More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Walking Thunder

Don't Do It. . . Army

Post by Walking Thunder » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:17 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/09/09/ar ... topstories

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The rate of suicides among-active duty soldiers is on pace to surpass both last year's numbers and the rate of suicide in the general U.S. population for the first time since the Vietnam war, according to U.S. Army officials.

As of August, 62 Army soldiers have committed suicide, and 31 cases of possible suicide remain under investigation, according to Army statistics. Last year, the Army recorded 115 suicides among its ranks, which was also higher than the previous year.

Army officials said that if the trend continues this year, it will pass the nation's suicide rate of 19.5 people per 100,000, a 2005 figure considered the most recent by the government.

The rise can be attributed to the increased pace of combat operations, the number of deployments and financial and family troubles connected with deployments, Army officials said.

"Army leaders are fully aware that repeated deployments have led to increased distress and anxiety for both soldiers and their families," Secretary of the Army Pete Geren said. "This stress on the force is validated by recent studies of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans reporting symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder or major depression."

The statistics were released Tuesday at a news conference announcing the completion of a study by mental health experts who the Veterans Administration asked to review its suicide prevention work and track numbers.

On Tuesday, the VA also announced findings from a study showing that suicides hit an all-time high in 2006 among younger U.S. military veterans who served in Iraq and Afghanistan.

According to the VA, about 46 of 100,000 males between the ages of 18 and 29 utilizing VA services committed suicide in 2006, compared with about 27 the year before.

For female veterans in the same age group, about three in 100,000 killed themselves in 2006, compared with about eight per 100,000 in 2005.

The suicide rate for males is also higher than for the general United States population in 2005. The number for the general population is about 20 people per 100,000, according to the VA numbers. Numbers were not available for the 2006 general male population suicides.

Veterans Secretary James Peake said the department would try to reduce the number of suicides by using recommendations by the mental health expert panel.

"The report of this blue-ribbon panel, and other efforts under way, will ensure VA mobilizes its full resources to care for our most vulnerable veterans," Peake said in a statement.

Among veterans who left the military in 2001, 141 killed themselves between 2002 and 2005, according to VA statistics in the report. In 2006, 113 more veterans from the Iraq and Afghanistan wars committed suicide.

The Veterans Administration has said the rise in suicides can be directly connected to the increase in veterans coming from both wars since 2001.

Representatives from the Department of Defense, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention and the National Institutes of Health made the following recommendations:

• Design a study that will identify suicide risk among veterans of different conflicts, ages, genders, military branches and other factors.

• Improve the VA's screening for suicide among veterans with depression or post-traumatic stress disorder.

• Foster a better understanding of suitable medications for depression, PTSD and suicidal behavior
-John
Doomed to endure and prevail.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Re: Don't Do It. . . Army

Post by Hank Fist » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:47 pm

whatever happened to that guy that knocked up that chick, then joined the army...was it bellowing beast?

Walking Thunder

Post by Walking Thunder » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:00 pm

Yeah that's him. Maybe he unfortunately followed the trend.
-John
Doomed to endure and prevail.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:06 pm

I saw Bellowing Beast a few months ago. Seemed to be ok.

Anyways, the article compares the suicide rate to the "general population", but it doesn't compare it to males aged say, 21-30 in the general public. I'm sure that would level it out a bit.

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:32 pm

El Rhino wrote:I saw Bellowing Beast a few months ago. Seemed to be ok.

Anyways, the article compares the suicide rate to the "general population", but it doesn't compare it to males aged say, 21-30 in the general public. I'm sure that would level it out a bit.
from what we've been forced to read over and over in nursing school, there are much higher suicide rates among older individuals, especially the geriatric population. but with the older individuals, a lot of it is not chalked up to suicide.
Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:27 pm

my brother's battle buddy killed himself two weeks ago.

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:15 pm

teen suicide, don't do it
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:46 pm

if you're the white trash in the apartment across from my house, please do it.

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:57 pm

jjjsXe wrote:teen suicide, do it
fxd

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:08 pm

Big Fun rules.

Potter

Post by Potter » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:12 am

I saw bellowing beast at the haunted basement a couple months ago. He was wearing a black and white pin striped american eagle button up that was too tight.