Places and Times to Mosh in the Near Future

Moderators: Joe, ABOMB515, Darrin

Captain Caveman

Re: sweet bee

Post by Captain Caveman » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:49 am

jjjsXe wrote:
@nonymous wrote:all drama has been settled, hopefully. thom's a good dude, we're all good dudes.

now, pizza party tonight if anyone wants to come(vegan friendly plz). around 6ish. i'll be playing ...And Justice For All Most of the night.

does this mean that meat is not allowed in the info shop? why can't it be all versions of food accepted, i hate specifically vegetarian/vegan food, it's gross and it sucks. what am i supposed to eat if it is only vegan friendly? actually i am not/didn't go to this so it is irrelevant. but still, if such an event were to be held again? what then?
tis lot easier for you to have a not cheesy pepperoni pizza for a night than a bunch of vegans to be eating one.

Thom

Post by Thom » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:42 pm

El Rhino wrote:I'm pretty sure they wouldn't roll out the red carpet for me or anything.
I was more getting at the fact, that a few times when I have been there I just get these really odd looks from everyone in the place. I'm not expecting people to jump up and down, but I also don't expect to feel unwelcome, especially when people keep trying to tell me that its a great community building tool.

I guess I don't see the distinction between the artistic community and everyone else. Why can't we share the space? I'm not saying that musicians are demanding free reign over it, but we are as much a part of the community as anyone else...so why the vehement rejection to our participation? (I'm not trying to talk shit on anyone, I'm just really really confused.)

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:06 pm

but didnt you specifically say that you only want to be a part of it when music networking and shows are going on? thats what i gathered out of your previous post...
Thom wrote:If the infoshop was a significant force in helping the networking of artists/musicians and others in the Des Moines area, I would support it on some level. Unfortunately I haven't seen it.

musicians arent to be rejected..there are spaces for shows all over town...i think the point is that shows are not the main focus of the shop...if somebody is making you feel uncomfortable maybe you should talk to them and introduce yourself, if they are an unfamiliar face then perhaps they are just as uncomfortable as you...but like i said, if you don't want to support it or be a part of it, then why go to it in the first place? especially if your just going to complain in some form about it...i just don't get it

and i think it is a good idea to post events on here...i will make a point in doing so when something comes up

word

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:55 pm

TooManyHumyns wrote: fuck yeah! in justice for all!!!!
dude, what the fuck?

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:01 pm

dooood, in justice for all is a solid album...how can you argue against that...there are some dumb parts in certain songs...but dood blackened is a such a sick song..........though this album almost pales in comparison to previous albums, it's dynamics should not be underwritten, though it is nothing like there previous thrashing jams its still good in its own respect...though didn't bob fucking rock write most of that album??????cuz i know that mother fucker is responsible for the black album and all the bullshit that came after that...whoooooops

kirk hammet should have stayed in exodus

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:13 pm

dude, i know how good that album is.
but its and justice for all, god damn you.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:16 pm

ohhhhhhhh fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

whoooooooopsssssssssssssss

my bad dooooood

:lol:

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:16 pm

LOL
INJUSTICE

Anyway, Bob Rock came on for the Black Album.

Also, all you motherfuckers need to hear the new Metallica single, Motorbreath II.

-Joe.

Thom

Post by Thom » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:17 pm

musicians arent to be rejected..there are spaces for shows all over town...i think the point is that shows are not the main focus of the shop...if somebody is making you feel uncomfortable maybe you should talk to them and introduce yourself, if they are an unfamiliar face then perhaps they are just as uncomfortable as you...but like i said, if you don't want to support it or be a part of it, then why go to it in the first place?
When everyone was asked about their level of support for the infoshop their were promises made about all these events, and all sorts of things that would happen. So far all I've seen happen is a few potlucks and 2 shows.

This sort of attitude is what I'm talking about. Whenever ANYONE suggests using the info shop for anything other than a potluck they are told, thats not what the infoshop is for. I can't honestly say if I like it or not, because I've never even been there because I was not aware of any hours. I didn't think you could even get in unless you personally knew someone with a key.

it just seems too exclusive, and I know I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:34 pm

MOTORBREATH II.

-Joe.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:59 pm

there have been many different workshops that have gone on there, it kinda died over winter, alot of effort went into the caucus of the future...people are trying to pick things up though...there are alot of plans instore for the spring and summer including yellow bike project, food not bombs, shows, movie showings, potlucks and more...if anybody has suggestions they should be made...i think we may start holding meetings on sundays during potlucks so everybody can voice their opinions on what direction they would like to see it go...and some ideas they have...the space has been used by a few different groups to hold meetings and whatnot...which isnt really that exciting but it works....so in any case...there has been more than 2 shows....there were several i didnt make it to......and the info shop CAN be used for shows...its just not the sole purpose there are a lot of liabilities at hand...........and grown up? not having fun? i have all the fun i need i dont know what your definition of fun is but i definitely live a fun and fulfilling life...i have a job, yeah thats a responsibility....and i have a lot of at home responsibilities that i am fine with so i dont really understand that statement...but whatever you want to think is what you want to think, im not going to argue it over the internet...

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:06 pm

and set hours have been in the works for a while...but people need to run the shifts...and all that........i think they were noon-8 daily...noon to 5 on sundays...and if you want to be included and not feel like its excluding you the effort has to be made on both parts...there really hasnt been many people contributing to the shop...i wish i would have done more over the past couple months..im hoping to make up for that in the months to come...but when there are only a few people contributing and a bunch of people complaining it gets wearing...if there are complaints about it why can't the complainer be the one to step up and make it happen?

