More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

@nonymous

NASCAR

Post by @nonymous » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:36 pm

so, this video is being played in theaters before movies. wtf?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHzSBEVbXtM

most ridiculous thing ever. makes "Bawitdaba" seem highbrow.
Last edited by @nonymous on Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Re: Kid Rock, Dale Earnhardt Jr. and the Army National Guard

Post by El Rhino » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:55 pm

This video has already been posted here, slick.

@nonymous

NASCAR

Post by @nonymous » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:59 pm

el rhino wrote:This video has already been posted here, slick.
is this true? my bad. this thread will now be devoted to discussing NASCAR.

my brother is into it. he also has a truck with flames on it.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Re: NASCAR

Post by El Rhino » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:12 pm

@nonymous wrote:
el rhino wrote:This video has already been posted here, slick.
is this true? my bad. this thread will now be devoted to discussing NASCAR.

my brother is into it. he also has a truck with flames on it.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3160

No one really had anything to say. It's a National Guard recruiting commercial with footage of the car they sponsor and Kid Rock. I guess it doesn't bring out the same kind of emotion around here as it does with you.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:30 pm

El Rhino wrote:No one really had anything to say. It's a National Guard recruiting commercial with footage of the car they sponsor and Kid Rock. I guess it doesn't bring out the same kind of emotion around here as it does with you.
downplay the content all you like, it doesn't change the fact that this shit video is wasting 2 1/2 min of viewers lives when they go to see a movie.

'Cause freedom ain't so free
When you breathe red, white and blue.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:03 pm

@nonymous wrote: downplay the content all you like, it doesn't change the fact that this shit video is wasting 2 1/2 min of viewers lives when they go to see a movie.

'Cause freedom ain't so free
When you breathe red, white and blue.

It's a fucking commercial. I know it doesn't ask the viewer "WHO ARE THE REAL TERRORISTS?" as much as you would like, but when you foot the bill to have a commercial played before a movie, guess what's going to happen? They will play the commercial. If you do not want to see this commercial (or others), show up 10-15 minutes late for a movie.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:08 pm

el rhino wrote:It's a fucking commercial. I know it doesn't ask the viewer "WHO ARE THE REAL TERRORISTS?" as much as you would like, but when you foot the bill to have a commercial played before a movie, guess what's going to happen? They will play the commercial. If you do not want to see this commercial (or others), show up 10-15 minutes late for a movie.
ha. why is this getting you so worked up? i posted, what i thought, was a funny video that has been absurdly placed in theaters and expected little response. you must love america more than i thought, or you're a huge Kid Rock fan.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:14 pm

Oh no, why is this getting YOU so worked up? It's a commercial, for fuck's sake.

vegan ss

Post by vegan ss » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:58 pm

In all seriousness, when I watched this I lost my will to live. Zach had to talk me out of hanging myself in the garage.
When I think of all the harm the Bible has done, I despair of ever writing anything to equal it- Oscar Wilde

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:31 am

Why does the army have such bad taste in music?
The American government must love nu metal.
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:05 am

storkus wrote:
The fact that commercials like this even exist in this world implies that the consuming public is so fucking stupid that we are willing to accept the most outrageously trite and pathetically manipulative platitudes as patriotic gestures.
Well guess what, it works. The US Army needs every swingin' dick they can get and lots of resources are put into recruiting/marketing efforts. They know what they're doing. Race cars, Kid Rock and patriotic songs/images might not make your dick move but it does for a large segment of the male population between 17-35 they're going after. Again, it's just a commercial with the purpose of getting the target audience to think about the Army Nat'l Guard. Silly, certainly, but I don't see getting worked up over it.

We also have to wonder what kind of movie @dam was seeing that the Army's marketing folks feel the audience would be inspired by a commercial like this. Did they make a sequel to "Larry The Cable Guy: Health Inspector" or something?

You were in the armed forces. How can you sit through this? They're mocking you and reducing your service to such stupid lows as to compare it to a car race. I would be fucking furious if I was you, and you're defending it. So bizarre.

I was in the armed forces, albeit a different gun club than the one who put out this commercial. The branch I was in puts out sweet commercials with stuff like fighting dragons, surfacing from swamps with guns, crisp uniforms & sharp drill movements, kicking ass, etc. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSVf-nnk ... re=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N054vBjj ... re=related If the Army wants to look like a bunch of rednecks, that's their business, not mine.

As far as mockery and reducing my service, trust me, it happens a lot and from a lot of different sources. From your camp there's the sentiments that I wasn't as smart as everyone else who opted to avoid certain restrictions on personal freedoms and the possibility of death/injury and had no clue that someday I could have been put in harm's way in a war like the one in Iraq. Because I wasn't saavy enough to understand the magnitude of the commitment I made, I am a victim of the military industrial complex and thus deserving of a little bit of pity. Just a confused soul, not a warrior.

On the other side there's the belief that it's all Toby Keith, Lee Greenwood, God, Mom & Apple Pie, 9/11, wantin' to kill one of them a-rabs, France hatin' and pure disdain for the mainstream media (except FOX News, of course). Then there's also the guys who ask you "didja kill anyone?" with a big grin, like we're talking about a movie or a fucking video game.

Then there's the "could've beens". The people who will tell you about how they were going to join up, go Recon/SEAL/Ranger/Spec Ops, kill a bunch of commies and be a real bad-ass but had a last minute change of heart and decided that working at Best Buy for the rest of their life would be a better route. Then there's the ones who are shocked to find out that there are people in the military who aren't square-jawed robots and there's the fucking gun nuts who think that just because you were in the military you want to hear their theories on why the US military should use the AK-47 and have in depth discussions on the caliber of ammunition and think that somehow their years of video game, movie, shooting, paintball and reading experience somehow puts them on the same plane.

I could go on. So yeah, it comes from a lot of different sources. If the Army wants to make a stupid commercial, just add it to the heap.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:18 am

tylerjames515 wrote:Why does the army have such bad taste in music?

Because if they used music made by skinny guys with large earlobe extensions, our enemies would laugh at us.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:54 am

BTW, how low has the standard gotten as passable into the Army? Didn't you used to have to have at least a GED to get in? I know they are excepting dropouts now, and i'm guessing there's a higher rate of flat foots and people with 7 fingers.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:50 pm

I think it used to be you had to have an actual diploma or 16 college credits in virtually all circumstances. Now the Army will take GEDs and might take dropouts. That's just the Army though, the other branches (as far as I know) haven't dropped their standards. I believe the Army got a little more lax on their tattoo policy as well.

Furious D

Post by Furious D » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:43 pm

El Rhino wrote: We also have to wonder what kind of movie @dam was seeing that the Army's marketing folks feel the audience would be inspired by a commercial like this. Did they make a sequel to "Larry The Cable Guy: Health Inspector" or something?
Can't speak to what movie he was seeing, but I saw this before the movie Choke, as well as giant cardboard cutouts (featuring Mr. Rock, Dale Jr., and a "Warrior") proudly displayed at both Century and Cobblestone theaters. I'm guessing they are showing it before all movies at both of these, and many more, locations.

Made me sick to my stomach as well, it just blows my mind that people actually buy into this kind of propaganda.
....just kidding.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:56 pm

Furious D wrote:
El Rhino wrote: We also have to wonder what kind of movie @dam was seeing that the Army's marketing folks feel the audience would be inspired by a commercial like this. Did they make a sequel to "Larry The Cable Guy: Health Inspector" or something?
Can't speak to what movie he was seeing, but I saw this before the movie Choke, as well as giant cardboard cutouts (featuring Mr. Rock, Dale Jr., and a "Warrior") proudly displayed at both Century and Cobblestone theaters. I'm guessing they are showing it before all movies at both of these, and many more, locations.

Made me sick to my stomach as well, it just blows my mind that people actually buy into this kind of propaganda.
oh snap!!!i just got done reading choke not to long ago, where is it playing? is it any good???

