Edit -
I mean...

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!

-Joe.

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Re: sweet bee

Post by Bullet Tooth » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:31 pm

this place was the biggest let down ever.

Thom

Post by Thom » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:43 pm

THIS JUST IN

ANYONE WHO ISN'T DIRECTLY INVOLVED WITH SWEET BEE IS A FRAT BOY.

That is all.

Walking Thunder

Post by Walking Thunder » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:05 pm

Whatever bro.
-John
Doomed to endure and prevail.

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:17 pm

i don't really get your guys' hostility toward Sweet Bee (though i'm sure it's directed to an individual, not the shop). the Sweet Bee has been great so far; we've held a number of potlucks and other get-togethers. i think the biggest set back has been the number of people who have pledged to be involved, but then dropped off the radar as soon as things started going.

and joe, if you got banned, i'm sure you did something to deserve it. i mean, you probably will admit that, am i right?

and thom, your beef with adam is between you and adam. i heard that you heard that he called you a frat boy. and i've heard from him that he doesn't know who said that, but that he never said it.
and as i'm not adam's spokesperson, you should take it up with him. saying shit like that about the infoshop here in the internet isn't going to solve anything. in fact, it's just going to make more problems.

the infoshop is a great tool for building community and -when it gets warm- hopefully holding more shows. and it's only going to be as good as the people make it. which is why i'm not surprised everyone is complaining: no one's put any energy into it.
Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:06 am

joseph wrote:?
we were in a bit of a financial rut for a while, primarily after the caucus of the future. we are settling that now and will be back and running in the spring. until then, expect there to be social get-togethers and fundraisers leading up to the warm weather.

shows are still a possibility, though the haunted basement is a great new venue so our priority will likely stay with the infoshop itself.

bullet tooth wrote:this place was the biggest let down ever.
well, i'm sorry we haven't met your needs(though i'm quite sure you've never actually been there, let alone invested any time or energy into it). however, being a let down at least means that there was an attempt, which is far better than doing nothing.

this type of space is difficult to get off the ground, no doubt about it. we're going to keep with it and see what the spring/summer brings us.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

Thom

Post by Thom » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:08 am

ilikehorses wrote: saying shit like that about the infoshop here in the internet isn't going to solve anything. in fact, it's just going to make more problems.
The fact is, I've never been directly invited to anything that goes on there. I've never been personally welcomed. Every time I have set foot in there everyone just stares at myself and everyone I'm with.

If someone can slander me however they choose on baseless accusations based on what they assume from not even knowing me, I think I can say whatever I want. Of course when someone says something fucked up and people call them on it, they are going to backpedal as hard as possible. I didn't steal anyone's oreos. Just to clear the air.

The fact about shows is that they were forced out of the info shop, after a VERY SUCCESSFUL first show. We made enough money to donate to the infoshop itself, while still being able to pay the touring bands. The fact is there was a show there, and certain parties decided that their personal beef with someone who was involved with one of the bands was great enough to cancel the show. Consequently the haunted basement graciously stepped up and shouldered the responsibility despite the physical damage to the venue (which is more than I could say for the infoshop).

I realize that soon, key parties will be saying now that I am a meat head, and I'm sure that everyone in contact with this person will begin telling stories about all the fucked up things I have done.

All I'm saying is that it's easy to hide behind your politics, but sooner or later people are going to see what kind of person you really are.

AFTER ALL THAT, I love you ed.

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:38 am

Thom wrote:
ilikehorses wrote: saying shit like that about the infoshop here in the internet isn't going to solve anything. in fact, it's just going to make more problems.
The fact is, I've never been directly invited to anything that goes on there. I've never been personally welcomed. Every time I have set foot in there everyone just stares at myself and everyone I'm with.
i'm sorry you havent been invited. i'm sure it's just a simple matter of people not calling others, it's nothing personal. and the only time i remember people coming and others staring is during the screening of Behind The Mask, when people came in mid-movie. (i don't even remember if you were in that group, but i assume you were since you mentioned the oreos) and i was one of the people staring, because everyone barged in mid-movie, making a lot of noise and standing between me and the screen.

If someone can slander me however they choose on baseless accusations based on what they assume from not even knowing me, I think I can say whatever I want. Of course when someone says something fucked up and people call them on it, they are going to backpedal as hard as possible. I didn't steal anyone's oreos. Just to clear the air.
no one's slandered you. no one cares about the oreos. being upset about the oreos was a joke. it was funny. no one thinks poorly of you.

