More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

kurtis
Represent!

Re: Haunted Basement shutdown?

Post by kurtis » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:24 pm

Okay, this isn't the end of the world. Yeah it sucks cause that place was kinda neat. There will be another space, but who will start it?

not it.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:27 pm

agreed....not it, maybe in a year though...

creepykid

Post by creepykid » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:32 pm

WE WERE FLYING HIGH DUDE!!!

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:48 pm

TooManyHumyns wrote:is this the same sorta of discussion that went on when the fallout shelter got shut down? 1 place got shut down, my assumption is that if people care enough(which is a mixed bag) then a few houses will do random shows untill/if ever, a more steady 'diy' spot becomes available, that seems to be how it works around here...not too worried, i can't really participate much right now anyways... i see why everybody is so negative though, the 'scene' has change alot since i've gotten involved...i think for the worse, but maybe thats because i've been looking at it all differently the past few years... ...move to IC... if that solves the problem for you, then thats great, things will be fine here. if not now, then in a year or two... mews brings in plenty of decent shows, the shows nate has booked at the beechwood have been good, although i missed the last one...(granted they are not at a 'diy venue' but they get the job done, and people tend to go away happy)...focus more on show quality than show quality, and maybe it will build back up over time and people will become more influenced to move forward instead of wallow in the past...or give up.
I agree that places like The Mews and The Beechwood rule an do get the job done. But...they aren't as "accessible" to a lot of small, touring bands or people who want to book small, touring bands. I know The Mews and Ladd seem open to suggestions and will work with people on booking shows sometimes....BUT, they also take a cut of the door sales, you have to pay the sound guy and the door guy, etc. When you are trying to book small, touring bands...they aren't gonna draw enough people to shows to cover the costs of even attempting to get them a show at a place like The Mews. Most bands don't ask for or expect much money, but at least giving them enough to buy gas to get to their next tour date and a bite to eat is the norm. Unless the person who books it wants to pay out of their own pocket, places like The Mews aren't realistic for most small punk bands wanting to play Des Moines now.

I'm not sure how it works at The Beechwood, but I would venture to guess it is similar?

Point being...yeah..."bigger" punk bands will still play Des Moines, but, like Joe said, punk is essentially dead in Des Moines without a DIY space.

/pessimism

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:04 pm

first of all. you do not need to explain to me what a 'diy' venue you is...give me a break.

...plenty of smaller punk bands played marys, and have played the mews...and i tried the DMSC a while back...didnt really work out...but it was an attempt, and for some reason, i think it could work out in the future...although i honestly dont know why i think that with my expereinces there......granted, not as many punk bands will be able to play, which is a bummer, but if you're booking a tour, and your searching for venues in des moines, im sure the mews will turn up in your search...and if you are booking a tour, you are most likely doing so more than a month in advance, in which case, you can probably get yourself a date booked there,and im assuming the venue/or the band will be able to find one person in that town to help book it... yes them taking 15percent or whatever sucks, but if you are mostly concerned with playin, getting your music 'out there' and having fun ,then that is definately not an issue...and you still get money...and if they are really hardcore about it being an established DIY spot, them maybe IC will pick up that slack for a while, and that is ok...until somebodys in des moines can figure it out and get something going....dont get me wrong, im all for well run and organized diy venues, and prefer them and would support one to the best of my ability if i felt it worth my time and not just a junky establishment...but venues are not as evil as you are making them out to be...there was quite a gap between the last longer running diy spot and the HB, and marys/mews worked out just fine, as well as the few random basements and houses that took shows as well......i just dont see why somebody isnt willing to step up and offer a basement, to call the haunted basement, as a temporary replacement, so the name is still the there as something familiar, but at a new temporary location...just an idea i guess...if you are so concerned about the scene all the sudden now being dead, you are NOT trying to hard to try and fix it...or at least aid it in some way...whining wont get it done, which may be why its 'doomed'...cuz dsm is full of a bunch of whiney pussssaaays...
Last edited by TooManyHumyns on Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:09 pm

not to be optimistic or anything, or to be critical...
maybe starting fresh would be positive for des moines...now knowing what went well and what didn't fare so well with maintaining a diy spot could help make a better spot all together...pobodys nerfect.

kurtis
Represent!

Post by kurtis » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:12 pm

i remember booking shows at the mews and their cut of the door was under $10.

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:29 pm

kurtis has a basement
Tu vir nunc es, canis

zach krook

Post by zach krook » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:41 pm

Shane wrote:
zach krook wrote:none of us dislike you or anything, so i don't see what your deal is.
You and your friends act like assholes constantly. The only reason you come to shows is to get fucked up. I've never seen you donate to a show you weren't playing. You frequently do dumb shit that actually negatively affects people around you and when they get mad about it you act like they're the assholes, not you. This is NOT an isolated incident.
nah man, you just don't know how to party, i don't know if you know this, but we actually know the difference between getting drunk and breaking shit at nate's house, and getting drunk and breaking shit.

you're a baby, if my "crew" did anything to offend anybody else besides shane, we're way sorry.
Persona non grata

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:48 pm

Not to steal DSM thunder, but Ames Progressive is a reasonable ''DIY" space not too far from DSM. I have only been to a couple shows there, but they seem to be ok as long as people promote and it isn't in the middle of winter/break.

As long as DSM people are willing to drive up here, it is certainly closer than Iowa City with the same kinda vibes if that is what you are into. I'll be living here for a while and so will Mr. Pistols, so there is plenty of floor space to crash.

