More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

kurtis
Represent!

ice cream trucks are still illegal in iowa right?

Post by kurtis » Fri May 06, 2011 6:52 pm

cause one just went through our parking lot with music full blast. kids were running all over the place.

of course we went and got some.

DaVo

Re: ice cream trucks are still illegal in iowa right?

Post by DaVo » Fri May 06, 2011 8:50 pm

kurtis wrote:cause one just went through our parking lot with music full blast. kids were running all over the place.

of course we went and got some.
No they were never illegal in Iowa. I think it comes down to cities issuing permits for them. My sister takes my Nephew to Bondurant all the time to get Ice Cream cause she knows the guy that runs the truck.

Someone told me a long time ago that the reason they didn't have them in Des Moines was because some kid was hit by a car chasing after an Ice Cream truck in the 70s but I think it's an urban legend.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

Nick

Post by Nick » Sat May 07, 2011 8:17 pm

I coulda swore I heard goddamn ice cream truck music in Ankeny the other night. I looked out my window and didn't see a truck though and I was bummed.

kurtis
Represent!

Post by kurtis » Sat May 07, 2011 10:55 pm

that is where im at. it came back today.

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Sun May 08, 2011 7:24 pm

Fucking ice cream trucks. Those shits roll through my neighborhood until 11pm most nights. That song never leaves your head in the summer..
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

nate

Post by nate » Sun May 08, 2011 9:39 pm

I'm pretty sure the story about the kid getting hit by a truck several decades ago is true. (It seems like the Register reported on this a while back...) That's why there is a ban on ice cream trucks within the city. However, it wouldn't be a statewide ban.

Jivi

Post by Jivi » Fri May 13, 2011 8:28 pm

A kid did get hit in the 70's and every time someone tries to get a license in Des Moines the parents ,some how single handedly, get the city counsel to not grant the permit. I had a friend go to get a permit for an ice cream bike and they showed up and kept him from getting it.
i'd rather die on my feet then live on my knees

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Fri May 13, 2011 9:22 pm

Jivi wrote:A kid did get hit in the 70's and every time someone tries to get a license in Des Moines the parents ,some how single handedly, get the city counsel to not grant the permit. I had a friend go to get a permit for an ice cream bike and they showed up and kept him from getting it.
See that is just simply silly. What a great way to honor the tragic death of your child. Looks like the last time it came up was 4 years ago - http://www.kcci.com/r/11251373/detail.html
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

Bonolota

Post by Bonolota » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:23 am

I love to learn.

Barcass Grinder

Post by Barcass Grinder » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:37 pm

There's a Stan's Ice Cream van that drives around here periodically, you can hear him coming from miles away. It's parked at the seediest, creepiest run-down fucking motel in town when it's not out making it's rounds.