Beaver

Re: 620 house?

Post by Beaver » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:58 pm

These dudes are fagz. Nuff said.

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:59 pm

if we get a crew together to do that im in as long as its understood that none of us have any intention of paying for the show
Tu vir nunc es, canis

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:14 pm

Yeah right, Shad and Fat Tony will goon all you fagz if you want to act up at the 620 House.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:53 pm

Shane wrote:
DaVo wrote:
servo wrote:i would assume everyones on the same page as me when it comes to the fact that i do not want to be a part of any scene these kids are
Like I posted earlier and then one of the moderators changed my post. Working together to create a better scene would be very un-Des Moines like.
The thing is, though, most people will agree that blending hardcore and scenester pop would end poorly for everyone involved, and that our scene would in no way improve. Also, they obviously don't want to mix scenes, so why should anyone here be at fault for agreeing?
Elitist US against them bullshit. Some of the best shows I've ever been to were mixed shows with everything from Hardcore to metal to ska to rockabille to Rock Steady. Better promotion + wider draw = better turn out. The side effect is that both scenes will draw fans from the other. This is the same bullshit that took shows that were drawing 150 to 200 to a bunch of sub-scene shows that were lucky to draw 10 people.

It's funny hwo a scene that talks so much about Unity would rather jerk off with the same 20 guys then go out into the big world and interact with others. I think you are all worried that you are going to start digging this whole pop scene and your friends will find out and take away your hardcore members only card.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:08 pm

well, i guess i'd rather be in the same scene as those kids than davo...

but on a serious note i am all for mixing genres. i remember booking ska bands will screamo and having hundreds of kids come out. and it worked because no one there really sucked. they were all there because they loved music. pretty much everyone there was in some way kinda punk rock (not used to denote anything about music but a general diy/outsider attitude)

these kids however... theres way more at work here than them just being fans of music. there is nothing punk rock about what theyre doing. this stuff is not outsider culture in any way. in-stores at hot topic dudes. and thusly i want nothing to do with them. i'm a part of the "scene" im a part of because mainstream culture doesnt work for me. and i dont want to interact with said mainstream culture.

i cant explain these kids' mindset and motives because im not them, but i', guessing they're probably kinda fucked.
Tu vir nunc es, canis

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:22 pm

DaVo wrote:Elitist US against them bullshit. Some of the best shows I've ever been to were mixed shows with everything from Hardcore to metal to ska to rockabille to Rock Steady. Better promotion + wider draw = better turn out. The side effect is that both scenes will draw fans from the other. This is the same bullshit that took shows that were drawing 150 to 200 to a bunch of sub-scene shows that were lucky to draw 10 people.

It's funny hwo a scene that talks so much about Unity would rather jerk off with the same 20 guys then go out into the big world and interact with others. I think you are all worried that you are going to start digging this whole pop scene and your friends will find out and take away your hardcore members only card.
then maybe you shouldve booked shows at house of bricks then...

moltar

Post by moltar » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:50 pm

Hey, 620 house is a group of hard working guys that are coming up in the music scene and no one should talk shit on them.

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:52 pm

attn this thread
i am about to make a crap in my toilet
Tu vir nunc es, canis

moltar

Post by moltar » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:16 pm

SMMS vs. TSSF

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:24 pm

OMG

i totally thought the hot topic thing said chilli fest... and it didnt strike me as weird that keep and confess would be serving chilli in hot topic

but now that i see that it just says chill fest my mind is fucking boggled
Tu vir nunc es, canis

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:49 pm

DaVo wrote:cockage fee

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:50 pm

kylervk wrote:
Thom wrote:jason hashman is in the "house band"

Kyler and I (maybe a few others) have experience with these kids.

lolz
yeah

i wont say anything on the internet
u scared?

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:53 pm

Thom wrote:
tylerjames515 wrote: It says on the 620 house myspace they won't book local bands either
except of course their own.

we should all seriously go to a show there, just too see what it all about. May be good for a chuckle.
agreed. i'd be down. id like to take a look at their security and maybe suggest some improvement. BALLS DEEP SECURITY is always looking for new accounts.

