More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Re: Haunted Basement shutdown?

Post by Bullet Tooth » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:47 am

maybe not but you and your friends are responsible for too much of the trashing of that place.

i predict no other diy space will arise.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:50 am

Bullet Tooth wrote:i predict no other diy space will arise.
Des Moines just needs to be nuked off the map.

-Joe.

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:53 am

Bullet Tooth wrote:maybe not but you and your friends are responsible for too much of the trashing of that place.

i predict no other diy space will arise.
/THREAD.
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

zach krook

Post by zach krook » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:54 am

yeah, but 99 percent of the trashing we do there is backed by nate, so i guess when it all comes down to it...

FUCK NATE AND HIS DUMB FUCKING SOUTH SIDE CREW.
Persona non grata

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:59 am

Fuck Mark Phillips for moshing too hard during Hercules and putting a hole in the wall in the back in the first place. It's his fucking fault everything spiraled out of control. If he hadn't done that, everything would be fine today and the dishes would have never been left undone. :evil: :evil:

-Joe.

Shane

Post by Shane » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:07 am

Yeah, this sucks, and fuck the south side crew regardless of their involvement in this, but it was bound to happen at some point. DIY venues rarely last that long, so we should just be glad that we got what we did from the Haunted Basement. We should use this as a building point and improve what's left of the scene. Start (good) bands, find houses to use as DIY venues, etc. I mean, seriously, is Boy Meets World the only local band left that played shows at the HB? It's about time we tried to re-invigorate everything.

Or we could just wallow in this bullshit and not have fun anymore. Whatever.
Joey Chaos wrote:Shane's gonna find out the hard way.

zach krook

Post by zach krook » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:10 am

shane eat a dick.

you just hold a grudge because i gave you a wedgie once and told you that i hid your drums in the river.

none of us dislike you or anything, so i don't see what your deal is.
Persona non grata

moltar

Post by moltar » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:21 am

Potter wrote:I hate this place! Fuck the Haunted Basement!

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:29 am

Good luck finding another DIY spot or trying to make one when everyone hates each other and doesn't want to work together.

Nuke the midwest.

-Joe.

zach krook

Post by zach krook » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:36 am

if there is another place we should just make sure no one let's in shane mcchurch and his stupid fucking pop punk crew.
Persona non grata

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:57 am

Joe wrote:Good luck finding another DIY spot or trying to make one when everyone hates each other and doesn't want to work together.

Nuke the midwest.

-Joe.
Which is stupid, I don't hate anyone and I don't see why it's so hard not to do. Due to the Haunted Basement I met a lot of you and I feel like we've become pretty good friends. It's stupid we can't work together and put aside our differences. Dumb shit happens all the time, get over it... that shouldn't fuck things up for bands that want to come and play here, or be a reason to just give up on music in Des Moines.
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:12 am

What I would like to know is who is the dumbfuck that called the cops? Why in the hell would someone call the cops because some guy throws a bass off a roof? Did it hurt anybody besides the bass. if it we're me, I'd fiind out who the snitch is and trash their house before you all have to move out.
I poop on Petland!

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:20 am

tylerjames515 wrote:
Joe wrote:Good luck finding another DIY spot or trying to make one when everyone hates each other and doesn't want to work together.

Nuke the midwest.

-Joe.
Which is stupid, I don't hate anyone and I don't see why it's so hard not to do. Due to the Haunted Basement I met a lot of you and I feel like we've become pretty good friends. It's stupid we can't work together and put aside our differences. Dumb shit happens all the time, get over it... that shouldn't fuck things up for bands that want to come and play here, or be a reason to just give up on music in Des Moines.
people have been doing diy spaces successfully for years. the hb was in a perfect location and could have also gone on a while. theres ways to do it if people can grow up a little and stop being retards. i dont see it happening though.

Varg
Failed DMACC

Post by Varg » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:51 am

tylerjames515 wrote:

*I beg to differ.
---success in social interaction lies in making them afraid to see you disapprove

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:25 am

i've taken a stab at offering a space and finding a space in the past, and would love to continue in trying to find a legit space...but my experience with this in the past is that most of you are whiney theiving pussies who are impossible to work with and make happy...you all want a confined box in which you can break everything and act like drunken douchebags, something of which is not sustainable and something of which im not going to put my limited time and energy into starting...im almost as cynical as joe...with good reason...too bad about the HB though, too bad there wasnt another place to fall back on...had some great times and aweful times, the good times will be missed...

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:17 am

servo wrote:WAIT WAIT WAIT

so

fucking...

nick....

you have boots autographed by fat mike?
Yes. I got an autographed poster and drumhead (signed by the whole band) and a pair of Fat Mike's old Airwalk snowboarding boots (signed only by him) about 6 or 7 years ago, as a gift from my awesome brother.

One of a kind, dawg.

Shane

Post by Shane » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:29 am

zach krook wrote:none of us dislike you or anything, so i don't see what your deal is.
You and your friends act like assholes constantly. The only reason you come to shows is to get fucked up. I've never seen you donate to a show you weren't playing. You frequently do dumb shit that actually negatively affects people around you and when they get mad about it you act like they're the assholes, not you. This is NOT an isolated incident.
Joey Chaos wrote:Shane's gonna find out the hard way.

moltar

Post by moltar » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:49 am

Animal Mothers is in no way involved with the eviction. I thought, having done this bit three days ago, that more people would catch on.

