More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Crumpty Williams
Spatula Spam

Annihilation Time - Tales of the Ancient Age

Post by Crumpty Williams » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:53 pm

Just got this in the mail. It fucking rules. Buy it, turds.
i fucking rule.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Re: Annihilation Time - Tales of the Ancient Age

Post by Hank Fist » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:59 am

I'm too punk for mail.

Crumpty Williams
Spatula Spam

Post by Crumpty Williams » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:39 pm

Dudes. EFFING WEAK. This band is fucking amazing, and they have risen to new heights of luscious, thin lizzy-meets-black flag glory with this album. Not to mention their t-shirts just keep getting gnarlier... a la:

I thought there might be a shred of coolness left or lurking somewhere within the ranks of this board, but i guess i was wrong. Weiners! The lot of ya!
i fucking rule.

Walking Thunder

Post by Walking Thunder » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:13 pm

So are you going to upload this album or what?
-John
Doomed to endure and prevail.

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:04 pm

Pratt, this album is a 7 at best. Total step back as far as production and songwriting go. I'm kinda disappointed.

Crumpty Williams
Spatula Spam

Post by Crumpty Williams » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:53 pm

mmmm... i dunno. I feel you, but you have to ask yourself: in what direction could they really develop musically after the last album? I mean, last time they hit the punk rock aspect nail on the head. it was like pure punk madness but just beginning to dive into that realm of riff-drenched psychadelia, you know? So on this album, they took that guitar work and pushed it to the next level... i mean i think its really the only thing they could do, and they did it pretty damn well.

I was slightly apprehensive at first too, but it just keeps growing on me... I mean you really aren't going to get that kind of riffage with that kind of attitude in one package anywhere else....

As for the production... well i think the guitar tones are pretty sick... vocals might be a little low in the mix, but I think they did a good job of slightly increasing the quality of the sound without losing the feel.

Its not the same as Annihilation Time II, which was simply an instant classic, but still 20x better than a lot of the shit being passed off as punk rock out there these days..... These guys are the undisputed kings of their own sub-genre, and its a good one.
i fucking rule.

Josh

Post by Josh » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:34 pm

I totally sweat this band and feel they can do no wrong, but have to agree with Elliot that the album was a slight dissapointment. There are definitely a few standout tracks and then some that are just so-so. I like the vocals being deeper in the mix as Jimmy isnt that great of a singer, and Graham totally shreds at guitar. This band is for sure better than 98% of that garbage that gets passed as punk rock and hardcore these days.

Ive been trying to get these long hairs back to Iowa for awhile now. One of my favorite shows ever were these dudes, MLIW, Old Scratch Revival Singers, and Formaldehyde Junkies at the FSU garage in Cedar Falls. Fucking wild.

Oh ya check out Grahams and Noel's now defunct crossover band Holier Than Thou. They come from the same vein as early RKL, COC, Suicidal, Accused, etc. etc. Totally killer sound and totally killer live show.

Crumpty Williams
Spatula Spam

Post by Crumpty Williams » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:26 pm

yep. i'm still talking about this band, this album, in this thread. :lol:
I totally sweat this band and feel they can do no wrong, but have to agree with Elliot that the album was a slight dissapointment. There are definitely a few standout tracks and then some that are just so-so. I like the vocals being deeper in the mix as Jimmy isnt that great of a singer, and Graham totally shreds at guitar. This band is for sure better than 98% of that garbage that gets passed as punk rock and hardcore these days.
yeah i agree that some of the tracks are a bit lame... but i feel like the killer really makes up for the filler. and im digging their extended riffy endings more and more... i mean they're just on. and actually the smoother production i think makes it easier to listen to over and over... it keeps growing on me and im still finding myself unable to take it out of my CD player.

and yeah grahm totally shreds but i believe they also added another guitarist (who apparently also is just totally sick) for this album.
Ive been trying to get these long hairs back to Iowa for awhile now. One of my favorite shows ever were these dudes, MLIW, Old Scratch Revival Singers, and Formaldehyde Junkies at the FSU garage in Cedar Falls. Fucking wild.
yeah i wish i would've gone. I too have been trying to get them back to Iowa, to no avail...
Oh ya check out Grahams and Noel's now defunct crossover band Holier Than Thou. They come from the same vein as early RKL, COC, Suicidal, Accused, etc. etc. Totally killer sound and totally killer live show.
i'll have to check it out.

p.s. minus josh and elliott, the rest of y'all are still total weiners. If you guys would get your heads out of your asses and start supporting pretty much the raddest band around these days, we might be able get them to come back for a gnarly show!
i fucking rule.