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:57 pm

DaVo wrote:
Shane wrote:
DaVo wrote:
Like I posted earlier and then one of the moderators changed my post. Working together to create a better scene would be very un-Des Moines like.
The thing is, though, most people will agree that blending hardcore and scenester pop would end poorly for everyone involved, and that our scene would in no way improve. Also, they obviously don't want to mix scenes, so why should anyone here be at fault for agreeing?
Elitist US against them bullshit. Some of the best shows I've ever been to were mixed shows with everything from Hardcore to metal to ska to rockabille to Rock Steady. Better promotion + wider draw = better turn out. The side effect is that both scenes will draw fans from the other. This is the same bullshit that took shows that were drawing 150 to 200 to a bunch of sub-scene shows that were lucky to draw 10 people.

nigga please. no one here talks about unity, no one here has a problem with diversified shows and youre the last person to talk about elitist bullshit. besides all that, youre not involved with the scene at all. not only that you refuse to be so your opinion is null and void.

shut up.

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:59 pm

Even though I don't like that particular kind of music the place seems to cater to, at least they're putting on shows for people who like that kind of crap. I don't get the no local band thing. Sounds dumb to me.

Johnny Reeferseed & The High Rollers might have to schmooze our way in there and turn it into the 420 house.
I poop on Petland!

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:03 pm

by the way, i didnt realize officer mike moody was in the band Legal Limit.

backed.

i'd be down for playing with them.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:27 pm

servo wrote:well, i guess i'd rather be in the same scene as those kids than davo...

but on a serious note i am all for mixing genres. i remember booking ska bands will screamo and having hundreds of kids come out. and it worked because no one there really sucked. they were all there because they loved music. pretty much everyone there was in some way kinda punk rock (not used to denote anything about music but a general diy/outsider attitude)

these kids however... theres way more at work here than them just being fans of music. there is nothing punk rock about what theyre doing. this stuff is not outsider culture in any way. in-stores at hot topic dudes. and thusly i want nothing to do with them. i'm a part of the "scene" im a part of because mainstream culture doesnt work for me. and i dont want to interact with said mainstream culture.

i cant explain these kids' mindset and motives because im not them, but i', guessing they're probably kinda fucked.
I don't know these kids either but I hate to break the news to you but Hot topic is not the gauge of what is mainstream. Without in fact getting to know these people it's hard to say what they are about.

That said I understand your view point. Punk used to kind of be this uniting force cause you could throw a lot of different styles on a bill and people would support it. The smearing of the differences is what always attracted me to the early scene. It was such a fucking mess of all kinds of really different music.

The thing is that if these bands really do have fans, it seems it would be a lot of fun to either steal them or just shove your music down their thoats and really bum them out.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:39 pm

joseph wrote:
DaVo wrote:Elitist US against them bullshit. Some of the best shows I've ever been to were mixed shows with everything from Hardcore to metal to ska to rockabille to Rock Steady. Better promotion + wider draw = better turn out. The side effect is that both scenes will draw fans from the other. This is the same bullshit that took shows that were drawing 150 to 200 to a bunch of sub-scene shows that were lucky to draw 10 people.

Do we really need to go down this path?

The reasons that I never worked with HOB have been beat to death. It has more to do with business and ethics then anything. I have my own personal issues with the people involved with that venue. However if you look at my track record, I did business, supported and helped when I could most of the bands and band members that are the backbone of the HOB scene and I fucking hate metal. So it wasn't an issue of musical style or what kind of clothes they wore.

So if you think that you can't do business with these people or have some ethical problem with them then I can see why you wouldn't want to work with them. However if you are writing it off cause of the clothes they wear and the music style, that is full on bullshit.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:43 pm

Bullet Tooth wrote:
DaVo wrote:cockage fee
Yeah it's a joke. One of the GM of DuBay's typed up a menu that in fact said "Cockage Fee" instead of Corkage Fee and no one noticed or said anything about it for 2 weeks.