The fact about shows is that they were forced out of the info shop, after a VERY SUCCESSFUL first show. We made enough money to donate to the infoshop itself, while still being able to pay the touring bands. The fact is there was a show there, and certain parties decided that their personal beef with someone who was involved with one of the bands was great enough to cancel the show. Consequently the haunted basement graciously stepped up and shouldered the responsibility despite the physical damage to the venue (which is more than I could say for the infoshop).
i don't know anything about this. i don't know who has a personal beef and what show was canceled, so i can't really say anything on that specific matter.
I realize that soon, key parties will be saying now that I am a meat head, and I'm sure that everyone in contact with this person will begin telling stories about all the fucked up things I have done.
who does that? i've never heard anyone do that. i've never heard anyone say anything bad about you. this is fucking drama and fucking "i heard from so-and-so who heard from so-and-so that you said" bullshit. you should really check who your sources are and realize that theyre not the best to get real information from.
All I'm saying is that it's easy to hide behind your politics, but sooner or later people are going to see what kind of person you really are.

AFTER ALL THAT, I love you ed.
i have no hard feelings toward you at all. but i think tiny situations and rumors are being blown out of proportion and are counterproductive to having a really good community in des moines. the infoshop is such a good tool for us to have. and i truly believe as spring hits, it can become a great space for everyone to enjoy. but holding grudges over insignificant bullshit isn't going to help anyone.
Even today, I can't see a car run a red light without instantly having an image flash into my head of a man's erect penis, penetrating a watermelon.

UGH I SUCK

joseph

Post by joseph » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:38 pm

oh.
i was just curious. i hadnt heard it referenced in a while. i didnt really know what was involved with it. i just thought it was odd that it was spoken of on this board in a postive way and then i hadnt heard any mention of it in awhile. i try to stay more informed.

Thom

Post by Thom » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:46 pm

If the infoshop was a significant force in helping the networking of artists/musicians and others in the Des Moines area, I would support it on some level. Unfortunately I haven't seen it.

I guess if it becomes that in the future, I will. That is if I'm allowed to.

On the matter of personal grievances, what was said about me was deeply offensive, and I kindly asked for an apology once. I was denied. Thats all I ask for.

I'm not talking about this anymore. If you want to further know my personal thoughts, and I why I have acted the way I have in certain instances I'm sure you will "catch me out" as yuppie so eloquently put it.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:13 pm

ilikehorses wrote: and joe, if you got banned, i'm sure you did something to deserve it. i mean, you probably will admit that, am i right?
I put a Speed Metal Hell sticker on the door.

-Joe.

andrewd

Post by andrewd » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:44 pm

ooof.

Hey joe,

the Haunted Basement rules. Thanks for doing sweet shows there.

sincerely,
andrew

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:53 pm

andrewd wrote:ooof.

Hey joe,

the Haunted Basement rules. Thanks for doing sweet shows there.

sincerely,
andrew
No prob.

And I guess I'm NOT "banned" from Sweet Bee or something.

Tempers flare.

-Joe.

andrewd

Post by andrewd » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:12 pm

hey joe,

you should come up to Waterloo/CF soon.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:16 pm

I think some of us might come up for that 7" release show. It's not concrete yet, but a possibility.

-Joe.

ilikehorses
Fun\Death Dealer

Post by ilikehorses » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:21 pm

Thom wrote:If the infoshop was a significant force in helping the networking of artists/musicians and others in the Des Moines area, I would support it on some level. Unfortunately I haven't seen it.

On the matter of personal grievances, what was said about me was deeply offensive, and I kindly asked for an apology once. I was denied. Thats all I ask for.

I'm not talking about this anymore. If you want to further know my personal thoughts, and I why I have acted the way I have in certain instances I'm sure you will "catch me out" as yuppie so eloquently put it.
the question is, to me, did he say it -whatever it was? who told you he said anything? it's a case of drama and rumors. i think you can pull yourself above that kind of shit.

also, the infoshop is not directly for artists and bands. it's about community and people.

UGH I SUCK

andrewd

Post by andrewd » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:23 pm

Joe wrote:I think some of us might come up for that 7" release show. It's not concrete yet, but a possibility.

-Joe.

Do it!

@nonymous

Post by @nonymous » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:25 pm

all drama has been settled, hopefully. thom's a good dude, we're all good dudes.

now, pizza party tonight if anyone wants to come(vegan friendly plz). around 6ish. i'll be playing ...And Justice For All Most of the night.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" - H. L. Mencken

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:36 pm

Thom wrote:
f the infoshop was a significant force in helping the networking of artists/musicians and others in the Des Moines area, I would support it on some level. Unfortunately I haven't seen it.