As for the Haunted Basement, the venue business is dwindling and ghosts are barely a theme anymore. So, I put on my thinking cap and pulled some strings. We've decided to rename the place The Blarney Stone. The new club will be an Irish themed college bar. I didn't want to say anything about the acts we have scheduled to come through, but here's a little piece.....Rancid.

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:13 am

Let's just step aside here and be happy for the fact that a totally illegal venue existed in the town of Des Moines for two years. I absolutely never thought it would last this long, and regardless of how many shows I went to there over the last year (sorry, it started smelling even worse and becoming even more of a weed zone), I was always grateful for it to be around.

And now, yes, let's get moving on a new DIY space.

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:26 am

moltar wrote: So, I put on my thinking cap and pulled some strings. We've decided to rename the place The Blarney Stone. The new club will be an Irish themed college bar. I didn't want to say anything about the acts we have scheduled to come through, but here's a little piece.....Rancid.
Fucking lol....

Big Fat Retard
Jizzmopper

Post by Big Fat Retard » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:20 am

Having played the Haunted basement twice, both times doing shows that Orville Sash were on, I found Zach Krook to be a humble, respectful, and well mannered young man.

Elliot does make a great point about a totally illegal venue going for two years. That is an accomplishment everybody there should be proud of. As for it becoming a weed zone, I think that's a positive thing.
I poop on Petland!

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:34 am

El Rhino wrote:Well, it lasted a lot longer than I thought it would.
this

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:48 am

Big Fat Retard wrote:I found Zach Krook to be a humble, respectful, and well mannered young man.
As for it becoming a weed zone, I think that's a positive thing.
Sentence Number Two is the reason you believe Sentence Number One. Not because either of you are bad guys...I'm just sayin.

Thom

Post by Thom » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:19 pm

I had a lot of great times, and made a lot of great friends there. The first summer it was open was one of the best summers of my life.

That being said, fuck des moines. Half of us can't even speak civilly to each other. This drama is old. I'm moving to iowa city.

Also, let's throw a rager and break everything.

Ben M.

Post by Ben M. » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:30 pm

Des Moines needs a DIY music venue, we can't all just move away.

If there hadn't been a real music scene I'd still be trying to get on shows at the House of Bricks. There's an entire set of high school kids that will need a new place to get turned on to good bands.

servo
Soul Calibur Loser

Post by servo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:36 pm

Ben M. wrote:There's an entire set of high school kids that will need a new place to get drunk.
Tu vir nunc es, canis

Ben M.

Post by Ben M. » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:37 pm

servo wrote:
Ben M. wrote:There's an entire set of high school kids that will need a new place to get drunk.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:38 pm

Ben M. wrote:There's an entire set of high school kids that will need a new place to get turned on to good bands.

There's an entire set of high school kids (or thereabouts) who need to take note of what they've seen, take note of what went right and wrong and take the reins.

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:42 pm

Ben M. wrote:Des Moines needs a DIY music venue...
This is true, otherwise what Joe said yesterday is probably inevitable: "RIP punk rock in Des Moines."

Having only moved back here a little less than two years ago (and only finding out about the HB about a year ago), it was pretty amazing to see how the punk scene in Des Moines had changed. There are actually awesome bands that wanted to play Des Moines and make it a point to put it on their tour schedule. I think word of mouth travels pretty fast in the DIY/Punk scene and bands were starting to hear about this awesome placed called The Haunted Basement in Des Moines.

Now will it go back to the days when all you got were bigger, more established punk bands that only play for a "guarantee" and only at places like Hairy Marys or bigger venues like The Mews or House of Bricks? Will all these awesome, smaller bands just skip over Des Moines now, if there is no DIY space? A place where they wouldn't have to deal with the usual crap that goes with playing a show at a "real" venue and they can just play to a small group of kids that are stoked just to see them play in small, sweaty room crammed with friends and people all there for their music.

It's sorta depressing to think about, since the HB certainly seemed to be becoming a true DIY institution in Des Moines for a lot of bands. I guess you don't know what you had until it is gone.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:22 pm

is this the same sorta of discussion that went on when the fallout shelter got shut down? 1 place got shut down, my assumption is that if people care enough(which is a mixed bag) then a few houses will do random shows untill/if ever, a more steady 'diy' spot becomes available, that seems to be how it works around here...not too worried, i can't really participate much right now anyways... i see why everybody is so negative though, the 'scene' has change alot since i've gotten involved...i think for the worse, but maybe thats because i've been looking at it all differently the past few years... ...move to IC... if that solves the problem for you, then thats great, things will be fine here. if not now, then in a year or two... mews brings in plenty of decent shows, the shows nate has booked at the beechwood have been good, although i missed the last one...(granted they are not at a 'diy venue' but they get the job done, and people tend to go away happy)...focus more on show quality than show quality, and maybe it will build back up over time and people will become more influenced to move forward instead of wallow in the past...or give up.