More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Potter

Sweet Bee Infoshop

Post by Potter » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:35 am

Yo,

I heard this place got shut down. Whats up with that. Seemed like it was only open a couple months.

Just curious, I haven't heard anything about it for awhile and then i hear it goes under.

TooManyHumyns

Re: Sweet Bee Infoshop

Post by TooManyHumyns » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:26 pm

lack of funding + lack of interest + lack of support = no info shop

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:44 pm

truth. that happens when you dont do anything with a place.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:54 pm

bullet tooth wrote:truth. that happens when you dont do anything with a place.
remember when you came to all of those potlucks and get-togethers at the infoshop last winter, where you donated all of that time and money? thanks again, man....

the truth is, most of us who got the initial infoshop space up and running never anticipated it lasting much longer than the Caucus of the Future(which was what the infoshop's primary focus was on)--it was merely a space that we could work and organize out of until our event.

your remarks BT have little to do with the failure of this project. in reality, it's very difficult to maintain a commercial space with something that is inherently non-comercial.

a project like this needs to be met with consistent funding(grants, etc).
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:09 pm

@nonymous wrote:
bullet tooth wrote:truth. that happens when you dont do anything with a place.
remember when you came to all of those potlucks and get-togethers at the infoshop last winter, where you donated all of that time and money? thanks again, man....

the truth is, most of us who got the initial infoshop space up and running never anticipated it lasting much longer than the Caucus of the Future(which was what the infoshop's primary focus was on)--it was merely a space that we could work and organize out of until our event.

your remarks BT have little to do with the failure of this project. in reality, it's very difficult to maintain a commercial space with something that is inherently non-comercial.

a project like this needs to be met with consistent funding(grants, etc).
remember when you let people know about those potlucks and get togethers? i just ignored all that advertising.

my remarks are a decent part of it.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:24 pm

bullet tooth wrote:remember when you let people know about those potlucks and get togethers? i just ignored all that advertising.

we promoted those--you at least read it on this site. in any case, you never made an actual attempt to help out.

that is moot however, because relying on donations every month from people to pay rent is a terrible idea. especially when you haven't built a community to receive the project to begin with(e.g. Kansas City has a great infoshop that runs on donations and book sales because they've worked for years to build a sustainable community to support it--this kind of groundwork has not been achieved in Des Moines).

there is plenty of positive work that needs to be done which doesn't require an infoshop anyway and i think you'll see more of that taking off in des moines.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:34 pm

@nonymous wrote:
bullet tooth wrote:remember when you let people know about those potlucks and get togethers? i just ignored all that advertising.

we promoted those--you at least read it on this site. in any case, you never made an actual attempt to help out.

that is moot however, because relying on donations every month from people to pay rent is a terrible idea. especially when you haven't built a community to receive the project to begin with(e.g. Kansas City has a great infoshop that runs on donations and book sales because they've worked for years to build a sustainable community to support it--this kind of groundwork has not been achieved in Des Moines).

there is plenty of positive work that needs to be done which doesn't require an infoshop anyway and i think you'll see more of that taking off in des moines.
i dont remember you advertising more than a couple. if thats all there was, thats what i mean about nothing. as far as an attempt, i PM'd you more than once offering my services and you never took me up on them.

of course you cant sustain a place thru donations. thats why you everything shouldnt be free.

this will be my 3rd attempt to offer my services. let me know.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:37 pm

BT wrote:this will be my 3rd attempt to offer my services. let me know.
you can start by showing up next saturday to the Really Really Free Market. bring things you want to give away if you like, or come and find something for yourself.

there's no better community-builder than participating in a Gift Economy. more info will be posted on this, or check toomanyhumyn's latest post.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:23 am

Smoking Guns wrote:yo. who's got my paintings on their walls?

luv
-scott

Did you make the "KFC" one?

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:27 am

@nonymous wrote: you can start by showing up next saturday to the Really Really Free Market. bring things you want to give away if you like, or come and find something for yourself.

Smoking Guns

Post by Smoking Guns » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:37 pm

El Rhino wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:yo. who's got my paintings on their walls?

luv
-scott

Did you make the "KFC" one?

no. mine had no logos or anything.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:39 pm

smoking guns wrote:no. mine had no logos or anything.
forgive him, scott. el rhino and bullet tooth are still under the impression that the infoshop was the warehouse we had two shows in--they never saw your art.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:07 pm

@nonymous wrote:
forgive him, scott. el rhino and bullet tooth are still under the impression that the infoshop was the warehouse we had two shows in--they never saw your art.

I actually came out once to check out the "infoshop" once or twice, but you were closed. I guess the revolution has to break for lunch every now and then. Sorry if I didn't come down and spend enough time circle jerking over Crimethinc pamphlets for your liking.