More Online Drama than Afternoon Soaps

Moderators: kylervk, Joe, Hank Fist, inx515xhell

joseph

movie theaters advicesss

Post by joseph » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:49 pm

is there really a difference in seating/ audio/ screen size/ prices?

is there a drive in still in driving distance?

kylervk

Re: movie theaters advicesss

Post by kylervk » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:52 pm

newton has one

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:56 pm

kylervk wrote:newton has one
http://www.valledrive-in.com/

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:59 pm

go to nova. its now a first run theater and its cheaper than the rest.

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:00 pm

ps. its one of the few places you can get jalapenos with your nachos.

Thom

Post by Thom » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:24 pm

Not a nova fan. Its cheaper, but the last few times I've been there there were some problems. They seem to project the film too large (as in, part of it is playing on the wall) and totally out of focus. The last time (opening night of funny people) they didn't even dim the lights for the first 5 minutes of the movie, after showing the same stupid coke advertisement several times in a row.

buut I'm not a huge fan of century or wynnsong either. They seem to have nice sound/projection but they are outrageous with their prices.

Jalapenos on nachos are pretty rad though.

JillJillJill

Post by JillJillJill » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:42 pm

Wynnsong is soooo easy to just walk into via the exits. Copper Creek is horrible.... and no jalapenos there!

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:51 pm

All theatres are easy to just walk into.

-Joe.

Nickyouredead

Post by Nickyouredead » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:37 pm

Haha.

inx515xhell

Post by inx515xhell » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:06 pm

srsly, what the fuck is a 16 year old door kid gonna say to a grown ass man who walks right buy him and mumbles something(talkin joeseph here)?

jason

Post by jason » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:59 pm

just to one-up the walk in through the exit notion, i'd suggest walking in through the front of wynsong and then going in through the left door. with the exception of fri/sat nights and weekend matinees they rarely have someone taking tickets on that side, the apathetic employees don't give a fuck.

i think it's the best theater in des moines, but i like the digital projection. interesting that ingloruious basterds was on film there, i hadn't seen anything in film at that theater for years.

Thom

Post by Thom » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:49 am

Kinda was wondering if Inglorious Bastards was any good. Thoughts?

Joe
Video Game Elitist

Post by Joe » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:51 am

It's good, go see it.

-Joe

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:12 am

Everything QT has ever done has bored the pants off me. I didn't like Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs and I wanted to pull my hair out after the three hours I spent in a movie theater to see Grindhouse. I know a lot of the "I call movies 'flicks'" assholes don't like him simply because he's doing the indie-style films in a mainstream setting (similar to some punk idiot saying he doesn't like Rancid simply because they sold a lot of records) but I'm not in that crowd. I just really can't get into his movies. I hear it's good but I think this is one I'll watch if it falls into my lap and that's about it.

robdigi

Post by robdigi » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:40 am

I like everything he's done and that shapes my opinion of this movie a bit... but I'd say if any of his films can stand alone, it's this one. Definitely heavy with his typical style of dialogue, but it's used in a more suspenseful and tense way than his other films. More function, less style. Amazing cast, too.
All that's missin' is the retired band teacher with the self-inflicted gunshot wound!

elliot
Represent!

Post by elliot » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:55 am

jason wrote: with the exception of fri/sat nights and weekend matinees they rarely have someone taking tickets on that side, the apathetic employees don't give a fuck.
As a former said apathetic employee, I can totally vouch for this.
El Rhino wrote:Everything QT has ever done has bored the pants off me.
Kill Bill, Ryan. Kill friggin Bill. Come on.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:40 am

Went to the matinee last Friday. It was packed full of 70+ year olds. But we all still laughed together at the parts that were gruesome yet funny.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:52 am

saw it last night. no matter what you think of tarentino, if you like seeing dead nazis see it. totally like a 70's C movie. i do approve of nazi hate not being a hate crime.

i do not approve of sneaking into movies. thats like sneaking into shows.