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:18 pm

...and........i don't really understand the hostility of your posts on this subject...personal problems should not distort your view on a building and its goals....

bullettooth- you are always welcome down at sweet bee....it doesnt really matter if you have conflicting views...in my mind it would be appropriate to offer a variety of views and literature, though i suppose there would be room for disagreement on this one......we all can obviously get along to some extent...

Thom

Post by Thom » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:31 pm

TooManyHumyns wrote:...and........i don't really understand the hostility of your posts on this subject...personal problems should not distort your view on a building and its goals....
I took some of what you said the wrong way, and I apologize. The having fun jab was more of a joke, but I realize how it came off. Personal problems really aren't entering into this, I guess I would just like to see some different things done.

sorry dood, I deleted the objectionable material.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:35 pm

no worries dawg

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:10 pm

link to motorbreath ii, please.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:28 pm

owned :!:

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:08 pm

holy shit!!! :lol: check out the top song on metallica's myspace...veteran of the psych ward....holy shit.....lolololol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thom

Post by Thom » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:21 pm

It actually says veteran of the psychic wars.

and it sucks.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:26 pm

TooManyHumyns wrote:holy shit!!! :lol: check out the top song on metallica's myspace...veteran of the psych ward....holy shit.....lolololol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thom wrote:It actually says veteran of the psychic wars.

and it sucks.
YOU CAN'T TELL ME YOU AREN'T CONSTANTLY STONED!

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:28 pm

fuckkkkkkkk im done with metallica...i keep fuckin all their shit up.......sheiiiit

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:29 pm

fuck its a b.o.c. cover...ooooops

Thom

Post by Thom » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:31 pm

inx515xhell wrote:
TooManyHumyns wrote:holy shit!!! :lol: check out the top song on metallica's myspace...veteran of the psych ward....holy shit.....lolololol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thom wrote:It actually says veteran of the psychic wars.

and it sucks.
YOU CAN'T TELL ME YOU AREN'T CONSTANTLY STONED!
:mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:54 am

Joe wrote:
jjjsXe wrote:
@nonymous wrote:all drama has been settled, hopefully. thom's a good dude, we're all good dudes.

now, pizza party tonight if anyone wants to come(vegan friendly plz). around 6ish. i'll be playing ...And Justice For All Most of the night.

does this mean that meat is not allowed in the info shop? why can't it be all versions of food accepted, i hate specifically vegetarian/vegan food, it's gross and it sucks. what am i supposed to eat if it is only vegan friendly? actually i am not/didn't go to this so it is irrelevant. but still, if such an event were to be held again? what then?
What a silly post.

-Joe.

it may seem silly to you, but eating meat is something i hold dear to my heart and have a passion for. if there were no eatable meat in the world...i don't know what i would do....probably have to become a cannibal.
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:54 am

jjjsXe wrote: it may seem silly to you, but eating meat is something i hold dear to my heart and have a passion for. if there were no eatable meat in the world...i don't know what i would do....probably have to become a cannibal.

Last I checked humans ain't plants, bloodmouth.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:24 pm

bullet tooth, no hard feelings, but you pm'ed me about a practice space and according to my log, i have the last outgoing response with no reply. in any case, the venue aspect of the infoshop was never intended to be the forefront of our efforts.

as far as community building is concerned, we haven't even made a dent. this stems largely from our financial problems over the past few months coming out of the caucuses, and the fact that we've essentially been on hiatus for the cold months.

what we'd like to see in the future is for the space to have regular set hours, an updated website with event listings and cross-link networking with other activities in the area, events and social get-togethers on a regular basis and provide as many free resources that can benefit the community. the coming month will be spent doing outreach and raising funds for the spring/summer. we may move to a better/cheaper location if one comes up, but will remain at 513 E. 6th St. Suite B until that time.

el rhino, you are always welcome. i'm not sure why you continue to throw the word "bolshevism" around when you know many of us are self-identified anarchists. the russian revolution of 1917 is a good place to see the ideological differences/conflicts between bolsheviks and anarchists. in any case, though our space may have obvious influences, we are not exclusive and welcome anyone who wishes to make our community a better place to live.

when we're up and running efficiently, we'll probably have "town hall" meetings in which anyone can attend to discuss the direction/programming of the space. the meetings will be consensus-based.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:19 pm

@nonymous wrote: i'm not sure why you continue to throw the word "bolshevism" around when you know many of us are self-identified anarchists.

Anyone who doesn't agree with me is probably a Bolshevik, Leninist, Marxist and/or a Trotskyite.

Thom

Post by Thom » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:39 pm

El Rhino wrote:
@nonymous wrote: i'm not sure why you continue to throw the word "bolshevism" around when you know many of us are self-identified anarchists.

Anyone who doesn't agree with me is probably a Bolshevik, Leninist, Marxist and/or a Trotskyite.

and NOT AMERICAN

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:39 pm

Thom wrote:
El Rhino wrote:

and NOT AMERICAN

Not a REAL American, that's for sure.

Anyways, today I went to Olympic Flame for lunch. I realized I parked right across the street from Sweet Bee, so I decided to go check it out. It wasn't open though.

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:55 pm

I realized I parked right across the street from Sweet Bee, so I decided to go check it out. It wasn't open though.
it won't have regular hours for a couple months. right now, it's essentially unused aside from pot-lucks and general get togethers.

we'll post once things are fully operational.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken