More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Gizmo

Want to be on an Iowa music compilation?

Post by Gizmo » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:20 pm

Hey Everyone,

I'm putting together an Iowa music compilation to distribute on my band's upcoming tour around the country. If you would like to be included on it please email an mp3 or link to:

dubtownrecords@gmail.com

There is no cost associated with this and its my small way of being an ambassador of music for this great state.

Email me with any questions and please submit within the next week as I'm hoping to begin production next week. Thanks for making Iowa sound so good.

Will Schmitt
http://www.FunksG.com

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Re: Want to be on an Iowa music compilation?

Post by Joe » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:43 pm

A dude JUST did this.

http://www.myspace.com/thisisiowa

-Joe.

kylervk

Post by kylervk » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:18 pm

i just submitted a track to this

and i think that the "this is iowa comp." is just an online deal
...or did he ever release hard copies? if so, id like to know. i want one.

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:07 am

The this is iowa comp is by this matt dude from cedar falls. I think he burns them and takes them to local shows up there...I could be wrong though but I think that's what he said he was going to do. Maybe he'll be at the take control show on the 16th w/ some.
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

andrewd

Post by andrewd » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:28 am

He is releasing hard copies. Hes got about 4 volumes worth of Iowa music. They will be distributed throughout Iowa, and we are bringing them on tour with us.

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:54 am

Gizmo wrote:Hey Everyone,

I'm putting together an Iowa music compilation to distribute on my band's upcoming tour around the country. If you would like to be included on it please email an mp3 or link to:

dubtownrecords@gmail.com

There is no cost associated with this and its my small way of being an ambassador of music for this great state.

Email me with any questions and please submit within the next week as I'm hoping to begin production next week. Thanks for making Iowa sound so good.

Will Schmitt
http://www.FunksG.com

NO COST ASSOCIATED WITH IT? Wow, you make that sound like a GOOD deal. Nobody should be submitting tracks to this guy.

And since the majority of you ARE morons and probably will, I suggest you copyright your material first- do the "poor mans copyright" so it'll only cost you $0.42 roughly. Copyright wouldn't be my no.1 concern here, but you are really fucking dumb to willfully hand over your material for a guaranteed $0 and an internet promise of being on a compilation.

This guy could be totally legit and well-intentioned, but that still isn't enough that it should make you want to fork your shit over.
It's funny that so many people on this board bitch about "rights" and how the government tramples all over you.....but when it comes to COPYRIGHTS and other rights you have as musicians, you WILLFULLY give them up- no questions asked.

I'm sure I'll have to elaborate on this cause all we're gonna hear is: "YUR STUPID, LISTEN TO METALZ- JUST CAWZ YOU WNET TO SCHOOL DOESNT MEAN U KNOW MORE TH4N ME"
---success in social interaction lies in making them afraid to see you disapprove

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:34 am

Even though..i guess you raise some valid points.....

WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU, MAN?

andrewd

Post by andrewd » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:36 am

Matt from Waterloo is legit.

myspace.com/thisisiowa

Let him know if you want something on it. He's not making any money on this quite clearly. Just a way to get different bands to different people. Track listings will be included.

aeon grey

Post by aeon grey » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:45 am

sounds like a good idea to me...

teedotjaydot

Post by teedotjaydot » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:36 pm

hey Varg, if by "poor man's copyright" you're referring to the mail-to-self plan, it's not something that will hold up if you try to use it to protect yourself.

there are ways, but the mail one ain't shit.
i need a shower, a shave and maybe a song with a melody

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:34 pm

It depends...sometimes it can hold up, but it's by no means the best, or even a good option. If its all you can do, then do it. Most people at this level don't have the money (or are too lazy) to have it copyrighted.

I myself should've done it a few years back....I probably could've made a few bucks.
---success in social interaction lies in making them afraid to see you disapprove

Gizmo

Post by Gizmo » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:18 pm

I was just trying to be inclusive, anyone who has a problem with the idea doesn't have to be on it. lighten up varg, I'm sure theres nothing you've put out that someone would want to steal and use on a coke commercial.

Smoking Guns

Post by Smoking Guns » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:14 pm

some people enjoy sharing the things they are passionate about.

he's not selling the comps he's making. he's spending his time and money to make these, and not asking for anything in return.

also, copyright is automatic. it has been since at least 1989, but i think it might have been before that too (60s or 70s?). once you have "fixed" your song onto any medium (cassette, cd, digital file, etc.), you're automatically entitled to all copyrights of that song.

the only real reason to register for a copyright is if you want to be able to file for statutory damages in the event that someone infringes on your copyright.

metal robot

Post by metal robot » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:42 pm

Varg wrote:I myself should've done it a few years back....I probably could've made a few bucks.
yeah, hulkamania and degrassi would have made billions!

mattpulpfree

Post by mattpulpfree » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:46 pm

Finally I get on the 515 boards!
sorry about my lack of posting but I will do my best to update this board as much as I do on the cvhardcore board as well.

right now I have the whole playlist for volume I on the myspace.
http://www.myspace.com/thisisiowa

I also try to keep a blog updated frequently
http://www.thisisiowa.blogspot.com

Volume I, will be first handed out on July 24th more than likely...unless there is a show that I can make it to before than. I ordered my first spindle of 100 CD-Rs last week and they will be here tomorrow or Tuesday. I will be spending most of my days of this week working on getting this shit ready to hand out, I still have to order 200 more CD-Rs.
I would love to give out as many copies as possible, so hopefully I can continue to do this through August and give quite a few copies to bands, and make it to shows out of town as well to hand out.