the fact of the matter is that sweet bee is not just for networking musicians and artists...unfortunately it seems as though many people view it as that. The few shows that have happened there so far were quite successful and fun...and i think it would be a good idea to hold shows there in the future for funding the space itself. if your only interested in contributing and helping with sweet bee to do shows then i suppose that you may become frustrated and disappointed, there is far more that goes into contributing and building a scene and community aside from doing shows. We all need to get over our beef with one another and get to know eachother better if we are to work together and make something of des moines, including myself...thats seems to be what the problem has been in this town throughout the years, personal nonsense...if your talking shit about sweet bee, then dont be a apart of it, its that simple. why is there the need to talk shit on it anyways? and why talk shit and then want to show up to events?...its one of the few talked about things in des moines that actually surfaced and came to light. so many more projects could potentially come to life because of the existence of the shop in des moines, its just a matter of the community making it happen and time.
Thom wrote: The fact is, I've never been directly invited to anything that goes on there. I've never been personally welcomed. Every time I have set foot in there everyone just stares at myself and everyone I'm with.
there is an email list which people can sign up for. you will receive emails and notices whenever an event is held...i try and tell people if there is something going on...there is a calender in the shop that has any events on it so...ive heard of everything by word of mouth for the most part...you have to involve yourself in order to be involved
Last edited by TooManyHumyns on Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TooManyHumyns

Post by TooManyHumyns » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:38 pm

@nonymous wrote:all drama has been settled, hopefully. thom's a good dude, we're all good dudes.

now, pizza party tonight if anyone wants to come(vegan friendly plz). around 6ish. i'll be playing ...And Justice For All Most of the night.

fuck yeah! in justice for all!!!!
vegan friendly? what am i supposed to eat?

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:36 am

@nonymous wrote:all drama has been settled, hopefully. thom's a good dude, we're all good dudes.

does this mean that meat is not allowed in the info shop? why can't it be all versions of food accepted, i hate specifically vegetarian/vegan food, it's gross and it sucks. what am i supposed to eat if it is only vegan friendly? actually i am not/didn't go to this so it is irrelevant. but still, if such an event were to be held again? what then?
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:10 am

@nonymous wrote:
joseph wrote:?
we were in a bit of a financial rut for a while, primarily after the caucus of the future. we are settling that now and will be back and running in the spring. until then, expect there to be social get-togethers and fundraisers leading up to the warm weather.

shows are still a possibility, though the haunted basement is a great new venue so our priority will likely stay with the infoshop itself.

bullet tooth wrote:this place was the biggest let down ever.
well, i'm sorry we haven't met your needs(though i'm quite sure you've never actually been there, let alone invested any time or energy into it). however, being a let down at least means that there was an attempt, which is far better than doing nothing.

this type of space is difficult to get off the ground, no doubt about it. we're going to keep with it and see what the spring/summer brings us.
yeah ive been there. as far as investing anything in it, ive offered and no one took me up on it. in fact i believe i pm'd you and offered. so if there was a lack of effort, it certainly wasnt on my part. the only thing i care about thats involved in sweet bee is pertaining to shows. there hasnt been any lately(even though they'd help with your financial problems). thats the let down. i find it kind of weird that you'd be so sure of 2 things that you'd have no idea of anyway and that you have no intention of taking me up on. as far as your intentions on building community or whatever, i havent seen anything anywhere involving any event at the infoshop so if youre trying to get shit done, youre not doing a lot to make it well known. its really whatever to me at this point, i enjoy the haunted basement.

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:41 am

jjjsXe wrote:

does this mean that meat is not allowed in the info shop? why can't it be all versions of food accepted, i hate specifically vegetarian/vegan food, it's gross and it sucks. what am i supposed to eat if it is only vegan friendly? actually i am not/didn't go to this so it is irrelevant. but still, if such an event were to be held again? what then?
What a silly post.

-Joe.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:18 am

TooManyHumyns wrote: there is an email list which people can sign up for. you will receive emails and notices whenever an event is held...i try and tell people if there is something going on...there is a calender in the shop that has any events on it so...ive heard of everything by word of mouth for the most part...you have to involve yourself in order to be involved

Why don't you just post some shit here in addition to sending an email?

I've only been to this place once, for that Aeon Grey/ Beati whatever the fuck they are / effeminate young man with an acoustic guitar / some dudes from NY show. I liked it as a DIY venue, especially the small room.

I've never checked out the "infoshop" part of it, but I am kind of curious to check out an event at this place. I get along with @dam just fine, but as far as feeling welcome goes, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't roll out the red carpet for me or anything.

Honestly, I'd be hesitant to seriously "support" this place beyond going to a show or something without knowing what's going on in the infoshop part. I don't want to support Bolshevism, you know? I can deal with some things I don't agree with and all, but there's a line.

What's this "community building" you speak of? Can one of you give me the "mission statement" or whatever on this?

Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:49 am

aw shucks
Last edited by Captain Caveman on Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.