I know no one wants to drive to shows in the winter, but when the weather gets nice, it could be a good alternative. Chris will be living here all summer so he can probably hook up some shows. I have never booked a show at AP, but I can't imagine it would be too hard and they might welcome our business. The only thing is, it is a nice place and people have artwork on the walls, so those of you who feel like being assholes and breaking people's shit, get fucked.

Just throwing it out there. I know Joe has talked to me a bit about booking shows there, you other folks should too.
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

ginx86

Post by ginx86 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:02 pm

zach krook wrote:if my "crew" did anything to offend anybody else besides shane, we're way sorry.
I was going to offer to use our basement for some of the HB shows already booked but then the wife read about your shenaningans and put the kibosh on that idea. So now your responsible for two spots shutting down, one before it even got a chance. Way to go Krook.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:10 pm

My basement, AKA The Second Cup Cafe will no longer be hosting shows either due to Zach Krook and his merry band of rapscallions

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:14 pm

tim, zacks story was made up. hes not responsible. please consider having nicks show at your crib
Tu vir nunc es, canis

creepykid

Post by creepykid » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:18 pm

zach krook suck my dick you suck you ruined everything etc.....i also don't know how to read or have a sense of humor..... :roll:

laffeyn

Post by laffeyn » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:35 pm

The building The Playground was in is apparently for rent again? Someone rent that shit out and do it right this time. Not like those fags did it before.

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:41 pm

i like that building a lot
Tu vir nunc es, canis

KY Jelly Belly

Post by KY Jelly Belly » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:43 pm

Nick wrote:I guess you don't know what you had until it is gone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i28UEoLXVFQ

I'll go ahead and throw my 2 cents in, this sucks that it had to end this way but I am glad that it lasted as long as it did. People need to stop playing the blame game, we all know about Zach and his "crew" of drunken, stoned teens but like Rhino said learn from the mistakes and take the reins. Be more positive and look for another venue/space, this isn't the end of DIY spaces and punk rock in Des Moines! I agree with Jordan, the Ames Progressive is a cool DIY spot and Nate (the dude who books shows/runs sound/etc) is a super cool dude, I'm sure he'd love to have more shows of ANY kind!

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:09 pm

i advise all the punks who need a place to live to go in with molar and get the playground
Tu vir nunc es, canis

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:12 pm

also i think it should be made clear that all of this is kyle grubbs stepdads fault
Tu vir nunc es, canis

ginx86

Post by ginx86 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:53 pm

servo wrote:tim, zacks story was made up. hes not responsible. please consider having nicks show at your crib
Yeah I was making a joke.

Me and the wife did discuss helping host shows this morning, specifically the Transgressions show but theres quite a few obstacles of having it here:

1) the neighbors - The neighbors in the houses on both sides of me are pretty cool and I don't think noise levels would be too much of an issue as long as I ran it by them first but using up what little parking there is on the street would be an issue.

2)Small basement - if it wasn't sectioned off the way it is my basement would be big enough but the way it is now trying to fit a band and more than 10 or 11 people down there at once would be nearly impossible.

3) Fucking Parents - My mom and stepdad are coming in to stay with us for a few days on the 6th, so the 5th would be bad timing for us.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:55 pm

didn't read all of it (mostly the last page of long winded cockpulling) but krook is the best part about this thread.
also, nuke the midwest.

Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:59 pm

someone craigslist link the playground

//

zack krook rips this thread

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:05 pm

"It's too bad it got shut down. Thistle's Whistle never got to play again."

-J.Ful

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:06 pm

THISTLE AND THE WHISTLEHOLES

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:14 pm

also
LOOK WHAT YOU DID YOU LITTLE JERK!

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:28 pm

THIS JUST IN: No one in Des Moines has a basement!

-Joe.

Beaver

Post by Beaver » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:51 pm

Best HB show EVER: Hatchet!!!

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:01 pm

ginx86 wrote:
servo wrote:tim, zacks story was made up. hes not responsible. please consider having nicks show at your crib
Yeah I was making a joke.

Me and the wife did discuss helping host shows this morning, specifically the Transgressions show but theres quite a few obstacles of having it here:

1) the neighbors - The neighbors in the houses on both sides of me are pretty cool and I don't think noise levels would be too much of an issue as long as I ran it by them first but using up what little parking there is on the street would be an issue.

2)Small basement - if it wasn't sectioned off the way it is my basement would be big enough but the way it is now trying to fit a band and more than 10 or 11 people down there at once would be nearly impossible.

3) Fucking Parents - My mom and stepdad are coming in to stay with us for a few days on the 6th, so the 5th would be bad timing for us.
Thanks a lot for even considering it, Tim. That rules of you, even if it isn't something that is feasible.

moltar

Post by moltar » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:39 pm

Got hung up on about three words into it with the playground. #six six nine nine five five eight.

Laser and I have two tours set up. If you're interested in jumping in on some housing or a building lease shoot me a pm.

MATT MUTT

Post by MATT MUTT » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:34 pm

Since 2001 when we played our first show here, alot of shit has changed. this is just a refresh point.

1) we have the Beechwood lounge 21+ shows, 100% of door usually goes to bands.

2) I booked alot in the past, and still can book shows at Skate South, and infact have been talking to them alot currently about doing more skateboard/punk shows.

3) I have a basement with a bar that I would do shows at. in the summer on Sundays.

4) I useto and still can set up shows an hour south of here in a building that only cost $35 a day, and that has no town cop.

5) I'd be willing to go in with someone to rent a place. only thing is it'd have to be regulated.

when the fallout shelter was going on is a good example: Nate wouldn't let you drink inside but out in the van was ok. cops cant bust a venue for kids drinking in their car, but cops can bust kids drinking in their car.
so I would encourage people that want to get wasted at shows to do it in a manner that wouldn't directly effect the venue or the people there.