More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

DaVo

Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Post by DaVo » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:19 am

Heard tonight that the Dublin is so far in the red that it is closing. Is there any truth to this? Make ye want to dance a jig and spend a night drinking the craythur.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

teedotjaydot

Re: Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Post by teedotjaydot » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:43 am

it makes sense.

with their unofficial Drake student only policy they pissed off a lot of potential customers.

Drake's out for the year.

While i have seen a couple of busy nights there since the end of term, it's usually a ghost town if they even bother to open anymore.
i need a shower, a shave and maybe a song with a melody

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:52 am

I don´t know, gents.... I would imagine that a bar with a Drake students only policy would have some sort of plan and would somehow account for the handful of months when school is out. I doubt they would be like`oh shit, we didn´t think about that´ Somehow I doubt they´re far in debt, because it sounds like during the school year that place gets a good crowd....and for good reason: to play beer pong with non-threatening Afro-Americans a la Darius Rucker.

edit...typing on a Spanish langauge keyboard. No mi gusta.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:12 pm

Oh they have opened up to us normal folk. The place though has either been a goast town or closed just about every time I went past it. Add to that they fact that they started doing all you can drink $5 special, seems they maybe struggling.

From what I heard last night is that they have put so much money into the place, they are way into the red with no hope of a profit. I'm guessing they have at last figured out that college kids have no money.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:04 pm

I thought people were saying that it was packed all the time... or maybe it just seems crowded to see more than ten people at a time in that building. i never really drive by it or anything because I no longer really have any business in that neighborhood.

regardless, i´m sure they´ll make their money in real estate if the place is really doing all that bad.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:52 pm

El Rhino wrote:I thought people were saying that it was packed all the time... or maybe it just seems crowded to see more than ten people at a time in that building. i never really drive by it or anything because I no longer really have any business in that neighborhood.

regardless, i´m sure they´ll make their money in real estate if the place is really doing all that bad.
Yeah it was packed but when you figure the average Drake Student will only spend about $10 to $15 on a night of drinking, you need to a lot of them to make a profit. It's like with DuBay's, all last summer everyone kept saying "when the students get back, it will be busy." but only about 10% of the income came from them. Townies are were the big money is and you don't have to recuit a new batch of them every 4 years. We had maybe 20 students that came in on a regular bases and all of them but 2 graduated and moved out of state.

The other thing is Jethro's opening closer to frat row seems to really have effected them. Sure they had the short bus but most of them got stuck walking home, so it lost some selling points. Toward the end of the school year they started the all you can drink nights which is usually a sign that things are coming to an end. If they had the business they wouldn't have had to do it.