El Rhino
515 Ambassador

Post by El Rhino » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:05 am

elliot wrote:Kill Bill, Ryan. Kill friggin Bill. Come on.
Oh yeah, forgot about that one. Didn't like that one either.

joseph wrote:saw it last night. no matter what you think of tarentino, if you like seeing dead nazis see it. totally like a 70's C movie. i do approve of nazi hate not being a hate crime.
Eh, not really. I'm in the minority of people who respect and feel sorry for German war veterans circa WWII. The overwhelming majority of them were just upstanding, highly proficient and honorable soldiers fighting for their country. When/if they did make it back home they came back to a government that pretty much turned their backs on them despite all they did and went through, not to mention finding their country torn between the two belief systems they were fighting against. Demonize Hitler, Himmler, Eichmann? Whatever, sure. Would I get a boner watching German soldiers being killed on the silver screen? No. I don't hate them.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:13 am

El Rhino wrote:
joseph wrote:saw it last night. no matter what you think of tarentino, if you like seeing dead nazis see it. totally like a 70's C movie. i do approve of nazi hate not being a hate crime.
Eh, not really. I'm in the minority of people who respect and feel sorry for German war veterans circa WWII. The overwhelming majority of them were just upstanding, highly proficient and honorable soldiers fighting for their country. When/if they did make it back home they came back to a government that pretty much turned their backs on them despite all they did and went through, not to mention finding their country torn between the two belief systems they were fighting against. Demonize Hitler, Himmler, Eichmann? Whatever, sure. Would I get a boner watching German soldiers being killed on the silver screen? No. I don't hate them.
i get that. im not talking about german soldiers im talking about nazis. the only germans soldiers that get killed in the movie are in the wrong place at the wrong time. the nazis get killed because theyre nazis, not because theyre german soldiers.
there is a difference.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:10 am

and the Waltz dude that plays the Gestapo "Jew Hunter" is pure genius in this movie. great performance.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:40 am

Hank Fist wrote:and the Waltz dude that plays the Gestapo "Jew Hunter" is pure genius in this movie. great performance.
i didnt like him at all.

Hank Fist
Shaolin

Post by Hank Fist » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:23 pm

joseph wrote:
Hank Fist wrote:and the Waltz dude that plays the Gestapo "Jew Hunter" is pure genius in this movie. great performance.
i didnt like him at all.
i don't think you were supposed to.

joseph

Post by joseph » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:30 pm

Hank Fist wrote:
joseph wrote:
i didnt like him at all.
i don't think you were supposed to.
i was talking about the actor. the character was ok i thought the actor was meh

Bullet Tooth
One Man Wall of Death

Post by Bullet Tooth » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:46 pm

El Rhino wrote:Everything QT has ever done has bored the pants off me. I didn't like Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs and I wanted to pull my hair out after the three hours I spent in a movie theater to see Grindhouse. I know a lot of the "I call movies 'flicks'" assholes don't like him simply because he's doing the indie-style films in a mainstream setting (similar to some punk idiot saying he doesn't like Rancid simply because they sold a lot of records) but I'm not in that crowd. I just really can't get into his movies. I hear it's good but I think this is one I'll watch if it falls into my lap and that's about it.
i dont think im quite a tarantino hater but i cant think of one of his movies that ive ever really cared for repeat watching. i mean every once in a while maybe but most of the time its entertaining for the first time i saw it and thats about it.

that being said, im still going to try to see this one in the theater.

Darrin

Post by Darrin » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:52 pm

joseph wrote: i was talking about the actor. the character was ok i thought the actor was meh
That character/actor was probably my favorite in the movie.

jjjsXe

Post by jjjsXe » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:16 pm

Darrin wrote:
joseph wrote: i was talking about the actor. the character was ok i thought the actor was meh
That character/actor was probably my favorite in the movie.
agreed
abortions for some, miniature american flags for others

DaVo

Post by DaVo » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:51 am

I like Nova cause it is cheap. Since it is cheap you are not going to get the best projection or sound. I can say the same of a few features I've seen at the Fleur and paid full price there.

My favorite theater is the Varsity. They have real butter and the best popcorn. The sound system and projection are passable and it is dark like it should be. Also like Merle Hay too. The best uber theaters are Wynnsong or the one at Jordon Creek.

As far as QT goes, he peaked on Pulp Fiction. Everything since has been in some silly retro kick with a couple of cool scenes surrounded by a bunch of shit. I think I'll be waiting till this is on cable in about 6 months. District 9 seems a lot more interesting.
I paid my dues but I lost my Receipt.

Thom

Post by Thom » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:14 am

District 9 sucked you dumbass.

Inglorious Bastards was good. who cares about QT, his name sells tickets, movie companies know that.