More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

DaVo

Re: This is why Des Moines fucking sucks:

Post by DaVo » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:57 pm

Jazzcop wrote:
robdigi wrote: Also, panhandlers in a city can easily make enough money in one day to afford a prepaid cell phone.

Register just had an article on this last week...apparently the panhandlers who reguraly frequent the merle hay exit make about $10-20 an hour on most days (working in 4 hour shifts).
This is why I have the rule that either I give them food or require them to give me a service. If you say you need money for food, I'll buy you a sandwich, otherwise you are giving me directions, washing my car windows, changing a tire or something.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:05 pm

I only give money to entertaining panhandlers. They need to freestyle rap or do a jig or something if they want my cash.

I read a similar article about panhandlers in Denver, they can easily make upwards of $50 an hour.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:19 pm

Varg wrote:
Jazzcop wrote:
robdigi wrote: Also, panhandlers in a city can easily make enough money in one day to afford a prepaid cell phone.

Register just had an article on this last week...apparently the panhandlers who reguraly frequent the merle hay exit make about $10-20 an hour on most days (working in 4 hour shifts).

lol, I believe it. My taxation teacher told us about a guy in New York who played the subways everyday. Just took a guitar down with a little amp and mic- left his case open for money. This guy lived in the suburbs and drove a BMW- and had two kids in college. He was making over $80,000 a year (all from subway performance) He neglected to pay any sort of income tax on it (for around 10 years), the IRS found out and nailed him for somewhere around $100k......dude paid it off in cash in one payment.
that story seems highly suspect.

Furious D

Post by Furious D » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:35 pm

robdigi wrote:I only give money to entertaining panhandlers. They need to freestyle rap or do a jig or something if they want my cash.

When I was in Chicago, there was a dude playing a hilarious TV theme song medley on a saxaphone, and it was amazing.
....just kidding.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:00 pm

Subway panhandlers are the worst. Fortunately not something we have to deal with on a regular basis in Des Moines.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:26 pm

DaVo wrote:This is why I have the rule that either I give them food or require them to give me a service. If you say you need money for food, I'll buy you a sandwich, otherwise you are giving me directions, washing my car windows, changing a tire or something.
The only panhandler I've gave cash to was one in Berkeley who had a sign that said, "Why lie, I want money for beer". I gave him a little money and he went straight to the store and walked out with an ice cold quart of Old Milwaukee. It made me feel warm inside.

I have given panhandlers weed and beer before. They were quite appreciative I must say.
I poop on Petland!

Joey Chaos
Destroy!

Post by Joey Chaos » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:04 pm

inx515xhell wrote:
Varg wrote:

lol, I believe it. My taxation teacher told us about a guy in New York who played the subways everyday. Just took a guitar down with a little amp and mic- left his case open for money. This guy lived in the suburbs and drove a BMW- and had two kids in college. He was making over $80,000 a year (all from subway performance) He neglected to pay any sort of income tax on it (for around 10 years), the IRS found out and nailed him for somewhere around $100k......dude paid it off in cash in one payment.
that story seems highly suspect.

I believe it. I remember seeing a guy doing this just down the road from the Port Authority about three years ago and the guy obviously had 3-400 bucks in his case. That's A LOT of money to make in one day.

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:30 pm

El Rhino wrote:
Big Fat Retard wrote: These guys are off your payroll. They don't live in the shelters that are funded by your tax money. They don't collect food stamps or any of that other stuff. They make their own way and buy their own food and beer. If they aren't bothering anyone why is it good for the city to run them off?

I bet they go to Broadlawns.
ilikehorses wrote:thiand before you start in with the "it's my taxes" argument, these people obviously weren't using tax dollars by being in a shelter, they were doing the opposite: doing for themselves.

Obviously. I bet they go to Broadlawns.

i'm sure that broadlawns is raping your paycheck, if that is true, then thank you ryan for paying for my x-rays, ct scans, colonoscopies, and medication.

are you saying that they should be denied health care just because they don't have a home?
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:34 pm

robdigi wrote:I only give money to entertaining panhandlers. They need to freestyle rap or do a jig or something if they want my cash.

I read a similar article about panhandlers in Denver, they can easily make upwards of $50 an hour.

reminds me of the simpsons episode where homer panhandles and makes a lot of money and the real bums are pissed at him for taking all their business. The simpsons have an episode for any situation.
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:25 am

jjjsXe wrote:
i'm sure that broadlawns is raping your paycheck, if that is true, then thank you ryan for paying for my x-rays, ct scans, colonoscopies, and medication.

They take a certain percentage out of my property taxes to pay for Broadlawns. I forgot what the percentage is, but I believe it costs me a couple hundred dollars a year if I remember right. Then of course everyone else has this expense as well and has to make up for it somehow, usually by higher costs. In other words, you owe me and the rest of the hard working tax payers of Polk County big time.

are you saying that they should be denied health care just because they don't have a home?
Huh? While you're busy draining our resources through government programs, you might as well throw an adult education class in reading comprehension or some shit on the heap. I don't see how you got that from "Obviously" and "I bet they go to Broadlawns". This is the thanks I get from you after helping to foot the bill for your medical care? Bullshit.

Smoking Guns

Post by Smoking Guns » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:27 pm

the subway panhandlers in korea are awesome. a lot of them will try and sell really shitty trinkets "for charity" and put on disguises so they look like they've got gross medical problems.

anyone who dresses up and acts like a lepper is OKAY WITH ME!

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:13 pm

Smoking Guns wrote:the subway panhandlers in korea are awesome. a lot of them will try and sell really shitty trinkets "for charity" and put on disguises so they look like they've got gross medical problems.

anyone who dresses up and acts like a lepper is OKAY WITH ME!
In Buenos Aires the injuns from the countryside will get on the subway and place trinkets on everyone's knee. Usually something stupid like a sweater fuzz shaver, plastic flashlight, etc. Everyone gets a minute or so to look over the item and then he goes around and collects them back up and see if anyone wants to buy them. They also do this when you're dining at one of the city's many wonderful sidewalk cafe/restaurants. One time on the subway some dude had comprehensive map books of the city and outlaying area, people actually thought that was cool and compared to a sweater fuzz shaver, it is.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:43 pm

homelessness is a complex problem and cannot be dealt with by using some cure-all universal solution. strictly using the term "homeless" to describe these individuals(as the media likes to do) makes it difficult for people to remember that these are human beings, each unique with their own separate problems contributing to their economic and social status.

some folks on the street obviously have addictions, disorders and other ailments--perhaps with little or no family to help take care of them--while others simply choose to live that lifestyle.

the real problem to all of this is that while we are forced to pay for food, water, shelter--where every piece of land is owned by someone--living outside the exchange economy is very difficult. to be honest, the logical extension of the model in which our society is run would be to make it illegal to be homeless. no job, no home? off to jail! right?
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:00 am

@nonymous wrote:make it illegal to be homeless. no job, no home? off to jail! right?
I know a few homeless dudes who wait until about Novemember and go commit some petty crime that will get them about 90 days in jail. They stay warm, get free grub, read some good books and dry out enough to be in good shape for 9 months of heavy drinking when they get out in March. If you don't want to work, this ain't a bad plan.
I poop on Petland!

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:57 pm

LIKE A LEPER!