More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

Furious D

Re: Punk and Metal Shows @ the Des Moines Social Club...

Post by Furious D » Sat May 23, 2009 6:55 pm

...and the other half can't afford to spend more than a couple bucks.
....just kidding.

Potter

Post by Potter » Sun May 24, 2009 12:51 pm

The house takes 75 to rent the room. I think less if the Bartender is volunteer, which I am. I've gotten half priced bottles all night for fastening some lighting tresses. When you get the card that says "You are a member," it actually means something.

This could be a really good time? Any body know any bands coming through soon we can book?

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Sun May 24, 2009 1:23 pm

Furious D wrote:
inx515xhell wrote:
DaVo wrote:You figure if you have a show that draws 100 people 80 of them are going to spend at least $15 on booze. That's $1200.
yeah probly not.

Agreed. This estimate is absolutely out of control. Especially for a punk show, no chance in hell.
It really depends on the band but it's safe to say that if you have a show with a good draw and the right draw that you are going to bring in cash. Especially if it brings out the older crowd cause most of us don't drink hams or PBR. You figure if you are selling Imports, top self and shots for $4+ and have 30 of us you are going to make over $1000.00. Hell an average night at GTs or Kungfu most of us will blow between $30 and $50 in a couple of hours.

So yeah a straightedge crossover hardcore metal show isn't going to do that but something like the Bishops or even the Chewicks is going to make real money at the bar. This would especially be true if it was a late show.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Sun May 24, 2009 1:32 pm

El Rhino wrote:Yeah, totally not going to happen. Maybe if you book the US Bombs at the Beechwood or something like that, but at a DIY punk show no way.
Or maybe Murphy's Law or a few hundred other punk bands. It comes down to getting the word out and having at a venue that people are willing to go to. You'd be surprised how many shows drew low but do well at the bar. Like I said it's a promotion that draws people into the bar that would normally be elsewhere. It's hard as an indy promoter to keep that balance between breaking even or making money at the door and keeping the venue happy.

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Sun May 24, 2009 2:14 pm

DaVo wrote: It really depends on the band but it's safe to say that if you have a show with a good draw and the right draw that you are going to bring in cash. Especially if it brings out the older crowd cause most of us don't drink hams or PBR. You figure if you are selling Imports, top self and shots for $4+ and have 30 of us you are going to make over $1000.00. Hell an average night at GTs or Kungfu most of us will blow between $30 and $50 in a couple of hours.

So yeah a straightedge crossover hardcore metal show isn't going to do that but something like the Bishops or even the Chewicks is going to make real money at the bar. This would especially be true if it was a late show.
Why do you imply that every band is straight edge metal crossover?
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Sun May 24, 2009 2:39 pm

haha yeah kinda annoying.

Potter

Post by Potter » Sun May 24, 2009 2:52 pm

haha yeah kinda annoying.
4 srsly.

The Sideshow Lounge is a micro bar. Local brews only. Although the other night they had 3 dollar domestics. Sierra Nevada, Bud Light and some other shit.

They make the money at the bar and door admission.

75 divided buy 5 dollar cover charge = only 15 people have to show up.

I don't really understand what the concern is.. I've seen the haunted basement packed with as much as 50-60 people.. With shows like that bringing in 5 bucks a head I don't think there will be any problem making back the rent fee.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Sun May 24, 2009 2:57 pm

and for the first show, were paying the 75 outta pocket and are leaving it at that...so witch hunt/brothers get all the funds...but in the future, for more localized shows, yeah it will probably be taken outta door....but i think its worth it.

Potter

Post by Potter » Sun May 24, 2009 3:03 pm

Whats the date on that so I can get in as Bartender for the show.

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Sun May 24, 2009 3:08 pm

tylerjames515 wrote:
DaVo wrote: It really depends on the band but it's safe to say that if you have a show with a good draw and the right draw that you are going to bring in cash. Especially if it brings out the older crowd cause most of us don't drink hams or PBR. You figure if you are selling Imports, top self and shots for $4+ and have 30 of us you are going to make over $1000.00. Hell an average night at GTs or Kungfu most of us will blow between $30 and $50 in a couple of hours.

I don't think I did. I was giving it as an example.

Let's face most of the new school hardcore kids are underage and if they are straight edge are going to drink.

Shane

Post by Shane » Mon May 25, 2009 12:29 am

DaVo wrote: Let's face most of the new school hardcore kids are underage and if they are straight edge are going to drink.
What?
Joey Chaos wrote:Shane's gonna find out the hard way.

JonathanRCR

Post by JonathanRCR » Mon May 25, 2009 4:19 am

Place sounds like it could be really cool. How do I, or who do I talk to to book the place?

myspace.com/redcityradio

JonathanRCR

Post by JonathanRCR » Mon May 25, 2009 4:31 am

Potter, looks like maybe you're the guy to talk to? We (Red City Radio) are looking to book Sunday July 12th... we have/had a hold with VM on that date, but have had little luck getting confirmation on that date as it looks like the date is being booked with several other bands. Any chance of booking here, and getting some locals on board?

