More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Re: Hank II

Post by El Rhino » Thu May 22, 2008 10:50 pm

Water the fuck out of sod. It's very hard to overwater it. It needs to get a lot of water to soak the ground underneath it so the roots grow from the sod and into the ground. Watering at night is sometimes discouraged because it could lead to mold and diseases. Not extremely likely or anything, but there's a chance. Watering during the middle of the day isn't quite as efficient, but I've never heard that it will help burn the grass. I'm open to hear how this happens though. Morning is cool. Also, I'd hold off for a while before you mow it of course.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Fri May 23, 2008 9:27 am

you know, people always say that the water droplets form little magnifying glasses and burn the leaves, i've kind of heeded this, but more with large leafed plants/dicots. It seems like you should water the crap out of sod. But someone growing sod on clay in a newer development may have some good insight.

WebSkunk

Post by WebSkunk » Fri May 23, 2008 10:48 am

honestly, i never have seen any such burning of the blades from watering in sun, but i've heard it. i didn't have much of a choice with my sod - we had it put down in August when it was over 90 degrees everyday, on crappy soil, and it didn't rain for at least 2 weeks after we started - so we were pretty much watering 24 hours a day. sucked - but it rooted pretty well aside from a couple spots. but we pulled up sod from where we made flower beds and planted bushes so those scraps filled in the bad spots.

We're starting a garden this year - we'll see how it goes. Our soil is really awful and there's hardly any shade anywhere in our yard.
huh?

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri May 23, 2008 11:13 am

WebSkunk wrote:We're starting a garden this year - we'll see how it goes. Our soil is really awful and there's hardly any shade anywhere in our yard.
i just dug up my second garden hoping to get it planted tomorrow. my number one garden is sprouting radishes already.
i wish i got more sun in the yard. i only get about a consistent 3-4 hours a day over any given spot, last year my food was overproductive tho...
what are you going to plant?

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Fri May 23, 2008 12:29 pm

All my stuff is starting to sprout-carrots, beans, corn, and a greens mix of seed. The cauliflower, broccoli, jalapeno's, banana peppers, and tomato plants are all looking good. We tried the technique of combining seed together, such as corn and beans, to save space, using the taller stuff to provide shade for the greens etc. We'll see how it turns out.

and eggplant.

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri May 23, 2008 12:49 pm

Hank Fist wrote:All my stuff is starting to sprout-carrots, beans, corn, and a greens mix of seed. The cauliflower, broccoli, jalapeno's, banana peppers, and tomato plants are all looking good. We tried the technique of combining seed together, such as corn and beans, to save space, using the taller stuff to provide shade for the greens etc. We'll see how it turns out.

and eggplant.
dang. when did you plant?
end of february i started my tomato, scotch bonnet, bell pepper, eggplant and bee balm seeds.
last sunday i planted radishes, carrots, beets, onions and a lettuce mix.
tomorrow, depending on weather, i will plant watermelon, acorn, zucchini and ill throw some corn in just because.

-dang i forgot cucumber AND green beans
Last edited by joseph on Fri May 23, 2008 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

little foot

Post by little foot » Fri May 23, 2008 12:59 pm

between me and my partner in crime, i'm not sure what all is in the ground. one garden has a bunch of potatoes and will get some pumpkins in when i get off my ass, another one has lots of onions, tomatoes, and peppers. the herb garden is beyond me, i know there is a pile of garlic and various onions, along with basil and cilantro, but there are things i've never seen before. there is spinach hidden around the property and i think some blackberry bushes started. this year i am sticking to the basics, shit i know i will eat daily. all that with the eggs and beans and me and the young'uns will be eating happily for a while. all my corn and peppers got taken by deer last year. i had to put down my dog a couple of weeks ago, so i might be sleeping outside with a bb gun this year.
every time you use your cell phone around my kids i am gonna blow smoke in your face. cancer is cancer.

WebSkunk

Post by WebSkunk » Fri May 23, 2008 1:10 pm

I've got the herbs on the back deck. A lot of basil and a few kinds of it, cilantro, mint, rosemary, sage.
The garden has a couple kinds of tomatoes, jalapenos, hot banana peppers, beans, carrots, zucchini, and i think we're going to try some small watermelons.

I figured i'd till and fertilize the soil real good, mix in a lot of fresh soil and build it up a little, then see what grows. Plant a little of everything and we'll do what grows best next year.
huh?

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri May 23, 2008 1:19 pm

my herbs are in the kitchen i have the damndest time with oregano.

last year i didnt plant 2 bell pepper seedlings in the garden and just put them in QT quart cups, i get these little 2 inch bell peppers and they are really good but ive only had a few. thinking about putting one of them in a pot on the deck and keeping the other one inside to see how long itll live. from what i can find out peppers will turn into trees/bushes as long as they get nutrients and decent weather conditions.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Fri May 23, 2008 2:05 pm

Did you say you still have the plant from last year growing in the QT cup? I am curious if they croak after fruiting.
Bonsai Pepper Tree!
I want to try a bonsai maple or something that is sprouting randomly in the yard.

joseph

Post by joseph » Fri May 23, 2008 2:15 pm

THEY LIVE
in november i got 1 pepper off each plant then half the leaves fell off.
in january i got 2 off 1 and 1 off the other and the stalks turned brown and woody about 2 inches above the "ground"

l have 3 peppers going now that are half green(they start out chocolate then green then orangeish then red).

but bonsai yes. definitely. i planted these from seed in january of 2007!

