, because it's really tough to explain all that is going on within this album.

Derek Lambert - The Forest Floor
These songs are the type that make you want to sing along, and the guitar playing is really excellent. Plus, Derek has always been a nice guy to me.

Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I-IV
Definitely not what I expected to hear when I got this. I'm not normally a NIN fan, but these instrumental tracks are really good. Each track is markedly different than the previous, making each of the 36 interesting.

Have Heart - Songs To Scream At The Sun
This album was the first I had heard of Have Heart, so I wasn't disappointed with this album like everybody else who liked them before this. In retrospect, the lyrics pack the same punch as the The Things They Carry, and the music is fitting. If it's enjoyable to listen to, it doesn't matter to me that it's different than before.

This Will Destroy You/Lymbyc Systym - Field Studies
Lymbyc Systym infuses profound jazz influences into what I consider to be the formulaic post-rock sound, making their side of this split interesting and fresh. This Will Destroy You is a band which makes full use of dynamic range. Their usage of electronics and strings is captivating, and "Brutalism & The Worship Of The Machine" is the definition of contrast in terms of this kind of sound.

Not It - We Regret To Inform You That Your Music Is Dead
Fucking brutal.
Joey Chaos wrote:Shane's gonna find out the hard way.

Furious D

Post by Furious D » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:50 am

10. Trap Them - Seizures in Barren Praise
Just got this album, and I'm loving it. These guys are moving up the ranks quickly, and for good reason, they know how to make some good tunes.

9. Fucked Up - Chemistry of Common Life
Goooood shit. I don't know, can't think of stuff to write. Can't wait to see these guys in Feb (got sick last time they came and it sucked!)

8. Conor Oberst - s/t
I don't even care, I like most of the Bright Eyes albums, and I liked this thing too. This one is a little more folk/country sounding, but I dig it.

7. Mouth of the Architect - Quietly
So fucking heavy, but with some sweet melodies intertwined with the brutality. I love the way this album sounds when its really loud. Its got perfect production and the songs are really damn good.

6. Tyborn Jig - Ten Paces to the Buffalo West
Not just saying this because these guys are my friends, I have actually listened to this album a ton since I got it, and have enjoyed it endlessly. These guys know how to tear some shit apart. Love watching them live, and love this album.

5. Titus Andronicus - Airing of Grievances
I missed seeing these guys twice, and then I heard this album and wished I hadn't. Pretty ferocious, but also poppy, punk-influenced indie rock. Hope to hear more from these guys in the future.

4. Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks - Real Emotional Trash
As a long-time Malkmus fan, I was pretty pumped about this, and it did not disappoint. The dude has still got it.

3. Saviours - Into Abaddon
I just discovered these guys this year, and was blown away. Got to see them live, and appreciated them even more. Can't get enough of this riffage.

2. Clouds - We are Above You
I love the way that this band transcends different styles and just seems to make whatever comes naturally and whatever they want. This album is just really fun, has some pretty catchy parts, and also rips pretty hard at times.

1. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
Yes, it was very, very hyped. But very, very excellent. This is just great music. If you haven't heard it, you should.

Maybe I'll do some movies later on. Don't feel like thinking about it right now.
....just kidding.

Furious D

Post by Furious D » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:07 am

Movies!!
Too lazy for descriptions right now...

10. Slumdog Millionaire
9. Step Brothers
8. The Visitor
7. Paranoid Park
6. Encounters at the End of the World
5. Milk
4. Choke
3. Synechdoche, NY
2. Religulous
1. Man on Wire
Last edited by Furious D on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....just kidding.

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:39 am

Derek, you're the man. We love you.

Wanna see Clouds with These Arms Are Snakes Feb 25th at the Picador??

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:22 pm

1. Oasis "Dig Out Your Soul"

Other than that everything sucked, just like last year and probably the year before that.

Furious D

Post by Furious D » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:29 pm

elliot wrote: Wanna see Clouds with These Arms Are Snakes Feb 25th at the Picador??
Oh yes I do.
....just kidding.

teedotjaydot

Post by teedotjaydot » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:52 pm

Jason; the Spirit? #1? SERIOUSLY!?

went to that movie last night and i thought it was so bad that i walked out within the first 20-25 minutes.

shockingly bad imho

best films:
Synechdoche, NY (quite possibly the best movie i've ever seen)
the Curious of Benjamin Button
Persepolis
foot fist way
pineapple express
hamlet 2
there are more, there are always more

rex;

young widows - old wounds

clouds - we are above you

pyramids - pyramids

devin townsend - ziltoid the omniscient

scott h biram - graveyard shift

enablers - tundra

helms alee - night terror

fatal flying guilloteens - quantum fucking

the tanks - keep breaking down (i think i listened to this album on a continuous loop longer than any album since i first got black sabbath "we sold our souls..." when i was 14)

the giraffes - prime motivator
i need a shower, a shave and maybe a song with a melody

teedotjaydot

Post by teedotjaydot » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:53 pm

sorry thread, tried to post from my phone for the first time.

shit got real.
Last edited by teedotjaydot on Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teedotjaydot

also, i forgot some shit.

like for albums,

Harvey Milk - Life...the Best Game in Town. this album straight ruined me when i first heard it and it still does.
Last edited by teedotjaydot on Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teedotjaydot

and films:

Man on Wire.

it's been a long time since i've seen a documentary that was actually inspiring.
truly a great film.
Last edited by teedotjaydot on Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teedotjaydot

and more music

Cynic - Traced in Air.

mind melting.

Oxbow - 12 Galaxies
odd yet totally endearing.

Black Elk - Always a Six, Never a Nine
Portland based AmRep style noise rockers come back with refreshingly harsher sound than their first record.

and re: the Spirit.

i honestly don't know that i'll be able to revisit that movie, even on DVD.
there were many many things that bugged the living shit outta me right from the get go, and all those things just kept coming on stronger as the movie "progressed". that's the other thing, Mr. Miller really needs to learn how to tell a story. Granted, i didn't stick it out, but the narrative (or lack thereof) was so disjointed and horribly paced that it felt like i was watching the cutting room floor footage strung together.

maybe i just needed something to hate on after loving everything else i saw this year.
Last edited by teedotjaydot on Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jonnyROCKET

Post by jonnyROCKET » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:57 pm

teedotjaydot wrote:Jason; the Spirit? #1? SERIOUSLY!?

went to that movie last night and i thought it was so bad that i walked out within the first 20-25 minutes.

shockingly bad imho
Funny, I did the same for The Foot Fist Way.