Furious D

Post by Furious D » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:58 pm

TooManyHumyns wrote: oh snap!!!i just got done reading choke not to long ago, where is it playing? is it any good???
It WAS playing at Century (Jordan Creek) but I don't think it is there anymore. I thought it was really good. Having also read the book, I thought certain things could have been done better, but overall it was highly enjoyable.
....just kidding.

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:23 am

El Rhino wrote:
tylerjames515 wrote:Why does the army have such bad taste in music?

Because if they used music made by skinny guys with large earlobe extensions, our enemies would laugh at us.
Oh wait, because jewelry MAKES music bad, amirite?

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:11 am

Furious D wrote:[

Nick, this is kind of an example of what I was talking about in my previous posts. Just as it's insulting that some people's military service can be dwindled down to Kid Rock, race cars and Mountain Dew, it's also insulting that to join the military means you've fallen for propaganda and that certain people imply that they're above you somehow because they didn't. I'm not sure if that's exactly what your brother means, but those sentiments are out there....

tylerjames515 wrote: Oh wait, because jewelry MAKES music bad, amirite?
Jewelry doesn't make music, silly goose. People wearing jewelry do.

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:22 am

El Rhino wrote:

Nick, this is kind of an example of what I was talking about in my previous posts. Just as it's insulting that some people's military service can be dwindled down to Kid Rock, race cars and Mountain Dew, it's also insulting that to join the military means you've fallen for propaganda and that certain people imply that they're above you somehow because they didn't. I'm not sure if that's exactly what your brother means, but those sentiments are out there....

tylerjames515 wrote: Oh wait, because jewelry MAKES music bad, amirite?
Jewelry doesn't make music, silly goose. People wearing jewelry do.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:27 am

Glad to see you finally came around to my point of view.

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:36 am

its amazing to me what some people worry about.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:11 am

El Rhino wrote:I think it used to be you had to have an actual diploma or 16 college credits in virtually all circumstances. Now the Army will take GEDs and might take dropouts. That's just the Army though, the other branches (as far as I know) haven't dropped their standards. I believe the Army got a little more lax on their tattoo policy as well.
Post more facts/numbers/stats/whatever like this please.
I am highly interested for some reason.

-Joe.

Furious D

Post by Furious D » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:05 pm

tylerjames515 wrote:
El Rhino wrote:

Absolutely not trying to imply that. I understand there are many valid reasons to join the military, and I'm sure that you fall into that category. I would just like to see an ad campaign that outlines those valid reasons, rather than one implying that some dumb teenage Nascar fans should sign up so they can live out their Call of Duty missions in real life. It's when people see things like this that they lump all military people into the redneck, race car-loving group. But luckily, I haven't bought into this trash, and can understand that isn't the reality.
....just kidding.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:08 pm

um, what about that comment you made about shooting guns while racing on gravel roads, the other day?

Furious D

Post by Furious D » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:46 pm

Hank Fist wrote:um, what about that comment you made about shooting guns while racing on gravel roads, the other day?
Let's do it.
....just kidding.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:15 pm

my brother was/is in the national guard. went to iraq, all that jive. he's unemployed and lives in the shithole we grew up in.
called me a worthless pothead and said i would never amount to anything the other day. i lol'd.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:47 pm

your brother lives in a duplex next to my moms house...its Nevada/Montanas moms old duplex...no joke, why would you name your kids nevada and montana...crazy.....not like james is a whole lot better...

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:40 pm

storkus wrote:
Bullet Tooth wrote:its amazing to me what some people worry about.
BOO! TERRORISM!

SCARED YA.
not sure what this meant.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:31 pm

Joe wrote:
El Rhino wrote:I think it used to be you had to have an actual diploma or 16 college credits in virtually all circumstances. Now the Army will take GEDs and might take dropouts. That's just the Army though, the other branches (as far as I know) haven't dropped their standards. I believe the Army got a little more lax on their tattoo policy as well.
Post more facts/numbers/stats/whatever like this please.
I am highly interested for some reason.

-Joe.

I don't know facts/numbers/stats. I know the Army has loosened up their entrance requirements so they now accept GEDs, certain people with felonies and loosened some tattoo regulations. I believe the Army is the only branch who has lowered their standards though.