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:45 pm

that is lame that they wont let local bands play. part of the fun of shows for me is: knowing that one of my bands gets to play with the touring band, getting to thrash to just do it and other bands we all love, know that your scene and friends support you when they rock out as equally if not more to my band as they do the touring band and also, giving the touring band a chance to see what bands in des moines are like and that we are all amazing, then the opportunity of show trades.
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:54 pm

[quote="Bullet Tooth]
nigga please. no one here talks about unity, no one here has a problem with diversified shows and youre the last person to talk about elitist bullshit. besides all that, youre not involved with the scene at all. not only that you refuse to be so your opinion is null and void.

shut up.[/quote]
Due to my work load and family responsiblities, I don't have a lot of freetime or money to blow on shit, yes I said shit, that I'm not interested in. If there is a show that interests me, I'll be there but otherwise I'd rather watch cable. If that makes me less of a "scene" member, I'd rather be an outsider with good taste then a sheep with no taste.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:07 pm

jjjsXe wrote:that is lame that they wont let local bands play. part of the fun of shows for me is: knowing that one of my bands gets to play with the touring band, getting to thrash to just do it and other bands we all love, know that your scene and friends support you when they rock out as equally if not more to my band as they do the touring band and also, giving the touring band a chance to see what bands in des moines are like and that we are all amazing, then the opportunity of show trades.
Yeah I'm still trying to get my head around what the fuck this means,

"locals, please work on building relationships with other local venues to help out other bands in need. it would be cool"

Not working with local bands is like shooting themselves in the foot. It will greatly effect what kind of draw they have. It maybe a way of suckering in these touring bands here to play thier parties.

kylervk

Post by kylervk » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:02 pm

Bullet Tooth wrote:u scared?
i aint never scared! and to prove it, i will fight you.

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:18 pm

kylervk wrote:
Bullet Tooth wrote:u scared?
i aint never scared! and to prove it, i will fight you.
ok. dont pull a varg.

kylervk

Post by kylervk » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:51 am

Bullet Tooth wrote:ok. dont pull a varg.

what you talkin bout, brah?

kylervk

Post by kylervk » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:55 am

p.s. *hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss*

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:43 am

DaVo wrote:
joseph wrote:

Do we really need to go down this path?

The reasons that I never worked with HOB have been beat to death. It has more to do with business and ethics then anything. I have my own personal issues with the people involved with that venue. However if you look at my track record, I did business, supported and helped when I could most of the bands and band members that are the backbone of the HOB scene and I fucking hate metal. So it wasn't an issue of musical style or what kind of clothes they wore.

So if you think that you can't do business with these people or have some ethical problem with them then I can see why you wouldn't want to work with them. However if you are writing it off cause of the clothes they wear and the music style, that is full on bullshit.
my comment was more sarcasm at your unity sermon. ive been to more shows than you so i know more.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:01 pm

joseph wrote:my comment was more sarcasm at your unity sermon. ive been to more shows than you so i know more.
quoted for truth.

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:28 pm

As stupid as it sounds, they really seem to be saying they will not book local bands on any of their shows. Unless, of course, you're their friends in Same Sick Feeling or Here's My Chance. Then you're cool. That defies all logic I know of, and actually prevents anything resembling a "scene" being built there.

620 House is trying to do something for the local scene, but what they're doing is stupid. They're booking unknown emo-pop-rock bands with either no locals or the same two locals that have limited draw. Hardly anyone goes to these shows. How does that help anyone?

KY Jelly Belly

Post by KY Jelly Belly » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:29 pm

DaVo wrote: I hate to break the news to you but Hot topic is not the gauge of what is mainstream.
Umm...then why are there stores in every fucking mall in America?
servo wrote:OMG i totally thought the hot topic thing said chilli fest... and it didnt strike me as weird that keep and confess would be serving chilli in hot topic

but now that i see that it just says chill fest my mind is fucking boggled
515 crew CHILI FEST? :D