-Jonathan RCR

myspace.com/redcityradio

tylerjames515

Post by tylerjames515 » Mon May 25, 2009 4:55 am

DaVo wrote:
tylerjames515 wrote:

I don't think I did. I was giving it as an example.

Let's face most of the new school hardcore kids are underage and if they are straight edge are going to drink.
So that means every band is straight edge metal crossover?
Honestly what the fuck are you talking about.

You don't support the underground hardcore scene so how would you know? I think one of the only underage kids that actually comes to shows anymore is Shane...
Rooster wrote:cant worship the devil unless you are 21 now

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon May 25, 2009 11:29 am

tylerjames515 wrote: So that means every band is straight edge metal crossover?
Honestly what the fuck are you talking about.

You don't support the underground hardcore scene so how would you know? I think one of the only underage kids that actually comes to shows anymore is Shane...

Oh no, what the fuck are YOU talking about? I don't see where he says "every band is straight edge metal crossover".

Yeah, Davo is wrong in his assessment that most new jack hardcore kids are underage but I find it kind of funny that you say he "doesn't support the underground hardcore scene". Sure you've never seen him at the Haunted Basement, but this guy was going to hardcore shows in this town when you were swimming around in your daddy's nutsack. Come on....

Potter

Post by Potter » Mon May 25, 2009 4:11 pm

El Rhino is the voice of reason here. I mean, I just ignore DaVo usually but I think a little bit of respect is due in his direction. Maybe just a little acknowledgement..

Anyways.

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Tue May 26, 2009 11:10 am

tylerjames515 wrote: You don't support the CURRENT underground hardcore scene so how would you know?
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Tue May 26, 2009 3:04 pm

jjjsXe wrote:
tylerjames515 wrote: You don't support the CURRENT underground hardcore scene so how would you know?
Anyone that has know me outside of this forum knows that I have always had a burning interest in the local scene and have spent many years as an active part of it. However at this point in my life my time and money is limited then it has been in the past. Thus I'm going to be a hell of a lot more picky about what I'm going to invest that time and money in. I'm sorry but HB is not the end all, be all of the local scene. In fact it is a very small portion of it. Over the past 3 to 4 years, I've went from going out 3-5 nights a week to going out maybe once or twice a week. There is a lot of reasons for this. One being that I don't have to and my lack of interest in the bands that are playing out. Maybe I'm out of touch but I don't really feel like spending my free time sitting through countless shitty bands anymore. If I'm going out, I would rather have meaningful conversation with friends than be assaulted by music that I have no interest in. If you spent a little time looking around the members of this site and a majority of the scene, I'm sure you would notice that I'm not alone in this. It maybe burn out or it maybe the economy or maybe it is the standard of the shows that are going on.

Live music has been in a decline for a number of years. It may not be the quality of the bands or the shows but arguing with me about the fact that the average age at a all ages show is now over 21 does nothing more than prove this. If a majority of the shows at HB are drawing over 21 they should be at a bar. Sorry but I'm just being honest. I think along the way the point of DIY was lost. It isn't some get cause that should be exclusive and as limited as religion. It was simply, Do It Yourself. Cause if you didn't do it no one else would. A scene doesn't grow because of the number of shows you do, it grows cause of the quality of bands and cause the shows are events. At this point I'm not seeing either one being the case. It's week after week of yeah there's another show at HB or yeah there's another indy/folk/hip hop show at VM. Yawn, yawn, yawn, yawn. Even the larger national shows at People and the Val Air are the same boring second string bands that have been here time and time again.

In closing, I'm not bitching. Just trying to explain why you don't see me at HB shows or the countless other shows in Des Moines. I know how hard it is to promote shows and keep the bands fresh and the fans interested. It's not easy to run a venue but I always know the risks and the money involved in doing a few larger nationals with a draw and have to say, step to the plate and go down swing or stop bitching at me.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue May 26, 2009 3:54 pm

I think it's funny that we have a 40 year old guy explaining why he doesn't hang out in a flophouse with a bunch of post-adolescents.

moltar

Post by moltar » Tue May 26, 2009 4:05 pm

Have you ever been to the HB? How do you even know what shows here are like?