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:18 pm

Tomato Wilt.

All my tomato plants look like shit. I guess the wet early summer/spring allowed some moisture loving critters to destroy the roots and in turn the plants as they begin to fruit. Pissed. I still have enough to get a fresh one for my sandwiches and stuff, but no salsa or canning this year.

Beans looked good, peppers ok, corn was some kind of heritage crap that is worthless. Broccolli and cauliflower and eggplant looked fabulous. No word from the carrots, i should do a little digging. The greens were good but short lived.
I'm really disappointed about the tomatos. :(

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:28 pm

i got my gardens taken away from me. no tomatoes no radishes no carrots no eggplant no green beans no watermelon no zucchini no acorn squash no beets. wah wah woe is me.

but i still have pots of basil, bee balm, 6 scotch bonnet plants, a bell pepper and my midget peppers still(one has 6 peppers blooming). i also have an eggplant plant that i planted at the same time as the midget peppers, it just wont die.

little foot

Post by little foot » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:34 pm

got tons of tomatoes, green and cayenne peps, beans, and potatoes. the onions just wont stop and the pumpkins are looking good, as are the sweet potatoes. down to six chickens, i think some hawks got em.
every time you use your cell phone around my kids i am gonna blow smoke in your face. cancer is cancer.

little foot

Post by little foot » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:36 pm

does anyone know anythng about growing rice? i wonder if i couldn't grow some in the marshy areas around a stream in the north field.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:02 pm

little foot wrote:does anyone know anythng about growing rice? i wonder if i couldn't grow some in the marshy areas around a stream in the north field.
chemicals in them there streams? You just need to flood an area, have some rice shoots going, and slap them in the mud...at least that's what they do in all the samurai movies.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:09 pm

little foot wrote:got tons of tomatoes, green and cayenne peps, beans, and potatoes. the onions just wont stop and the pumpkins are looking good, as are the sweet potatoes. down to six chickens, i think some hawks got em.
that's interesting. everyone i know has the tomato wilt. Maybe you have better drainage? I think i'll add more sand.

little foot

Post by little foot » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:00 pm

the stream is probably chemically, i am bordered by corn fields. the garden that is doing good is in a new spot, barely tilled it, just killed the grass with coverage, so the drainage is still good. one sunflower bloomed yesterday. lately been collecting wild nettles and making tea. it's a near cure for asthma according to one of the members of moustaches. he hasn't been able to breath for 25 years, started drinking this stuff, and is now in the best shape of his life. some late planted spinach just started shooting some leaves.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:23 pm

Dear Hank Fist:

Can I come over and mow your lawn? I know they say "never mow another man's lawn" but I mean that literally and not figuratively like "can I come over and put my hand in your cookie jar?". I want to see what a reel mower is like. Just let me know when you need it and we'll arrange a time.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:29 pm

Sure, or you can borrow it, my neighbor's friend just gave me one. Apparently they don't work with thin wispy grasses.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:53 am

So do you have two now?

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:08 pm

little foot wrote:
WebSkunk wrote:I think I went to a show at Connie's or Spooner's back in the day with Red Dreaded Step Child playing. Probably with Nuclear Kicks or Grubby Ernie or something. I don't remember liking them but it was a long time ago. I'll say I think they sucked.

And the sod, don't let it get soggy but keep it well watered. If it's really sunny/hot, it's better to water evenings, night, morning. The water on the grass during the day will just help it burn and the roots won't get very deep. I've had luck before with it taking like how you did it, but sometimes it won't. Depends on the sod, soil, and water.
i think i remember that show, i think shilo church played. it was a 'ska-core sat.' and yeah, we were pretty bad. drummer sucked, vocalist was a prima donna, and me and the bass player were mortal enemies. but hey, it was junior high and early high school and i was having the time of my life.

i'm pretty sure i have the flyer for that show. i was also there. it was at spooners in ankeny
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:28 pm

El Rhino wrote:So do you have two now?
nah, i was just borrowing the neighbors every week, this new one has even sharper blades, which is nice. Id like to learn how to sharpen these things.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:30 pm

Smoking Guns wrote:post some picks of the band!
who are you talking to?

Smoking Guns

Post by Smoking Guns » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:18 pm

talkin bout red dreaded step child. seems like i woulda also been at that show. don't remember them, though. curious.

little foot

Post by little foot » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:45 am

Smoking Guns wrote:talkin bout red dreaded step child. seems like i woulda also been at that show. don't remember them, though. curious.
i'll see if my bro or someone has some pics to scan. we might have played first or second. not very memorable. kind of early new metaly stuff.
jjjsXe wrote: i'm pretty sure i have the flyer for that show. i was also there. it was at spooners in ankeny
post that flyer.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:59 pm

Micah, can I come over and borrow your reel mower this weekend?

teedotjaydot

Post by teedotjaydot » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:40 pm

Hank Fist wrote:
El Rhino wrote:So do you have two now?
nah, i was just borrowing the neighbors every week, this new one has even sharper blades, which is nice. Id like to learn how to sharpen these things.
i use my Dremel to sharpen the blades on my reel mower, if you need it done get in touch.
i need a shower, a shave and maybe a song with a melody

KY Jelly Belly

Post by KY Jelly Belly » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:00 pm

NEW Hank Jr. News
http://news.aol.com/political-machine/2 ... -s-senate/

Question is: Who'd vote for him?