If you want to be on this best way to get ahold of me is either through that myspace or on AIM - thisisiowamatt.

Volume II will be out mid August/ early September, I'm working on the playlist for that currently as well, so it's not to late at all.

Also, it's not just current bands. I'm doing ANY band that is from Iowa, dead or alive. So suggest things to me, keep in contact with me, feedback, anything you want really.

one more thing, I am not making ANY money of this AT ALL. I'm going to lose quite a bit of money doing this (roughly $100 per volume)! I'm doing this because I love the music I've grown up with in this scene and I think kids have started to lose interest/take it for granted. And I think this is not only a good way to get the music out to kids in the scene/our area but also to show other places what we have.

kylervk

Post by kylervk » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:16 am

i like how im in 4 of the bands on vol. 1

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:32 am

Smoking Guns wrote: he's not selling the comps he's making. he's spending his time and money to make these, and not asking for anything in return.

also, copyright is automatic. it has been since at least 1989, but i think it might have been before that too (60s or 70s?). once you have "fixed" your song onto any medium (cassette, cd, digital file, etc.), you're automatically entitled to all copyrights of that song.

the only real reason to register for a copyright is if you want to be able to file for statutory damages in the event that someone infringes on your copyright.
You obviously know next to dick about copyrights. Copyrights are not automatic (they are once they're tangible, which usually isn't far behind). Let's use your pulled-out-of-thin-air date of 1989- Let's say your band recorded something late that year on cassette tape. You do a couple shows, sell some of these home-made tapes or just give them away at some other bands show, and two months later break-up. About a year later Bon Jovi releases a single that magically sounds exactly like yours. It just so happens that an A&R guy for Universal (or whatever the fuck label their on) got one of these at a show where you were giving them out when he was there to see some other band. He hands it off to someone who gives it to a Production manager, and they ultimately decide to record it. It's your song.....how are you going to prove it? It's on a fucking tape you recorded in your basement. WOOOOPS.

Doesn't happen? Just did. There was a guy out here handing out copies of this gay song he made about fenway park, some jerkoff got a hold of one and Bon Jovi ended up recording this guys song. It's not BJ's fault...they probably have songs thrown at them all the time from different songwriters and the origin of this shit just gets lost along the way. But now they or the label, or both or whoever, is getting sued, BIG-TIME. But that's only because he's able to PROVE the date he created it.

So you can see, it doesn't matter IF this guy has the best intentions in the world- you should already have your shit copyrighted because it's easy to do. And how do you know nobody is making money off this? Some kid gets one at a show, takes it home and burns 200 copies of it, takes it around to local shows and sells them for $3. Well intentioned, but with nothing in writing- It's fucking stupid. "Well even if we were being paid for this, you couldn't stop that from happening". Yeah, but at least you've already received some sort of compensation for this. Is anyone gonna go after a kid for $600? Depends.....if this guy was PAYING you for these tracks, then yes, I'm sure he absolutely would. If he's not giving you a dime...and he's giving them away, then he's got nothing to lose.

-if you're on a label (depends on your contract, but usually) you're not entitled to the copyrights of that song. You may recall Prince appearing on t.v. with the word "SLAVE" written across his face. Yes, he was making a stink about this and there have been some big changes...research

-If you're a "hired gun" or work for hire, you have no rights, unless specifically stated otherwise. Starting in 2013 you're going to be reading A LOT about this, because of something that was passed in 1978....research

-"the only reason to file for a copyright is if someone infringes......"
Copyright is the most valuable asset to a musician. For higher-up musicians, and especially song-writers, it IS their source of income.
You have a copyright as soon as you make a tangible copy (something you can touch) like YOU said.....however, if its going to court, you're gonna need more than that, like I said.

The FIVE MAIN exclusive rights you're given with a copyright are:
1) Reproduce the work *cough
2)Distribute copies of the work *cough
3)Perform the work publicly
4)Make a derivative work
5) Display the work publicly (this doesn't apply to music so much- as it does to art)

Copyrights didn't exist until the '20s I believe (could've been turn of the century) which is why you'll find "classical" (broad) music so much cheaper than contemporary music. And it's important to note that a copyright doesn't exist forever. It lasts the duration of the lifetime of the creator + 70 years. (the family would be collecting the royalties thereafter in the +70 years)
OR if its work-for-hire- it's 95 years from the publication date or 120 years from the creation of the work. Then it becomes public domain.
Again, you'll probably be reading a lot more about this in 2013....