I agree this place should be a bar. That's the only front that would likely pull in income for us. Last I checked though, this isn't the type of place that's going to hold down a liquor license. Also, if profit was our concern then we would have jumped ship way back. The main goal is to be fun and a good stop for bands that need somewhere to play.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Tue May 26, 2009 4:07 pm

ok, first off, this thread isn't about the haunted squated basement, its about a new fresh,clean,nice central location to hold punk and metal and more shows that isn't rundown to shit and completely discrased by douchebaggery...the HB was awesome in its prime, but its gone way down hill,,,and has kinda run its course, especially if there is a better alternative at hand....i think many people would agree...especially when you have people who feel uncomfortable with going there for one reason or another, whether it be feuds with another person/s or just the atmosphere NOBODY should feel to uncomfortable to come out to support local/live bands....thats just shitty

anyways...i sent a long 'mission statement' to the lady who organizes all the events and explained to her that i/we would like to form a 'partnership' with her, to rent out the room for a small fee each month(or work trade) as opposed to 75bucks a show and to have access to use the main stage for larger shows/fests...this would give us access to the room at anytime and i or somebody else would be incharge of keeping track of all the shows...she seemed really intersted in finding a way to make this work out for us...and could see the benifits on both sides....i think there is a lot of potential here...i will post when i hear back from her again, im supposed to meet up with her either tonite or later this week to figure out our 'partnership'...this could be perfect...the only flaw to the room is that its a flat floor space,but building a little stage would be really east to accomplish, i am also going to speak to her about that...(although it isn't completely neccisary)
Last edited by TooManyHumyns on Tue May 26, 2009 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

moltar

Post by moltar » Tue May 26, 2009 4:10 pm

You're just mad I flipped out on Joe. Shit happens. GL with the social club, though I don't see it being better than the mews.
Last edited by moltar on Tue May 26, 2009 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Tue May 26, 2009 4:12 pm

huh? no, that has nothing to do with this.... for the record, you through a fit like a child and broke your things and other peoples things...like a fucking baby...how can you disagree that the HB is not rundown and poorly managed?

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Tue May 26, 2009 4:15 pm

its not even about being mad, im not mad at the HB at all, or its existance... its about finding a better place to have shows, you don't know what your talking about, im trying to have a place specifically in downtown des moines that will support local DIY punk/metal bands...how can you be scathing towards that?

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Tue May 26, 2009 4:17 pm

...i completely understand that it is difficult and hard to maintain a showspace and keep it clean, and in decent shape...but that place is literally falling apart...its not your fault or any one persons fault, its just what happens after you let a bunch of crazy shit happen at shows and then neglect to take care of the issue...maybe im wrong, but like i said, this isnt about the HB, its about a new venue opportunity...many other cities have more than one venue for punk/metal/whatever shows...
Last edited by TooManyHumyns on Tue May 26, 2009 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue May 26, 2009 4:19 pm

moltar wrote:Have you ever been to the HB? How do you even know what shows here are like?

I agree this place should be a bar. That's the only front that would likely pull in income for us. Last I checked though, this isn't the type of place that's going to hold down a liquor license. Also, if profit was our concern then we would have jumped ship way back. The main goal is to be fun and a good stop for bands that need somewhere to play.
I think the last sentence here sums up a HUGE point of what a DIY venue is all about.

moltar

Post by moltar » Tue May 26, 2009 4:21 pm

2 hours of unmerrited verbal abuse can make a guy do some crazy shit. But while we're on the topic of guitars, you should give back that $100 guitar you can't afford.

HB is busted. Tough to unbust with nonpaying roommates and no land lord support. Social Club may be cool. I don't see what makes the SC DIY and Vaudeville not... or anything for that matter. DIY = cred.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Tue May 26, 2009 4:30 pm

ha, you can't ungive things thats childish, thats what you argue about with your ex in junior high...so, no...you have no reason to be pissy with me anyways...so drop your shit...and anyways in joes defence there was no verbal abuse, just tense times during practice and 1 small trivial confrontation...i get that joe can be rediculous at times, and i've been realy annoyed towards him before,thats just joe sometimes... but in this case, he didn't do anything, we were all confused on what part we were going to work on...you brought a shitty mood to practice and sat down not playing for 30 minutes, we tried asking you what was wrong and you pouted and said nothing...get over it...shit happens...that was no excuse to pull a Cobain and break your guitar and parts of joe/thoms drums...and then throw a bass...irrational

anyways DIY=Cred? lol
i'm trying to get a new venue space going, what is wrong with that...i've lost most if not all of whatever 'cred' i've had anyways and could really care less...not that important to me...i don't see what your saying as having a point other than it being you just whining and being a little butt hurt...the space could be pretty bitchen...especially if we can 'rent' it for super cheap each month...how isn't that a good thing? i don't see how you can argue against this at all...
moltar wrote: HB is busted. Tough to unbust with nonpaying roommates and no land lord support.
...very true...
Last edited by TooManyHumyns on Tue May 26, 2009 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Tue May 26, 2009 4:36 pm

moltar wrote: Social Club may be cool. I don't see what makes the SC DIY and Vaudeville not... or anything for that matter. DIY = cred.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIY_ethic

Potter

Post by Potter » Tue May 26, 2009 4:51 pm

I'm booking Red City Radio at the SC for July 12. I think its the type of place where we can pull an all ages show until the early morning because its not just a bar.

Any bands want in on this? PM me or e-mail me.