Copyright law is lengthy, you should have enough head-starts on shit now.

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:58 am

metal robot wrote:
Varg wrote:I myself should've done it a few years back....I probably could've made a few bucks.
yeah, hulkamania and degrassi would have made billions!

You're a fucking tool and a dipshit- which is probably one of the reasons you're still in the same spot you were four years ago. You don't know the details of my life except for the ones you were involved in years ago. For at least two years now I have completely ignored you on all fronts, which is why all of your references are dated. I've seen you do a complete 180 at this point.

I was in a band, one with Jake, we recorded a song (that we had to pay for) even though we were on an indie-label and they should have covered it. Said label took the song, put it on a compilation, and it was distributed through Hot Topic stores (and some others I think) I heard all over the country, but probably just the mid-west. I don't know the exact details. I think I might still have the article about it here with me, that I'm sure I will have to scan for proof of this.
Plus anytime a song gets played (like on the radio) somebody gets paid. And if its radio play, the Performing Artist gets paid (a mechanical royalty 9.1 cents) so anytime lazer plays a local artist, technically, they should be paying somebody. Most of the bands on local licks (like pale horse, only etc.) are on small indie labels who should handle that aspect for them. I'm sure they don't because MCR is a disgrace.

Plus I was told I was being deliberately ripped-off (from a copyrighted song) by some locals you were involved with one way or another. I can't recall whether or not the song was recorded or said band had disbanded before it happened.

All in all....it would've been chump change (a couple bucks just like I said) but it probably would've been worth it.

mattpulpfree

Post by mattpulpfree » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:15 am

if anyone was to burn copies of a FREE compilation and sell them for money, they deserve to get their ass kicked, and probably will eventually.

also, I understand how an artist would get upset about their song getting stolen and to some people money matters, but I don't think one song from each band is going to hurt them.
PLUS this is no different than myspace players or any other internet music players.
that shit could get ripped off just as easily as a compilation.
and as well, it wouldn't really be the compilations fault if a song got stolen...it's not the persons worry really, it's the bands and if they don't care...they don't care then.
let it be.
you're making to big of a deal out of this all.

and yeah kyler, haha you hooked me up good that one day, I had half the compilation done!

jonnyROCKET

Post by jonnyROCKET » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:23 am

matt, I'm excited for the new volumes

and I sent you a message on the space

mattpulpfree

Post by mattpulpfree » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:19 am

awesome, sent you one back

I'm going to also try to keep show fliers up to date on that myspace, so post them in a comment, or send them to me in an email. I'm going to do my best to lurk around for some on this board but I can't find all of them, and I'm sure not all of them will be posted on here.
so hook me up if I miss them/they don't show up on this board
I'll whore the shows in a bulletin, every 5 minutes of each day

lolz.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:39 am

Hey Varg,
No one wants to steal your shit.

Crumpty Williams
Spatula Spam

Post by Crumpty Williams » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:50 am

Varg, good job on the copyright research. All those things you said about the properties of a copyright are true. (want a cookie? lol).

However, the fact is that the creator of the work DOES automatically have the copyright to that work. You confused registering the copyright with actually being the copyright holder. If you created it, you own it. Registering it just makes it much easier to PROVE that you hold the copyright if a conflict arises. And yes, it is smart to do this; in some situations, a "not true" holder of the copyright will either profit from the work, unlawfully register the work, or both... and there are a number of ways that the "true" owner can get screwed.

The particular legal framework is very complicated (you got this part right too, Varg). ... Long story short: Definitely register if you can. If you can't it doesn't necesarilly mean all hope is lost but it COULD be if the "stealer" knows what they're doing and proof on your side of the fence is lacking, so be careful.

P.S. clearly Varg is still love deprived, as his anger levels and need to prove his intellect are still astronomically high. Help him out in the Love for Varg thread.
i fucking rule.

Smoking Guns

Post by Smoking Guns » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:07 pm

i know a good deal about copyright law. i didn't feel like writing a small book on it, cuz this wasn't about all the things like hired musicians or labels or how long a copyright lasts or any of that. however, it's not bad to know about it, so i guess it's fine that you decided to copy/paste this stuff so people could easily research the basics.

i pulled out the magic year of 1989, cuz if i remember right, that's the year that the USA officially joined with other countries on the berne convention.

obviously the best way to prove you own the copyright of something is to officially register it, but you DON'T HAVE TO. if you can prove the date it was created, like you said, that's just as good as registering it. UNLESS YOU WANT TO SUE FOR STATUTORY DAMAGES (and attorneys fees, i believe).

the end.

also... like i said before, some people like to share the things that they are passionate about.